Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find a clean vintage bike on one the more popular 24/7 auction sites. Every time I find one which interests me, others are as well, and the bidding goes way over the top. I don't mind paying a bit more than a bike is worth if I really want it, but WOW...people are paying #1 money for #2 and #3 bikes. Guess I need a fatter wallet with nothing better to spend it on. Okay, rant over. Poor me. Whaaaa. Any suggestions on finding a good source for buying vintage bikes for what they are worth?

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
I've been trying to find a clean vintage bike on one the more popular 24/7 auction sites. Every time I find one which interests me, others are as well, and the bidding goes way over the top. I don't mind paying a bit more than a bike is worth if I really want it, but WOW...people are paying #1 money for #2 and #3 bikes. Guess I need a fatter wallet with nothing better to spend it on. Okay, rant over. Poor me. Whaaaa. Any suggestions on finding a good source for buying vintage bikes for what they are worth?
What bike are you looking for?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
That's why people love auctions. Sometimes things move so fast people start bidding with emotions instead of logic. Sellers can make out.

The other problem is that collectors have made the price of vintage bikes skyrocket. Used to be able to buy a nice CB750 for a grand. Now even beat up 1st gens sell for several thousands.

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
Are you looking for another old Goldwing?
If so, how much do you want to spend, and where are you
located?
I have a '76 Goldwing that could be for sale in New Jersey.

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you looking for another old Goldwing?
If so, how much do you want to spend, and where are you
located?
I have a '76 Goldwing that could be for sale in New Jersey.
Thanks much, but I'm not looking for a Goldwing. Had fun with mine for a few years, then sold it. Guess I've been eyeballing what everyone else wants...vintage Norton, BSA, Husqvarna, Honda 750, Ducati, Laverda, BMW. Original and minty ones are rare!

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's why people love auctions. Sometimes things move so fast people start bidding with emotions instead of logic. Sellers can make out.

The other problem is that collectors have made the price of vintage bikes skyrocket. Used to be able to buy a nice CB750 for a grand. Now even beat up 1st gens sell for several thousands.
I'm following a 1972 exceptionally nice original. It's no better than a #2 . Has a few days left and my guess it will hit the $12K mark, which is #1 by Haggerty.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I have a '76 CB750. My dad bought it in '77, gave it to me a few years ago. It's original except exhaust, and shows it's age as a ridden bike most of it's life. But overall a very nice bike. Today it is worth many times what my dad bought it for back then. I'll never part with it, it'll go to my son one day.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
Most anything in at least #2 condition, 60's and 70's... which I can still obtain NOS or reproduction parts for.
It might be worth your time to drop an email note to my friend Graham at Jack Pine Cycle. You won't find nicer, more original bikes.

http://www.jackpinecycle.com

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a '76 CB750. My dad bought it in '77, gave it to me a few years ago. It's original except exhaust, and shows it's age as a ridden bike most of it's life. But overall a very nice bike. Today it is worth many times what my dad bought it for back then. I'll never part with it, it'll go to my son one day.
Good on ya'! My dad was a cycle nut, and had a great Ducati and Matchless 500 he bought new in the early 60's. He thumps himself for not keeping them the way I thump myself for not keeping my '67 Chevelle SS. :crying:

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
robinsclassicmotorcycles.com is a site I check often. It is for private sellers to show their bikes. You deal directly with the seller if you are interested. Mainly bikes in the bottom left of Canada. There is an active group of riders on the big island, and lots of vintage bikes. The old BSA, Nortons and Triumphs list for 10 to 15 thousand, which is about 9 to 14 thousand too much, IMO. I would and did pay less than $3000, for a fine running much better and much newer bike. Paid $1500 for my XS11 Yamaha. Nostalgia had me looking at a 16H Norton like my father rode. Any of the old British bikes that claim to be punched out, or make more horsepower, I would avoid. They shake more, and blow up sooner.
The best of the early seventies Triumphs was the 750 Tiger with a single carb, a front disc and five speed. Came in a soft blue colour. The Bonneville had nicer colours, but was not as reliable. All IMO only. The Nortons with their Isolastic suspension and engine mounts did not handle worth a hoot. Some had major issues with quality control. Somewhere I have a pic of the 750 Norton that Williams rode in the production class at the IOM. Naturally it did not finish. There were a lot of non production changes made to that bike. Was easy for me to tell, as I parked my matching Norton next to it. Both were yellow.
Those old BSA Victors had a front suspension designed to break you thumbs from your hands. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing. Riding some of the old things is reality at work.
My 350 Kawasaki was a better bike to ride, and quicker than the 650 Bonneville.
Some guy went over 200 mph at Bonneville on a Bonneville. I have to research that some day.

UK

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I normally stalk Facebook and Craigslist for deals. If I'm on my phone or computer I'll usually have a search open.

Got my 1982 Suzuki GS 850G for $500 (runs perfect, but paint is bad), my 1980 Honda GL1100 for $950 (restored by PO), and my 1972 Yamaha DT175 (excellent original condition) for $600.

Reactions: 122178

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I normally stalk Facebook and Craigslist for deals. If I'm on my phone or computer I'll usually have a search open.

Got my 1982 Suzuki GS 850G for $500 (runs perfect, but paint is bad), my 1980 Honda GL1100 for $950 (restored by PO), and my 1972 Yamaha DT175 (excellent original condition) for $600.
Highway robbery! Great deals for sure. Glad you found them. I tried last night to buy a pristine, original, '72 Honda CB750K model with 16K miles. I was the top bidder at $7,200...but it didn't meet the reserve. :sad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts