Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I hope this isn't too off-topic for this forum. I'm translating a novel set in Argentina into English, and lots of the characters are guys who ride motorbikes and mopeds.

At one point they talk about taking the muffler off the exhaust to make mopeds louder, and I was just wondering if there's a particular word for doing that in English. An American slang term would be ideal, but any ideas would be great.

Any alternative, slangy ways of saying 'rev the engine' would also be very handy.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
615 Posts
I’m sure there lots.
“Going straight pipe”is when you run a bike with no baffles or muffler.

“Crack the throttle”. Rev the engine.

·
Registered
973 Posts

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much everyone, these are super helpful - the translation's already sounding much better. If I get to include any translators' acknowledgements, I'll thank this forum!

And oldenslow, funny you should say that - the book is basically about a lifelong feud between two families who live next door to each other, and their kids' approach to motorbikes definitely doesn't help! :LOL:

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
  • Only thing I can think of that might fit is, “change out the slip-ons”.

Reactions: -Nate

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,119 Posts
Removing the muffler: Instant penis enlargement ( in the riders mind) with no horsepower gain.

More throttle: 'Goose it.' 'Wring it out.' 'Put the pedal to the metal,' kinda/ sorta.

Welcome to the forum!

Sam

·
Registered
74 Posts
"Muffler delete" is one around here and "blip the throttle" is rev the engine

Reactions: -Nate and SemiFast

·
Ace Tuner
3,479 Posts
Running straight pipes. That's all I got on that one.

Rev it till it pukes.
Rev the snot out of it.
Hit the rev limiter. Or hitting the rev limiter.
Gas it, Gassing it, Hit the gas.
WFO = Wide Full Open. < Polite way of using the "F"..... Wide blanking Open traditionally.

S F

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
58 Posts
When I lived in a Spanish speaking country, "escape abierto" meant sand muffler and was frowned upon by all except those who loved the incredible noise they made .

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's strange what phrases change from country to country - or even within a country (regional dialect) isn't it?

·
Ace Tuner
3,479 Posts
It's strange what phrases change from country to country - or even within a country (regional dialect) isn't it?
Yes it is.

"I'll tell you what" That is Texas for... "yes I agree"

"I'll give him the what for" Texas for... "I'll beat him up" -or- "I'll tell him off real good"
Lol

S F

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,119 Posts
1% Folks are telling you that's their IQ and their SAT scores added together.

Well bless their hearts and aren't they special.

Sam :censored:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts