Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Honda CX500, 1983 Honda GL650I
88 Posts
They also help keep the riders hands warm in cold weather.
For many years, I had a pair of cheap Tusk hand guards (single-mount) on my CX500 to block the wind in cold weather. The most pronounced effect seemed to be the eddies of cold air they created right at my finger tips!
I took them off last spring when trying different bars. Now that it's getting colder, I have to say they did help a little. I'll probably refit them when I restore the stock handlebar.

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
1,267 Posts
The taillight only thing is an important safety device, not used in North America .

The same for the forward park light bulb ~ I like to add them to my bikes because 50 years ago the headlight failed on my 1962 Honda Benly and I had to drive a long distance home, if I'd had that damned parklight maybe no cars would have turned in front of me :oops: .

Along with the tail / brake light bulbs out back I run LED parklight, it won't light my way but it certainly illuminates the entire headlight for safety's sake .

If you drive in any actual traffic you NEED A HORN ~ I like horns so the factory ones always work, I usually add a secondary one to make sure it's useful .

Deleting the headlight / starter relay seems counter productive to me .

" Sport and touring bikers break wind, not trails. " ~ yeah, me too......

As far as useless things on the bike, all my bikes have a loose nut holding the handlebars .

·
Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, CBR250R(MC19), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
632 Posts
Yup. I replaced the horn on my bike with a Denali Sound Bomb. The cagers drifting into my lane move back REAL quick.
Reminds me I've been wanting to mount Nathan train horns on my bike for while now, Kinda put it off because I don't commute any more and sold my commuter. But just having it would be cool, maybe in portable package like top-box so I can switch it between bikes easily. Kinda like micro-nuke.

·
On The Road Again!
4,897 Posts
My older Goldwing had two horns from the factory, but they were still "meep meep" horns. I replaced them with a couple of Fiamms. Much better, but still not loud enough. So then I added an air horn. Now when I hit the button, I get all three of them!!

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,421 Posts
My bike has a little "up" arrow to tell you when the optimal time is to shift. That got disabled immediately. I run a lot of high revs and engine braking in the twisties so that silly light is the last thing I need.

·
Registered
Honda Tiderls, Ural Solos & BMW R60/6
1,267 Posts
I'm amazed Lori'd disable anything dynamic on a Motor vehicle ~ I love all of it, I remember in the 1980's when upshift lamps seemed mandatory, I'd fix them on every used car I did, easy to ignore and doesn't use anything so why not leave it .

Same with key, door and headlight chimes .

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX, 1995 Ducati, Harley panhead in a box
90 Posts
The (almost) completely hidden fusebox.

Oh, I forgot. A so-called totally useless feature that I would call a parking light. You push in the key, turn ALL the way to the left, and the tail light turns on, It's very easy to turn the key not far enough, remove it, and have a dead battery in the morning. Don't even bother to ask me how I know. Oh, and you can't see if the taillight is on, unless you look from the back.
Yes i know that light as the “battery is dead light”. If its out so is the battery. I had an older Suzuki years ago that worked like yours, always had to check the light before walking away. I disabled it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The (almost) completely hidden fusebox.

Oh, I forgot. A so-called totally useless feature that I would call a parking light. You push in the key, turn ALL the way to the left, and the tail light turns on, It's very easy to turn the key not far enough, remove it, and have a dead battery in the morning. Don't even bother to ask me how I know. Oh, and you can't see if the taillight is on, unless you look from the back.
I did that a few years ago on a 1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim I was restoring. The dead battery was how I found out that bike had that 'feature'. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,421 Posts
I'm amazed Lori'd disable anything dynamic on a Motor vehicle ~ I love all of it, I remember in the 1980's when upshift lamps seemed mandatory, I'd fix them on every used car I did, easy to ignore and doesn't use anything so why not leave it .

Same with key, door and headlight chimes .
Yeah, we had one on our 1987 Dodge Daytona manual. My Bug has a gear indicator as well as up and down arrows. I don't run Bug as hard as the bike so I like it. The bike was just a setting to disable it, not like I had to rip out any wires or anything.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts