Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 TaoTao 50cc. I was riding it and it started bogging out, and then died. At first I could get it to start again by running the electric starter for about 10 seconds while giving it full throttle, and it would run for about a minute (if I kept giving it gas) and then die. Now it won't even start.

-I replaced the spark plug, and confirmed with my hand that it's sparking
-I opened the carburetor and it was clean, as were the jets. I tried replacing it anyway with an identical one from my parts bike.
-I cleaned the air filter
-I confirmed that there is gas going into the carburetor from the fuel line by pulling off the fuel line and trying to start it.

I don't know what else to try. It's getting fuel and spark. What else is there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My gas tank is full of gasoline.

I read the thread to which you linked me, and everything is good. Hence my confusion. What else can I try?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
If you've got gas, compression, and spark...the only thing left is that the spark is occurring at the wrong time.

Even a half cup of water at the bottom of your tank will keep it from starting. Did you actually do the ignition test I suggested, getting the gas from the fuel hose?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am aware that half a cup of water in my gas tank would keep it from starting. No I did not try the test, because I know I don't have a half cup of water in my gas tank. I appreciate your assistance, but with all due respect, I'm not a moron. I wouldn't put diesel or water in my gas tank.

Another problem is that when it was running, gas was coming out of the gas overflow line on the bottom of the carb. It just dawned on me that it might be the air/fuel ratio. I just got this scooter, and don't know what the last guy did to it. Should I try adjusting that screw? Should I turn it left or right, and how much?

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Gas coming out the overflow indicates the carb is flooding. The air/fuel mixture screw SHOULD NOT be adjusted. The carb float needle is not sealing tight. Remove the carb and open the float bowl. Remove the float needle and massage the tip with an alcohol prep pad (if the tip is rubber, if not rubber, clean it with carb cleaner), then clean the float needle seat. That should fix you up. And the ped might take quite a lot of cranking to get the carb full of gas again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The needle was clean, but there was a piece of debris stuck underneath it. I'm sure that was the cause of my problem. But now when I put it back together and put the carb back on the bike, the carb is barely getting any gas. I cranked it for at least a minute in total (while giving it rests in between) and it didn't start, so I removed the carb and pulled the bowl back off. There was only a very small amount of gas in it (Roughly the volume of two quarters). I looked around, and couldn't find any obstructions. I compared the internals to that of a nearly identical carb, and the float and needle are both oriented properly. Everything looks right. What might I have missed, or messed up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have a petcock, but there is a vacuum line running from the fuel regulator to the intake. It is attached, and leak-free.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Disconnect the fuel line from the carb, then disconnect the vacuum line from the intake. Apply vacuum to the vacuum line (suck on it) and see if fuel flows freely out the fuel line. Chinese petcocks (vacuum fuel valves) are notorious for failing. If it seems to work fine, I would remove the carb and bench test the float needle system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OneEyedJack, I tried what you said. Applying vacuum to the vacuum line from the carb does make fuel come out of the petcock, where it would normally connect to the carb. So that isn't the problem.
I don't know what you mean about "bench [testing] the float needle system". But I have taken this carburetor apart at least 5 times, and checked EVERYTHING. I swear there's nothing wrong with this carb. But for some reason it still is only getting a tiny bit of gas. What else could be the problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts