Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning our annual Fall Motorcycle Trip and we are riding to Walhalla, SC and then going up the Moonshiner 28 towards Fontana Dam. The next day will be the obligatory trip through the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway. Other than the obligatory stops at the waterfalls on 28, is there anything else on 28 that we need to see? Good lunch recommendations are always appreciated. I also want to divert off of the Dragon around mile 6.5 and follow the trail to confederate soldier Bas Shaw's grave site. Has anyone done this? If so, is there enough room to get 4-6 bikes turned around along the trail? All the pictures and videos I've seen show the grave site and the trail out, but none show the area around the grave site.

·
If in doubt...what?
105 Posts
What are you riding? Since you used the word "trail" above I'll assume it is some variety of dual purpose/adventure bike. That being the case you may greatly enjoy the fire road that leads out of the Smokey Mountain National Park. At the far west end of the park there is Cades Cove that is a loop road. off the southwest corner of the loop is the two rut road called Parson Branch Road. It is a very fun ride with some grades and several easy water features to cross. ( I run it regularly on a GS with street tires) It dumps out onto the dragon. The down side for you may be that fact that you access Cades Cove via US 321 on the north west side of the park. But, more good news US321 is accessed by the foothills parkway, a very nice ride in itself. One word of caution. The Cades Cove loop can become very congested with folks who think just because they are on vacation and are in a vacation spot designed to specifically gain them relaxing access to nature from the comfort of their car, that they should just creep along at a leisurely pace rubber necking wild life!!! Is that outrageous or what. I got places to go! Twisties to run! :^)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm riding a '92 Honda Nighthawk 750. I've taken it on trails and dirt roads in the mountains many times. We'll have several larger cruiser type bikes with us, so that's why I was asking. The trail up to the grave site off the Dragon isn't very long, but I don't want to put anyone in danger if there isn't a safe spot to turn around. I've heard good things about Parson Branch Road and seen the videos. I'd love to ride that, but I believe it's closed currently according to the following site:

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts