Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Qatar GP Tomorrow. Qualifying is over and there are three different makes of bikes on the front row. Turn two is collecting numerous riders so far this weekend. 40 yr old Rossi is starting mid pack not sure what his issue is but he races well so will probably make up a lot of spots. Moto 2, the new triumph bikes sound cool and can't wait until they all take the green tomorrow.
I subscribed to Moto GP Video pass ($160) so I get everything this year, practice, qualifying, races, everything.

motogp.com · VisitQatar GRAND PRIX · MotoGP Qualifying Nr. 2 Classification 2019

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,531 Posts
Moto3, 2, and GP

Let me see if I have this straight:
3 = 250 single cylinder different manufactures, brands ect.
2 = Triump 3 cyl engine in different frames, suspension, etc.
gp = 1000 cc 200+ HP monsters.

Waiting for GP to start, watch 3 and 2. 3 was very entertaining, go into a turn in 1st come out in 6th, rinse and repeat
2 Seemed to be less slipstream assist. More rider difference than bike difference.

input?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow awesome racing, as predicted the "Doctor" finished fifth in the lead group of 5, 6/10ths from the leader. I will not say who won in case you watching it later.

Highlights.

-Turn 6 has a "penalty lane" running outside of the tracks turn six. In Moto 3 the officials sent a warning to one of the lead riders dash concerning exceeding track limits. The rider though it was a penalty and did the lane dropping like 10 positions. Turns out he was only warned and don't have to do the penalty.

-Lead Ducati has a spoiler on the back bottom of the fairing in front of the rear tire apparently to keep heat away from the tire as basically the race was save your tires until the last five laps. Ducati's also have fan shaped panels attached to bottom of the forks I guess for airflow?

-Jack Miller on like lap 3-4 running in 5th I think, stands up and throws his seat pad off the bike, apparently it came lose, he retired from race laps later.

-Some of the riders the last few laps were smoking the rear tires out of the corners.

-Moto 2 and 3 also good races and the triumph engines sound good.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Moto 3. 250 single makes about 48 hp, the same as the 250 two strokes we were riding in the early seventies. The two strokes are now over 80 hp.
I think they should let the moto 3 bikes use 2 cylinders. It would make more hp, and create some interesting engines.

Moto 2 bikes are probably fast enough for serious racing. Good place for KTM and others to develop frames.

Moto GP are all close. Good day to own a Suzuki sport bike. Ducati fans will be happy, but cost twice as much.

UK

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
I think Jack tried to progress too soon. He was good, but not good enuf to win Moto 3 back then. Now days he jumps off a lot.
I like the steady progress of Franco Morbidelli sp?
Good day for Suzuki sport bike owners, like me.
The Ducati has the advantage of passing anyone on the straights. It is hard to gain that back. But good for Dovi.
Vinalles sp? will be upset, as he went backwards from the start, and 6 passed him later. He finished next to Franco I think.

Lorenzo is a brilliant rider, but if he does not pick up 19? places very soon, he will be riding Honda scooters.

It is hard to kept the pace up for 70 miles, real easy to let the mind wander. Oh look at the birdies, or the folks in the stand, and many other distractions. A slowing pace can cause this.

Do not know what to say about night time racing.

UK

·
15,531 Posts
I was total mesmerized by the moto3 and GP. The moto2 not so much

·
15,531 Posts
Krusty or anyone else,

Each class has the same engine correct? From one manufacturer. 250cc Honda, 696 cc Triumph, and 1000cc honda

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No only spec engine is in Moto 2 the 765 Triumph engine. Moto 3 has Honda and KTM engines and not sure of others. Moto GP is max 1000cc no more than 4 cylinders and there's a limited to no. of engines used per rider per team I think it's 7 engines a season.

Inside MotoGP? · Bikes | MotoGP?

·
15,531 Posts
Thanks
and I also heard they are squeezing 300 hp out of a litter engine.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
In Moto 3, the 250 bikes have had more brands in the past, such as Honda, Mahindra, KTM and others. Forgotten who tho. Most brands probably source out their frames, or at least contract and or hire the smart guys. Suzuki have always made bikes that handled a bit better than the others.
Ducati runs a V4. Yamaha has a different than usual crank pin placement, to help with steady traction. The biggest problem with the 250 plus hp bikes, is controlling traction and wheel spin out of the corners.
They do not disclose true hp.
They all have to use the same idiot box to control the electronics. B 4 it was an expensive technology race.
The brake discs are carbon fiber. They may use steel discs in the rain.

Yes. To add to what Wollerms said. New entries get concessions, with regards to number of engines, number of changes to engines and aerodynamics.
UK

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
I was total mesmerized by the moto3 and GP. The moto2 not so much
The moto 3 is just like the way it used to be, with 20 plus 250 cc Yamaha 2 strokes on the grid.

Some of the keys on this computer do not register when punched.
Above it should be 46 passed Vinalles. 46 is Rossi. Vinalles who is gifted and can be fast, would like more special attention. But if the 40 year old Rossi keeps beating the 22 ? year old Vinalles, who will they listen too.
They are team mates if you did not get that.
Lorenzo was at Ducati last year, and did awful most of the time, and brilliant a couple of times. He is now with Honda, team mate to Marqez, and might as well finished last.
Rossi also has teams in the other classes, and likely tutors the younger riders.

UK

·
15,531 Posts
Maybe one of the mods could combine these two threads, this one and my moto3, 2 one

·
15,531 Posts
Can one of the mods move this thread into the moto gp 2019 thread please.

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
Can one of the mods move this thread into the moto gp 2019 thread please.
Well something happened. Is this what you wanted or did it get done backwards to what you wanted Critter?

·
15,531 Posts
You got it Larry, good job.

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
You got it Larry, good job.
It's not exactly intuitive. Guess they figure you are supposed to know what you are doing to be doing something like that. Much easier to ban people.:surprise::grin::angel:

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
When it comes to the commentary. Notice that the ex racers do not get as excited, as a past weekend warrior. BT Sports is British, so they plug the British riders. They say wonderful things about John McPhee, but he does not do so well. They also provide the race times for the British. I would like it it they told me what the time was locally. My phone can figure out the time zone. The older commentator can analyze what is wrong with a bike from the announcers box, he can also determine your gearing, and knows whether a front or rear tyre lost traction. All from a nano second clip. Later one of the other guys asks a mechanic type, and gets the real story.
Youtube has the races, if you want to watch again.

UK

1 - 20 of 28 Posts