Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I haven't been on here in forever (school, work, yadda yadda) but I have a favor to ask! A good friend of mine (I actually taught her to ride on a little Hyosung GT250 - she's on an FZR600 now) is in premed, with one of her minors in sociology. She has to write a research paper on a "subculture" - she chose to write it on motorcycle writers. Specifically, why the low number of female riders compared to male riders. Anyway, she was hoping a few of you could contribute to her survey!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18q51StqdSp2E0x-Jjs8QZEwLVcj1-uwiis9PpeYhEEU/viewform?c=0&w=1

Thanks in advance,
Patrick

·
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure. She says she doesn't mind if I upload a copy of her paper as well. See what you all think of her conclusions.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'm guessing cruiser = standard.
Try telling that to a sports bike rider!

Several questions didn't have an answer that suited me.

Do I ride with others - all the time, I take a pillion

And why the limited, derogatory range of answers about female riders, I answered "normal". Not butch, not sexy, not aggressive. It's normal for a woman to ride a bike! Looked to me as if the questioner had a set agenda to prove that men looked down on women riders.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Done. I hope she gets a true sense of why many of us ride. I just really enjoy it. Riding relaxes me even though I've got to concentrate on what I am doing. Our best vacations are when we are riding and exploring this great nation.

I do agree with Steve about the last question. I put in "just another rider".

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I think I probably had the same feeling about that last question as many others did. I added "fellow rider" in the "other" category.

·
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keep the comments coming folks! I'll pass your commentary along to her and hopefully have her update the survey.

Thanks again for the feedback!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I submitted a survey as well.

I found the question about what l think of female riders to be quite interesting, mainly the fact that she wonders what people think of female riders. I don't ever wonder what people think of me riding a motorcycle, other than talking it over with my girlfriend. That is more of a respect issue. I guess there are a lot of things that men and women see differently :)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Since most folks ("yes" I did the survey) have ridden on two wheels since they were young kids, some of the questions need tweaking because of that.

For example: Although the survey would seek to find out "how long have you been riding" and it is understood that the question pertains to motorcycles; yet the skills that one gets in balance and so forth, come from those years on two wheels, LONG before having begun to ride a motorized bicycle (which is essentially what a motorcycle IS).

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I understand that the purpose is to learn how to research and write, but I think her survey base is so broad that she won't be able to get any real, meaningful information out of it. A serious sport bike rider and a 1%er, for example, both own motorcycles, but I wouldn't say they have much else in common or are both a part of the same subculture.

Location might influence the answers too. Here in my area women riders are nothing unusual or noteworthy, and I know a LOT of female riders. Heck, there was a whole dealership just FOR women riders up until recently. In other parts of the country it's a different story and a female on a bike can draw a lot of attention.

Oh, and I did take the survey. :)

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I filled one out, but this is not very well thought out. She should have drafted her survey and asked for input before starting the actual survey. For example, the age breakdowns are ridiculous. And as other have pointed out, the bike types are incomplete. Under why we ride, a simple category of "fun" probably would have received a lot of check marks.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
She is of the age where anyone 35 and over is ready for the nursing home.

She rides a sport bike, taught by a sport bike rider, of course she knows nothing of cruisers.

I clicked other and wrote in fun

The last question, well another good place for "other", I won't tell you what I put yet.

But it appears the survey will not answer her question. If she wants to know why there are less female riders she should ask that question.

·
American Legion Rider
21,088 Posts
I must be dead in her book. I only saw one question that might, if you pushed it, indicate a trend why women don't ride(where she is). Just not enough well worded questions that you could ever reach any kind of conclusion. But then we have truly dumbed down the education system. That one question is probably what she'll base everything on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts