Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to sport bikes / motorcycles. I went from a 1980 honda cb750 custom to a 2001 suzuki gsx600f katana. I am trying to get myself ready for upgrades to the bike. I had another post where someone told me to modify the sprocket and a few other things, but i have no idea how to modify the sprocket or even where to begin. Anyone have any good thoughts on how to do this??

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
You can't actually modify your sprocket, you need to buy a new one with more or less teeth. I am assuming you want more power so a popular mod is to go -1 tooth in the front +2 in the rear to give you more acceleration. When you replace the sprockets you should replace the chain as well.

·
The Cool Joker
1,451 Posts
however, doing -1 in the front is nearly the equivalent of going +2 in the rear. we need to know your stock gearing in the sprockets to give you a proper idea.

example:

my stock sprockets are 15/47, which is 3.133. a simple change to 14/47 changed the overall ratio to 3.357, quite a good bit for just one tooth changed.

in consideration, you could change to 15/49, but that is 2.266. there is more change from one tooth in front than 2 teeth in the rear.

14/49 is a common ratio for my bike, which equates to 3.5 . mind you, this is a good ways away from 3.133.....enough change to put a dent into gas mileage and to limit top speed by around 15 mph (not important if you're not TRACKING the bike, though).

www.gearingcommander.com is your best friend :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I just want to be able to have a quicker pickup speed, and basically be able to do wheelies and stuff easier :p I am not really concerned about top speed at this point in time lol. I have alrady had the bike to 130 and still had more to go :p I just went to the power commander site you listed there and it said that my stock ratio is 15/47. So are you saying that the best thing to do would be -1 in the front and +2 in the back, creating the ratio change to 14/49??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So let me get this straight, lowering the ratio in the front sprocket, and making the ratio higher in the rear sprocket = faster pickup speed but loss in top speed?? So then making the front sprocket ratio higher in the front and lower in the back = slower pickup but higher top speed?

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
Theoretically, increasing the teeth of the front and decreasing in the back will increase top speed, however in practical terms all it will do is slow down your acceleration and lower your cruising RPMs. If you can imagine yourself riding a bike in top gear, theoretically you'd be able to go faster, however each push of the pedal requires more effort/umph, and its harder for your legs (or the engine in the case of your bike) to propel the bike. This added load is why you're not likely to see much increase in top end speed.

·
The Cool Joker
1,451 Posts
simply divide the big number by the little number to get your ratio. the higher the ratio number, the more quickly you can accelerate (in theory). the smaller the number, the faster you can go (in theory).

laws of physics may apply, void where prohibited. see your racetrack for details :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
primalmu, what a unique way of putting that into context lol!
Well my next step is going to have to be finding someone who still makes sprockets for my bike that are the number of teeth i want lol

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
primalmu, what a unique way of putting that into context lol!
Well my next step is going to have to be finding someone who still makes sprockets for my bike that are the number of teeth i want lol
check sprocketcenter.com and ebay, should be able to find something there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW! that website sprocketcenter is a real good website! I have been checking e-bay and didnt real see anything, besides the OEM size 15/47. I just checked sprocketcenter and they have exactly what i want :) :) Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
So let me get this straight, lowering the ratio in the front sprocket, and making the ratio higher in the rear sprocket = faster pickup speed but loss in top speed?? So then making the front sprocket ratio higher in the front and lower in the back = slower pickup but higher top speed?
Picture a 10 speed bicycle gearing. Smaller front sprocket and bigger rear sprockets makes it wayyy easier to get going from a stop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
go down 1 tooth in the front. Only need a new chain if the one you have is aged. Also go with steel sprockets, aluminum wear quicker and are mostly for racing...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts