Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I can't post links yet but apparently motorcycle chariot racing was a sport that should never have left. If you Google search it, there are some pretty amazing pictures. Should this type of racing return?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
I would pay to watch :)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
A good friend of mine was going to use some of the money he worked for as a government contractor in the Middle East to build a wild looking chariot sort of trike. He had it all planned out and was going to use a Harley front end and build a custom chariot rear where he could stand and steer with fake metal reins and a pretty clever system of levers and pedals. He was a very good fabricator with an unbelievably fertile mind when it came to getting ideas and turning them into reality. He wasn't going to race it, just tool around to rallies and parades and that sort of thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A good friend of mine was going to use some of the money he worked for as a government contractor in the Middle East to build a wild looking chariot sort of trike. He had it all planned out and was going to use a Harley front end and build a custom chariot rear where he could stand and steer with fake metal reins and a pretty clever system of levers and pedals. He was a very good fabricator with an unbelievably fertile mind when it came to getting ideas and turning them into reality. He wasn't going to race it, just tool around to rallies and parades and that sort of thing.
That sounds amazing!

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Today's fly by wire technology should make doing it pretty easy now too.:thumbsup:

·
Motorbike Macgyver
363 Posts
Some kill-joy somewhere probably declared it was too dangerous and ruined the fun.

I think it'd be a hoot.
Pretty much what happened to board track racing. They would race (motorcycles, cars and I believe also bicycles) on tracks made of very smooth 2x4's. It actually was very dangerous, and for two combined reasons. One, the tracks had a pretty steep angle. Some lower than 40 degrees. Two, the boards were nailed down, but the vibrations from being run over would knock them loose and a corner of a board sticking up was enough to send a racer flying. Many, many people died on board tracks, also known as velodromes. It became very popular in the 20's, but by the mid 30's the last velodrome was closed for good and the sport was banned.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting to learn some cool history facts. I imagine it must have been adrenaline pumping just to watch! I think if the participants are aware of the risks and are adults, if they want to do it then they should be able to go for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts