Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a really difficult time finding a jacket that fits. I don't want to ride without one but I've tried about 20 jackets and none of them fit properly.
Does anybody else have this problem?
The chest is too tight, the shoulders aren't wide enough, the waist is too big, the shoulder pads slide around-I don't know what type of model these companies are using but if I want a jacket, I'm going to have to have one custom made! It's like they're being made using men's proportions.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I was thinking of how to reply to you, but then your last sentence derailed that train. Only thing I can think of now is I'd bet there is a female motorcyclist forum on the net somewhere, and this question has had to come up at least once. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
698 Posts
I looked at several cycle shops. Most carried stuff for very small people. Most if not all jackets looked like they were for children. I found one that fit at a Honda shop. I ordered the same brand and size but a different color scheme on Amazon. I did get my helmet at the Honda shop. it was the only one I could find that fit and I didn't want to go thru ordering/ trying/sending back for multiple helmets.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what's the deal with women's moto gear either. It almost seems like they use tiny teenagers for their models! lol Broad shoulders or big breasts? No jacket for you!

Admittedly, for now I just wear a women's leather jacket. It won't do as hot in a crash as actual riding gear would, so a plan I have for the future is to see if I can infuse some sort of armor or extra layers inside the jacket.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Mesh lining is sized for a tight fit on a medium-sized adult
And there's the problem. What a medium-sized adult is in France will be different in Russia or Brazil or USA or even Japan. That's almost similar to the now common, one size fits all. Which really means, does not FIT anyone.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
My wife likes her Highway 21 we bought it from Cyclegear she is micro except her breast. the waist has decent Velcro to snug it up for her or loosen depending on her needs. Cyclegear is everywhere, but good fitting women's gear geez that is rare. It is a mesh and then her leather one is a Bilt similar but with the liner the girls get squeezed a bit but she seems to be ok with it to be tolerable.

~BK

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
My wife says Joe Rocket seems to work well with women with the larger breasts and has straps to narrow the waist. But how armor fits is questionable. Armor seems to be questionable for most though from I've read.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
My wife says Joe Rocket seems to work well with women with the larger breasts and has straps to narrow the waist. But how armor fits is questionable. Armor seems to be questionable for most though from I've read.
The armor in one of my jackets was digging in to me. The elbows mostly. I took it out. The jacket fits fine. Alpine Stars I think.
Some Harley stores have a lot of gear for ladies, and I will assume of all shapes and sizes. But I think Shirley got hers from a leather shop. Probably depend on the size of your town, whether they have stores with good inventory.

UK

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
My wife can't ride (back problem) and hasn't rode in quite a few years now, so a jacket for her with armor is just something that never comes up.

So I was wondering, is there armor in the front of a woman's motorcycle jacket to protect her,...front?

Or is this just a dumb, ignorant question? And if it is, sorry, just ignore it. :)

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
My wife can't ride (back problem) and hasn't rode in quite a few years now, so a jacket for her with armor is just something that never comes up.

So I was wondering, is there armor in the front of a woman's motorcycle jacket to protect her,...front?

Or is this just a dumb, ignorant question? And if it is, sorry, just ignore it. :)
The answer is no. They have armor protecting those areas that are statistically the most injured. Back, knees and elbows. Some also protect shoulders and butt. But statistically not many slide face down so those areas aren't normally protected. I'm not a female but I don't think I'd want some bulky plate in that area anyway. If it's not very comfortable in those other areas it surely won't be comfortable in that area. Just my opinion. The ladies will have to confirm or not if they want.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
The answer is no. They have armor protecting those areas that are statistically the most injured. Back, knees and elbows. Some also protect shoulders and butt. But statistically not many slide face down so those areas aren't normally protected. I'm not a female but I don't think I'd want some bulky plate in that area anyway. If it's not very comfortable in those other areas it surely won't be comfortable in that area. Just my opinion. The ladies will have to confirm or not if they want.
Actually they do make a beast plate for women, you slip it in the front as you zip it up. I did a search to add a link but found some odd search results would have to ask here were she got it...maybe it was made, who knows but her at this point.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Actually they do make a beast plate for women, you slip it in the front as you zip it up. I did a search to add a link but found some odd search results would have to ask here were she got it...maybe it was made, who knows but her at this point.
I stand corrected then. So I've never seen one.:grin:

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
I am going to give my friend a call and ask her about it so we all can know ?

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Mrs refused to wear unisex clothing. She never wanted to be mistaken for a guy. And she noticed the only difference between many men's and woman's riding jackets was the color and maybe elastic at the waist. She would buy her jackets large enough to fit the girls up top, then have the waist altered to fit her hour glass shape.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
Most of the time when I've watched a race, or youtube, a rider that hits the ground usually slides, but some times they tumble. That's got to hurt everywhere.
Above about 40mph, a slide works. Below 40 the down force makes parts hot, so tumble. Best is to fall off in the rain. Makes sliding easier. The tumbling is more problematic than sliding. Hitting a solid object is worsa still.

UK

1 - 20 of 26 Posts