Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious, how many of you own only a motorcycle, and no car? Is this common? I've never really thought about it until now and figured I'd ask

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
There was a time not long ago when l only had a bike, although my girlfriend has a car. I bought a truck mainly because l missed having one for those occasions when l want to go buy some 2x4's or a few sheets of plywood. Now l am without a bike, and stuck in the cage, and can't wait for another bike ;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've only got a bike. I don't need a car because everything important is within walking distance.

G

·
No to me bikes are toys and toys only. If it came down to it, I would keep my truck and sell the bikes. However, I work with my truck and also live in Minnesota where only owning a bike would be a problem.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Grocery shopping is a pain in the ass, and is the reason I bought a pedal bike. It also sucks for job hunting. Other than that, it's great.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Not having a car limits where I can work. I can use the motorcycle to get to interviews, but I have to keep winter travel in mind. I missed out on one opportunity because it was too far to walk and the bus didn't get there early enough for the shift.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
There's been times in my life when the only transport I had was a motorcycle. That makes for great memories and a few bragging rights, but the reality of it sucked. I did, however, learn a few things that have stayed with me.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I really wanted to finish the garage, but needed lumber and didn't want to borrow a truck.

There were countless things l wanted to score on Craigslist but didn't have a truck.

I could go on and on...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
True, true. But my girlfriend has a car ;) so I'd have somewhat reliability with that too

·
Registered
943 Posts
I grew up in southern Ontario in the 1960s and my only transportation from 15 to 17 was two-wheeled - a Honda 50 first and then a Honda Superhawk with a sidecar. There were only about 6 to 8 days a year when the roads were too icy to ride.

I had many friends and relatives nearby who had cars and trucks if I needed something transported but when I moved to the city, I didn't have a vehicle at all. Everything I needed was within walking distance or I could have it delivered.

I never looked at motorcycles as "toys" but as an alternate means of transportation.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I grew up in southern Ontario in the 1960s and my only transportation from 15 to 17 was two-wheeled - a Honda 50 first and then a Honda Superhawk with a sidecar. There were only about 6 to 8 days a year when the roads were too icy to ride.

I had many friends and relatives nearby who had cars and trucks if I needed something transported but when I moved to the city, I didn't have a vehicle at all. Everything I needed was within walking distance or I could have it delivered.

I never looked at motorcycles as "toys" but as an alternate means of transportation.
Yeah me either. I can see why people would consider them toys though, like if they have a family and kids, or need to haul things, or if it's extremely snowy where they live. But none of that applies to me so it could be an option

·
Registered
518 Posts
We get too much snow and ice here, and I've to drive too far in it for that.

·
Challenged Mechanic
2,771 Posts
When I bought my Triumph Bonneville, I found is used my truck (Montero 4x4) way too little to make it worth keeping in shape and insured. I sold it and now have been without a truck for I guess three years now, although my wife does have a Honda Element I can use if need be to haul a trailer or pick up big stuff. I take the kids to doctor appointments and school on one or the other of the bikes (the other is a 68 CB350). It once in a while is inconvenient but not often. But I also live in Florida where I don't have to worry about snow and ice. Rain I don't mind, as I have decent gear for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts