Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Harley-Davidson Motor Co. said in documents that gas bubbles can cause the clutch master cylinder to lose its ability to fully disengage the clutch, especially if the bike has been parked for a long time. This could cause a rider to lose control of the motorcycle if it's started in gear.

The problem was found through customer complaints. Harley reported 27 crashes and four minor injuries.
I can see how that would be a prolific problem.

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
Lots of post about it too. Maybe everyone will get the message.

·
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah but this clutch problem is a new issue.:frown:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I find it hard to fathom that the MoCo still won't put a safety switch on the side stand to prevent starting while in gear.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I guess they expect people to be more responsible if they are going to take up riding a bike. If you aren't responsible enough to either put it in neutral or put the stand up, maybe you should sell the bike.

At least HD takes care of the issues they have, unlike most other manufacturers.

·
Nightfly
4,240 Posts
How about a reminder of the Honda Motor Co recalling 126,000 bikes for a second time because of a brake malfunction. Honda's GL-1800 motorcycle for model year 2001 - 2010 and 2012. Seems the secondary brake master cylinder can cause the rear brake to drag, potentially leading to a crash or fire. Apparently they've known about this problem for 14 years and still haven't determined the cause.

·
Registered
41 Posts
evermore "safety features"

I find it hard to fathom that the MoCo still won't put a safety switch on the side stand to prevent starting while in gear.
Such switches, as found on many Japanese and European bikes, do not prevent starting the engine, but act as a "kill switch" when the side-stand is out and the gear-box is shifted out of neutral.

I can think of scores of similar "safety devices", each of which would increase the cost of the product by some amount, and each of which might save a fool from the consequences of his or her ill-considered action in some infinitesimally small number of instances.

The final solution to all these "problems" is to only ride in a cage, driven by a factory-trained and government-licensed chauffeur.

Is this what we want?

(p.s., the bike I ride has one of these... :)

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
My Victory doesn't have a side stand switch either. I don't think any Vics do

·
Registered
427 Posts
I can think of scores of similar "safety devices", each of which would increase the cost of the product by some amount, and each of which might save a fool from the consequences of his or her ill-considered action in some infinitesimally small number of instances.
The 1999-2006 Honda Rebel had a side stand safety switch and carried a $2999 MSRP. As the price escalated afterwards the switch remains standard equipment today.

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
Probably with the 4th wheel they took off that car.:thumbsup:

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,879 Posts
Far as I know No American made Motorcycles have a Kickstand Safety Start Switch .. And Owned HD , Victory and Now Indian .. Is not a Requirement here although is in some Countries .. So Import Bikes made here will have them .. ABS is even required in a few .. Import Scouts have ABS they are the only ones .. Still think is a Good Thing that HD makes the public aware of the problems rather try and sweep it under the rug ..

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
My 1998 Honda Shadow ACE has a switch associated with the kick stand. First time I started it up, when looking at it the day I bought it, I brought the kickstand up at the wrong time, and the motor shut off (the safety switch worked, obviously).

I could see having a safety switch associated with the clutch........that would make sense. Why the kick-stand?

-soupy

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,879 Posts
I could see having a safety switch associated with the clutch........that would make sense. Why the kick-stand?

-soupy
Just about every safety feature if not all on a vehicle becomes a requirement .. Someone has been killed and the safety factor became a requirement rather than an option .. Just going to guess someone took off with the kickstand down and somehow caused him to wreck badly ..

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Side stand safety switches can also fail. My last bike before my current ride had a faulty switch and even with the side stand fully up would sometimes keep me from riding. As soon as I would put the bike into gear and release the clutch it would shut down the engine. Fortunately it was an intermittent problem so while it was not affecting the bike I was able to get to the dealer and have it corrected. But overall I think it is a worthwhile safety feature.

I think that there are numerous things that can make riding safer without detracting from the fun of riding. This includes ABS, modulating headlights, self canceling turn signals, better standard lighting (front and rear) and maybe someday, run flat tires. To be as safe as possible, of course, would mean riding a car or truck instead of a motorcycle, but some things can and do make our ride safer and still give us the control and fun of riding our own ride.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts