Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
I thought linking or mentioning other forums is frowned upon. No?
I don't think anyone is guilty of that. Sam (Porky) is just trying to get people to think, he's not using another forum link to persuade others to leave this forum. Interesting reading Sam and I hope they can get things worked out with some new good people. To paraphrase Harley may not sell the most motorcycles but you don't see anyone walking around with a Camry tattoo on their arm. There is something to be said for what they have accomplished over the many years. I do believe they need to stop thumping their chest and start winning some of those races they say they want to compete in. Nitro Harley drag bikes don't count, there isn't one piece of factory made product on those bikes.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,984 Posts
There is no question that the motorcycle industry in the US has seen major declines in recent years, and now that we are in the midst of this coronavirus nightmare things will get exponentially worse. Trillions of dollars of wealth have already been lost through the collapse of the stock markets, and millions of businesses will fail over the next weeks and months as they are unable to maintain viability without incoming revenue. The economic devastation that the nation is suffering, even if so many do not fully see it yet, may sound the death knell for some industries that are seen as providing recreational vehicles for those with disposable income. In the last several days I was notified that a dealership that I bought several Triumph's from, one that had a national reputation for being the most customer friendly in the country and seemed to be thriving as of just a few months ago, announced that it is permanently closed as of right now. How much the virus crisis played in that decision I have no idea, but it was not a closing that I would have anticipated for this somewhat niche brand that I had personally seen riders travel from halfway across the country to come to because of its reputation.

I bought my Goldwing at a very large, multi brand dealership in a moderately large city in Wisconsin, and I would hope that they can weather the storm, but who knows? Being large they likely have a very high fixed cost basis, and something tells me that sales of everything they sell, from motorcycles and gear to snow mobiles to ATV's will drop to unheard of levels as people hunker down in isolation for fear of contagion. I also use a small two man motorcycle repair shop that I dearly hope will survive since I don't do my own maintenance, but who knows if they can handle this crisis as well.

So overall I will not be surprised to see a massive decline in everything related to motorcycling. In the big picture that might become the least of my, and other's concerns. A major recession, or even a depression may make even thoughts about the "sport" of riding, and all things related to it, only a pleasant memory at some point.

Sorry for the doom and gloom, but like many of us, in the last two weeks I have seen my retirement savings evaporate, my community go into panic mode, and much of the political environment see all of this primarily as a means of advancing a partisan agenda without much regard for the lives that are being decimated. No one will be happier than I am if I turn out to be totally wrong on all of this.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,671 Posts
This country has weathered a lot of things, we will unite at some point and weather this as well.

Vito after 12 years of gains like most of us the only thing you are loosing are the gains, not what you put into it. Now after yesterday's loss you could be dipping into what you put into the market. It will all depends on what happens today.

Reactions: Tobacco Road

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
The US markets our down eleven trillion dollars. The markets will return to where they were. Some one will make eleven trillion dollars.
For the average person a ten percent loss is on fifty thousand is five thousand. Think of the amount lost by the daddy big bucks of the world. There is enough cash is the hands of the wealthy, to buy the entire stocks in the US. Only $325 of my monthly income comes from my rainy day fund. It can weather this current down turn. As Critter says, it has only gone back to what it was a few years ago. My current building fund is in cash. More money due in November is guaranteed. " I'm a carpenter and I'm okay, I sleep all night and i work all day "

UK

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
Nothing like a negative voice in the crowd. Thanks Vito, for shinning the light of dispare on what is taking place. We have survived much worse and will continue to do so. This is just a glitch that will be overcome quickly when people realize their panic is unfounded and at that point the rebound will be quick. We don't need negativity Vito, we need people with a positive outlook, those who know this is America and will always come out on top, and we will again. Critter is right on the money, it just seems to have returned to normalcy.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Did anyone complain when stocks were climbing a record breaking rates? Heck, I don't think anyone gave credit where credit was due. Nope, everyone just bellyaches when they lost those very profits. Sometimes I'm amazed. I'm getting hit twice, stocks and oil prices in the tank. Yet I'm not complaining. I might later when everything settles into the new norm but not now. Too early. Those so called profits were on paper and worth the paper really. Until you cash out you got nothing. Well, that's how I look at it. I threw away some money in stocks years ago and never looked back. And I let my financial planner do all the worrying and investing or selling. If I make money he makes money. I just sit back and drink beer. Let him pull all his hair out. I literally look at it as if I threw the money away years ago. That's how it was suggested to me when I got it. So I did and just never look at it except tax time, then write the loss off or pay my taxes on the gains. But loosing my financial future, nope. If it's there fine. If not, I'll drink less beer.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Drink less beer? Oh, hogcowboy, lets hope it never comes to that!

This downturn is different because it is a reduction in productivity coupled with some panic. When the virus is under control, the economy will return to normal. Not overnight, and oil prices are working on their own dynamic for different reasons, but the economy will recover. The economic fundamentals are there. This is not like the 2008 crash or other major downturns that happened because of overblown values or speculation driving the market. This is just people not working as much because of a virus. It's like a pause button on the economy.

And just think of all the stir crazy people who will start buying airplane tickets (and maybe motorcycles)!

In the mean time, it sure is nice to have a hobby that naturally involves social distancing, and at the same time less traffic. :)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder if retail prices on new Motorcycles will go down for cash buyers as the dealers realize that they either sell or fold??
Sam

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Deer show up fairly regular down in the cow pasture, squirrels keep coming in to the trees in the yard, and there's fish in the lake. We'll be okay for a while.

Haven't ate any squirrels in probably 40 years, but if I have to, I can do it again.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I wonder if retail prices on new Motorcycles will go down for cash buyers as the dealers realize that they either sell or fold??
Sam
Get ready Sam. Timing will be key. Hope you already test rode the one you want because that window of opportunity may be very small. Prices may go sky high after things open back up.

Reactions: Porky

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
Yesterday was a beautiful day here, so I dragged my buddy Steve out for his first ride
of the season. So we headed out for a long ride in the country with a stop for Ice Cream!!
Due to the unusually warm weather, everything is beginning to turn
green here MUCH earlier than usual.
I LOVE IT!

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Same here yet we are supposed to get a freeze this weekend. That will nip this early growth. And we almost always have a freeze around Easter. I can almost make money betting it will freeze. I've only seen it not freeze in the 30+ years I've been back in Texas, maybe 5 times. I can only remember 3 but I'm giving you 2 more just in case.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually, my lawn could use it's first mowing of the season but after last nights 'cloud burst' dropping at least 2 inches in one storm, it will be too wet for a 1,400 lb ZTR mower to work without getting STUCKo_O My trees need pruning too or they will be stabbing me with their branches as they always do.

Sam

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,671 Posts
Deer show up fairly regular down in the cow pasture, squirrels keep coming in to the trees in the yard, and there's fish in the lake. We'll be okay for a while.

Haven't ate any squirrels in probably 40 years, but if I have to, I can do it again.
Tastes like chicken, just watch out for the led pellets.

Everything is blooming here, supposed to be 80 tomorrow and snow flurries next week.

Reactions: Retired Guy
1 - 20 of 24 Posts