Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried putting silicone, with end weights, in your handlebars to reduce the hand numbing Vibration on the throttle grip? I read this from a google search that took me to another forum. If you have did it work?:71baldboy:

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
I switched to foam grips. It greatly reduced the vibrations felt. On my third bike, I removed the factory end weights, and I installed foam grips: smoother than the OEM grips, with weights -- this is on a touring bike which we ride for 5+ days, for 6-8 hours each day. No issues. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
theres a device you can buy that's more professional and effective. its called the Vibranator and it does exactly what you described ... damps out handlebar vibrations. Supposedly it does work. I may get one some time.

dT

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
theres a device you can buy that's more professional and effective. its called the Vibranator and it does exactly what you described ... damps out handlebar vibrations. Supposedly it does work. I may get one some time.

dT
I had the Viranator bar ends on my recently departed FJR1300. They didn't seem any better at reducing vibrations than heavy bar ends. I'm not taking any chances with my next bike. I'm getting a Honda F6B. That flat-6 is the best engine available for vibration sensitive riders.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Cheesy ... god to know the negative feedback. I have now heard good and bad things about that device ... I guess sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't :)

dT

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,225 Posts
Has anyone tried putting silicone, with end weights, in your handlebars to reduce the hand numbing Vibration on the throttle grip? I read this from a google search that took me to another forum. If you have did it work?:71baldboy:
I did this, using a pair of 20 gauge foster shotgun slugs taped together on each side. (yes, they were out of the cases) It did an ok job. Vibes were reduced some, but I suspect a bar snake would have been more effective. The bar snake would also have been a hell of a lot easier to insert in the bars.

That was with the Shadow I used to have, which regularly saw RPM's around 4500 or so. With my Vmax, the engine seems to produce less vibes at speed, but they are still there. Thinking I will get a bar snake for next year.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on vibes. I ordered the end weights got them installed and lowered my buck horn bars and now the bike rides like a dream. It's hard for me to believe it is the same bike

Thanks all for the advice.

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
If I were bothered by too much vibration I would first look at what is making up the engine mounts. Adding some more rubber mounts might make it better for some. Other ideas maybe adding rubber washers to handlebar mounts might help some.

I never was bothered by excessive vibration on previous bikes. Vibration to me always felt like I had better blood flow and minimal fatigue on long runs, especially on the foot pegs which sent soothing vibration up my legs and beyond. Though I can also see how many don't like that feeling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts