Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often does one typically put their battery on a battery maintainer? I usually only drive like ~1-2 miles a day and after about two weeks of having a new fully charged battery, I have a dead battery. Is this normal? My mother had a scooter, and under the same circumstances, she never had to charge her battery.

Thanks.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
A maintainer would probably help. The motorcycle is likely not being run enough to charge the battery up again after starting.

You could also check to make sure the motorcycle's charging system is working correctly.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I don't think your charging system is working properly. Suggest you have your battery tested & check the charging system. Autozone/O'Reilly's will do it for free if you can provide them access to the battery and can unhook one of the cables for them.

·
Registered
282 Posts
buy a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. (It monitors your battery and charges it as needed, and then goes back into a standby mode).

They don't cost that much, and are great tools for maintaining the life of your battery.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437560338&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Daltran+Battery+Tender+Jr.

-Soupy
Got one and I recommend it but I only use it If I'm not riding for long periods which doesn't happen since I ride just about every day but I also agree with the others, sounds to me like your charging system is working correctly.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
If a person doesn't ride far enough at highway speeds you will be draining the battery not charging it. It takes over 8 miles to recharge what you used to start an engine. And that's if it fires the first time. May not be a charging system problem but a usage problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone! I'm also curious if the alternator is a difficult thing to replace on one's own? I've heard it can cost $700 with labor but I don't know if it just takes a lot of time and/or its a tricky thing to do.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Thanks, everyone! I'm also curious if the alternator is a difficult thing to replace on one's own? I've heard it can cost $700 with labor but I don't know if it just takes a lot of time and/or its a tricky thing to do.
That's going to depend on the motorcycle. There are more common and less expensive parts and items to check first. It's pretty easy to test the charging system on most motorcycles and identify the culprit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought leads that are fixed to the poles of my battery. They extend to a point under my seat. They have male and female connectors. These connect to battery trickle feeder. This feeder is powered by 240 v power. Keeps the battery of my bike all good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
I plug mine into a smart trickle charger after every ride -- it has a quick connect plug connected to the battery, so plugging it in, is easy and fast, as is disconnecting for a ride. Why plug in after every ride? Because it tops the battery off, maintains it at a full charge, for every start-up, in the garage, and it extends the life of the battery. When we tour, we do not plug the battery in every night. But since we're touring, it gets ridden every day. When I hit the starter, in my garage, it fires better because the battery is fully charged -- it does make a difference for the first start-up.

I use more expensive AGM batteries. I want them to last as long as possible, to get the most for my money. I also want my bike battery to be in the best possible condition, at all times, so that it will work as well, and as long as possible, no matter where we are parked. It's just good maintenance practice. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
A maintainer, in your situation,is probably the answer. Forget name brands, they are all about the same. You want a battery maintainer and you can find one at almost any bike shop for under $50. The one I own has a Honda sticker on it and I use it for my Cub Cadet lawn mower more than anything else. In my case my bike gets enough high speed use to keep the battery perfect year around without it.
You do not want a trickle charger. A trickle charger just sends a small charging current to a battery. A proper maintainer will charge only when a charge is needed. It may sit connected and do nothing but monitor your battery for 20 of 24 hours.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If a person doesn't ride far enough at highway speeds you will be draining the battery not charging it. It takes over 8 miles to recharge what you used to start an engine. And that's if it fires the first time. May not be a charging system problem but a usage problem.
This is what I always heard too. And from experience it seems to be right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts