Motorcycle Forum banner

Most Dangerous States For Motorcyclist

3K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  450zuki 
#1 · (Edited)
There might be states you may want to avoid just from a safety point of view. Texas being one of them. Hey, at least Texas is at the upper part of the list for something.:surprise::wink2::crying:

The most dangerous states for motorcyclist.

See less See more
#2 ·
It would be nice if those stats were broken down into 'causes'. Since Texas is right up there as being one of the most dangerous, I'm wondering if some of the causes of MC accidents are due to open range cattle, dead Armadillos on the roadway, or something that may have fallen off a farm truck. Yes, I know that drivers in the larger cities like Houston and Dallas are just shy of full blown crazy, but so is LA, NYC, Miami, and any other large city.

Even here in Utah we have to watch for wild horses, Cattle, Sheep, Deer, and the odd Hay Bale every now and then. But we don't have that many riders either, since our riding season is so short.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown other than the usual 'Speed. Inexperience, no helmet and things like that.

#27 ·
Not in this day and age. The "authorities" are scared to death of the "social justice" warriors and have abandoned detailed stats. Look at the FBI, their public crime statistics are lacking tons of information they collect...because the data "reinforces stereotypes" about certain groups of people...nope, can't tell the truth if it's not what people want to hear.

#6 ·
Somehow I suspect that has a lot to do with it. But then there is California and Florida that ride year-round. Then there are those illegals. Some driving 18 wheelers out of Mexico. I've seen then run people off the road. Well, 18 wheelers. Can't say for fact they were illegals. It just wouldn't surprise me is all.

#7 ·
I'm sure the longer riding season is a big factor. But I will also say that here in SC a long line of bikes in the parking lot of a bar, with bar patrons stumbling out and mounting up helmetless, is a common sight on Friday and Saturday nights. Monday through Thursday, too, the only difference being a shorter line of bikes...

It is estimated that after 10 PM on Fridays and Saturdays, one out of two drivers you meet on the highway in SC is intoxicated, with one out of three being over the legal limit. Ironically, this is largely the result of our Legislature several years ago passing some of the toughest drunk-driving penalties in the nation. This was done with great fanfare -- with little notice being given that at the same time they passed legislation making prosecution of drunk driving almost impossible. You might get arrested, but unless you killed somebody the chances are you'll never get to court.

#12 ·
The Three Sisters area is nice but can get a little too crowded for me. There is so much country to ride thru in Texas though that there is little reason to see the same area again. Unfortunately some of it is extremely boring too. But you have to take the bad to get to the good sometimes. I avoid all major cities. Austin being another. That's where the California transplants like to go. That way they can ruin another state.

#14 · (Edited)
Might be a tossup with Utah, Amigo. The little town I live in has been invaded with Californians. Almost every vacant lot has been bought up and is now sporting a new house. Even some of the old homes from the 1800's have been knocked down and replaced with a new modern style. I will admit it's not all the left coast lefties, but the majority is. And they have wiggled their way into the City Council. The population has DOUBLED in the last three years alone! Now we have sidewalks, streetlights, gas, crime, drugs, and any other thing attributed to an increase in population.

What used to be a small town with a population of 900 years ago, slowly moved up to 1500. And then....BOOM! It's now over 4,000. If I could, I'd move in a heartbeat but the wife wants to stay close to our local hospital. And we are getting a little too old to be moving. But I absolutely despise these people. They move away from what they don't like, and then try and change our town into what they just left.
Yeah, I got the 'Get off my Lawn' attitude.

#16 ·
It's worse here with the townies. They move to the country then start complaining when the farmer is creating dust working his field for the next cotton crop that will used for the very cloths on their damn back. Or they complain when the ranchers animals are making more animals. Plus most of these townies are from Cali or NY and want to turn it all over to the same **** hole they left behind on the political side. They irk me to no end. But they are oh so much better and wiser than us country hicks that made the area that perfect place they saw that they wanted to move to. Creeps!

Reactions: ketchboy
#17 ·
I suppose we could all complain about how our little towns are changing, but that really wouldn't do much good. And there's not much we can do about it.

I am going to do one thing though. I have encountered these 'Move in's' a couple of times. They were complaining about the lack of goods and services, how it was so much easier to get thing done and buy things from where they just left. I just ignored them, did my business, and moved on. No more. Being a retired truck driver, among other things, I'm going to engage them in a conversation extolling the good things about where they are from. Weather, scenery, public services, etc. I will get them to agree that where they just came from is a nice place. I'll be very polite and courteous. Once they start bragging about how wonderful their little piece of paradise was, that's when I'll tell them to MOVE BACK TO WHERE THEY CAME FROM!

Nobody said I have to be nice to them.:devil:

#18 ·
Since that chart is only counting fatalities, one also has to consider helmets into the equation. Some states like California require helmets for everyone, while states like Illinois don't have a law at all. Our saving grace is probably a short riding season and free rider training.

But then that can't be the only factor as a couple helmet mandatory states rank high on the fatality list.

#19 ·
I'm really surprised that Pennsylvania is in the middle of the pack and not up there with Texas, we have crappy gravel and pothole filled roads, are overrun with deer, have no helmet law,and drinking then riding is really common and the laws about it are rarely enforced. I just got in from a 90 mile back roads ride on a beautiful day (FINALLY) and the only place I saw more bikes than on the roads were the bar parking lots, rows of them outside each one, of course they must all be drinking water only since they are going to ride, right?

Maybe the shorter riding season for the casual riders helps keep the numbers down?

#20 ·
Many riders have convinced themselves that the wind while riding sobers them right up. It is amazing how one justifies their actions. But I've heard more than one rider claim that. I've tested that theory in my youth and can say BS. I don't think riding between the yellow lines is the same as riding sober.

#26 ·
There is a ton of work and money in the Seattle area. But it is really crowded. A real pain to be on the freeway with 14 lanes going nowhere. I5 North and South, week days and weekends.
There are some nice places East of the Cascade range, Spokane and Wenatchee, and some nice places North and West of Seattle.

UK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.