Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here do any motorcycle camping? I belong to a couple camping groups but don't see much about it on here...

·
Nightfly
4,230 Posts
Many years ago I did some camping by myself. I usually ride alone and thought camping, in out-of-the-way places with no one around, could be a good time to do on weekends. Problem is living on the East Coast, in the dreaded Northeast corridor, it can be difficult to string more than 2 days together without rain. That, and I felt it became a bit dangerous so I gave it up. Now I look for a nice motel somewhere in the mountains or along a beach.

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
--

Probably the easiest way for all weather camping is to use a pop up m.c. camper from Aspen or Bunkhouse. They have sites on line with their products. Or just search m.c. camping.

The only problem with those campers is they often weigh over 600# fully loaded, which is a lot for most m.c.'s. No problem if you have a Goldwing, however. Another option is to haul your gear in a purpose built m.c. trailer that's non-pop up tent. This still allows a fair amount of gear to be carried and is less weight than the pop up tent.

--

·
Nightfly
4,230 Posts
--

Probably the easiest way for all weather camping is to use a pop up m.c. camper from Aspen or Bunkhouse. They have sites on line with their products. Or just search m.c. camping.

The only problem with those campers is they often weigh over 600# fully loaded, which is a lot for most m.c.'s. No problem if you have a Goldwing, however. Another option is to haul your gear in a purpose built m.c. trailer that's non-pop up tent. This still allows a fair amount of gear to be carried and is less weight than the pop up tent.

--
Hey Ron, what about guys like me who travel lite on their Sportster? I usually just carried a bedroll, a blanket and maybe a small tarp and a few necessary items. That trailer sounds cool but it also seems like your going seriously camping. Just asking your opinion, not joking around..

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
:thumbsdown:
Hey Ron, what about guys like me who travel lite on their Sportster? I usually just carried a bedroll, a blanket and maybe a small tarp and a few necessary items. That trailer sounds cool but it also seems like your going seriously camping. Just asking your opinion, not joking around..
--

With what you carried, no wonder you don't do it that way anymore! You won't find many women over 21 that would travel that way either.

I don't have the Goldwing anymore, and a tent camper doesn't work as well with my current ride. My last trip up to South Dakota that way was marginal on fun. The trailer wanted to push me around too much. You need the weight of a big, heavy bike to stay in control.

--

·
Nightfly
4,230 Posts

--

With what you carried, no wonder you don't do it that way anymore! You won't find many women over 21 that would travel that way either.

I don't have the Goldwing anymore, and a tent camper doesn't work as well with my current ride. My last trip up to South Dakota that way was marginal on fun. The trailer wanted to push me around too much. You need the weight of a big, heavy bike to stay in control.

--
Like I said Ron, in those days I usually traveled alone and besides, Sportsters don't carry two that well, especially with a bedroll and such.

I've never ridden a bike while pulling a trailer, I can't imagine how that feels, it must be odd, maybe hard to get used to?

I saw an episode of Moonshiners, I think that's what it was, with a guy riding a big bike delivering shine to all his customers out of a trailer he was pulling. I would imagine that would be a lot of weight to pull around. You'd need a pretty damn good sized bike for that wouldn't you? Seemed nuts to me... Maybe the shine was worth it....

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
The wife and I used to do it all the time. But we lived in California. Fairly easy to string days together but we have spent many in rain. We both rode our own bikes. I would carry two person tent, sleeping bag, blow up mattresses, single burner stove and fuel, a six pack cooler with eggs and bacon as well as change of cloths. She would carry sleeping bag, cooking utensils, another bottle of fuel, a six pack cooler with other food items(maybe a beer or two) and her change of cloths. We were pretty well stuffed. But we could do a week like that by going to store every other day once there and getting more food and ice(as well as more beer and soda). We've taken many a trip like that.

Minus the food, that's how we rode from Cali. to Texas. We took 5 days just for that. Stopping for some assume sites. The wind in Phoenix sucked though! So yes, camping on a bike is great fun. That is when you are younger. We haven't done much since around 2001. The bones are just saying, "hey, aren't you a little old for this?". However if I was to suggest it, I think my wife would give a thumbs up for more. Just not as much as we once did. It's a lot simpler to find a motel now.:)

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
and now you really have to worry about thes idiots gangsta wannaees who don't work and think your money is theirs....i only camp now in established campsites with some security.....it's a shame but it is reality especially in my area

·
Cyborg in training
950 Posts
Anyone here do any motorcycle camping? I belong to a couple camping groups but don't see much about it on here...
Yes. With a ninja I was able to load up enough gear for a few days. By switching to backpacking gear I was able to dramatically reduce the amount of stuff I carried both in weight and size. I am looking to get a BMW R1200GS Adeventure this summer to give myself a bit more room and make it more comfortable on longer trips.

You may want to check out advrider.com forums. Many there do camping type trips.

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
REI is a sporting goods company that has all kinds of goodies that pack small for camping. All my camping gear came from them. Mountaineer camping equipment works well.

·
Cyborg in training
950 Posts
REI is expensive, although they do have a large selection and you can get it that day if there is a retail store near you. If you join their coop member program you get discounts so that helps some especially if you are going to buy a full set of gear. Amazon can often locate the same or similar gear for a lower cost.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My husband and I do this all the time, last summer we went from Colorado to South Florida. He has an HD Ultra Classic that he tows an Aspen Classic popup camper with. He does have the electric brakes on it which seem to prevent the trailer from pushing the bike.
We load our clothes, sleeping bags, food and cooking supplies in it, as well as our full face helmets for bad weather (we wear our half helmets otherwise).
We have a couple small camp chairs and table, if we are going to a particular rally where we will be staying for a few days, we also store a canopy in the trailer.
There is a small cooler on the tongue that holds beverages/snacks. I am diabetic so we make sure I have something I can eat every couple hours.
On shorter trips (one to two days) I ride my bike, on longer trips we ride double on his.

Here is a couple pics of the bike and trailer:

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Very nice, Ladyvtx! We think about doing that, but end up in motels. We also have a motor home that we take to the closer rallies. I drive it to the rally and Randy rides the bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like I said Ron, in those days I usually traveled alone and besides, Sportsters don't carry two that well, especially with a bedroll and such..
Every year at our annual ABATE state rally I see couples pulling in on Sportsters or smaller bikes with all their camping gear for the weekend. Of course they'll be drunk in a couple hours and stay that way so maybe they aren't too worried about what they're sleeping in or what they'll have to eat all weekend...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The wife and I usually camp at least a half dozen times a year. Mostly with one of the groups we belong to. Usually within 500-600 miles of home and only for the weekend. Yes, we drive 5-600 miles, camp and still make it back home for work Monday morning. Did I mention we like to ride...?

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
The wife and I usually camp at least a half dozen times a year. Mostly with one of the groups we belong to. Usually within 500-600 miles of home and only for the weekend. Yes, we drive 5-600 miles, camp and still make it back home for work Monday morning. Did I mention we like to ride...?
That's what we used to do as well. Monday at work was a day of rest.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I go motorcycle camping, I take a trailer - not one that follows my Gold Wing - but one that follows my Jeep SUV. You see I hate riding my bike on interstates. So boring that it puts me to sleep - a hazardous condition on 2 or 4 wheels. I tow my GL1200 on a single bike trailer down the interstate to a picturesque location (min. 500 miles from my home in West Chicago IL), popup my tent when I get there and the next day ride the local interesting roads from there.

My question to the forum is are there others who like to tow and ride like me?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts