Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I made a website for Finnish motorcyclists about one year ago. Because a lot of people liked it so much, I decided to translate it to English too.

The idea is to share interesting riding destinations for short “after work rides” as well as longer trips. Not just routes but all kind of places like nice coffee shops, wonders of nature, historical things etc.

To make it more interesting and active, there are some ideas borrowed from Geocaching. For example visitors write ‘Found It!’ logs to mark the places that they have visited. It has been nice to see that a lot of people write about their visit in a place that they have passed dozens of times and not knowing about it before someone added it to the site.

The website is www.motocaching.net

I know that from your point of view the site is kind of empty at the moment (just a couple of examples in the USA) but it doesn’t take many users to get it started in some area. Just add some of your favorite places and tell your friends about the “new thing”.

At least here in Finland we are having a lot of fun with motocaching. Only a small part of the motorcyclists in Finland know about the site yet but we have already listed 500 places and written about 3000 “Found it!” logs. That’s quite a lot of riding in just a few months.

How about being a pioneer and starting now by adding a couple of places? And of course it would be nice to hear your comments in this thread.

-pleksi-

ps. Thanks to Dodsfall for approving this topic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Perhaps I should have mentioned that it's absolutely free.

I made some "caches" (=routes, places) in North Carolina as examples:

Linn Cove Viaduct is an engineering marvel on the Blue Ridge Parkway (also a popular motorcycle road).

NC 226A from Little Switzerland is an example of a twisty road with a short description.

Cane River Twist is another example of a route.

Chimney Rock State Park has an elevator to get to the top of the mountain. Good option for those who are wearing riding gear.

American Classic Motorcycle Museum is a very interesting private collection on top of a restaurant.

Pisgah Covered Bridge is one of the two that are left in NC.

Then there is the Tail of the Dragon that is one of the most famous motorcycle roads in the world.

If you would like to get this going in your area, I promise that I'll do my best to help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done it too, but of course this is a bit different because all "caches" are made with motorcycling in mind and there are actually no hidden things to look for.

By the way, one of the most active "motocachers" saw my post here and pointed out that I shouldn't have written such an "advertisement". I should have simply said that it's a website where we can easily collect all kind of places to ride to and every motorcyclist could use an easy way to find new places and routes for rides.

Of course there are many sites for collecting routes already but I believe that it was mainly the "caching" aspect that made this grow so fast in Finland.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like the idea, I'd like to see it take off. The "big famous places" are easy to find - its the small, out of the way places that are the most interesting though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I like the idea, I'd like to see it take off. The "big famous places" are easy to find - its the small, out of the way places that are the most interesting though.
I couldn't agree more! A motocache doesn't have to be anything big or spectacular. At least for me it's important to just have some destination for a ride - preferably a new place that I have never heard of - even if it's not anything very significant.

Would you perhaps want to be a pioneer in your area and add some places that you know?

I'll do my best to help. Of course I can only add places that I can find on the web but I have a couple of ideas where I could find some interesting places that are no tourist traps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could some of you who are using Gmail please help me a little?

Motocaching registration confirmation email messages ended up in spam folders of US Google users who tried to register.

I have now made some improvements that should help messages to get through to inbox.

Could you please register on http://www.motocaching.net and let me know if the message that was sent back to you came to your inbox or spam folder?

G

·
It is a nice site and easy to navigate threw. I also like the way you changed the colors of the forum to blend with the site. Good luck with the site! :thumbsup:

G

·
It is a nice site you have done well. :) You have the right idea for sure. You think all this out and put it forth for your visitors and members. PM me for a link exchange if your interested. :)

·
American Legion Rider
23,697 Posts
Well y'all can come to Texas now and follow the road cache I put out there. Just for your info, it took me as long to put that route in as it did for me to actually ride it. I think I gave too much detail. But I have ask the author some questions which might clarify areas where I was unsure. I can see some point in the future where a person can connect several different caches to make and all day exploration day trip. Just needs more people adding their knowledge of the areas they've traveled. Had this been around while I was in California, I could have added many great rides I discovered. I went in circles on some before I figured the correct route to make it a nice ride. One wrong turn can be hazardous sometimes.:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hogcowboy, I sent you a reply. Hope it helps.

You nailed it with "connecting several caches to an all day exploration trip". That's what many of us do.

I have seen a lot of really interesting places that I had no idea about (So far I have logged 214 finds).

To avoid misunderstandings: The "caches" are the routes and locations themselves (was that English?). We don't actually hide anything. Instead of boxes or hidden stuff we find new places and experiences.

·
American Legion Rider
23,697 Posts
I figured you might recognize a userid like that. Hope you don't mind my "review" of one of your caches to understand the use or lack there in of "Waypoints". I'm rather surprised that more have not contributed. Maybe this wil act like a kick in the pants.:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hope you don't mind my "review" of one of your caches to understand the use or lack there in of "Waypoints". [/IMG]
Not at all! That's what the reviewing is for.

I think that you are absolutely right that it's good to add waypoints (and explanation in the text too) at major intersections. On the other hand it can take some time to do it well like you said.

I thought that the route that we are talking about would not have any crossings where one could go wrong, but I have to re-check it (this one: Stage Road). I already found at least one intersection in one of my other routes where one could easily take a wrong turn. I'll add a note about that in the description.

It's somewhat difficult for me to add good examples in the US because I can't ride the routes myself. Street View is not a very good substitute for a motorcycle.

In general it's about the quality level that we choose. On bestbikingroads there are a lot of routes that are just drawn on the map with minimal written information but, to be honest, I have no idea if people are happy with that kind of routes.

·
American Legion Rider
23,697 Posts
Yes sir, that was the route. And now that you added just one waypoint, the actual road you were suggesting is shown. Waypoints to indeed seem to be the key for a good route. Like I said, maybe this will be the kick in the pants needed to get some actually traveled routes published by those that have traveled them. Time will tell. Good luck with your program though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually I didn't add a waypoint but now that you said this, I realized that it's not very clear on the site that there are two kinds of route maps: 1) The one on cache description page that just quickly shows an overview of the route (doesn't show waypoints). 2) The detailed Google maps route that can be viewed by clicking a link. This one draws the route on the actual road and shows all waypoints and addresses.

The map that shows all caches is also an overview map for quicker drawing.

I made some changes to make it clearer (will be included in the next version).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally I think that I was able to find (and fix) the address related bug that made it difficult for hogcowboy to make his route.

It's nice to see that so many riders are willing to share their favorite rides and points of interest with others. There are now more than 720 rides with about 5200 reviews and comments (9 new routes and places today in Europe).

Here's a list of countries and US states with their current motocache count : -click-

·
American Legion Rider
23,697 Posts
I'll just have to make another route and see. I'm exploring a new area now that I'll try showing how the two can be linked for even more fun on one trip.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts