Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I would like to know if anyone would be interested in having their motorcycle serviced at home. I have the idea to start a motorcycle repair service business and I would like to have your opinion. In my area, there is no motorcycle repair garage besides the dealers and I think it would be a good idea to have a repair service anywhere, anytime. I only want to do small job like oil change, tire change, chain, belt, little things like that. Would you be willing to pay a little more for a service at home rather than take your bike to the garage?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I wouldn't be interested but there might be people who are.

Seems to me you'd need to be in an area that has a relatively high density of motorcycles regardless of how many independent shops and dealerships you have.

And you're going to have to be able to convince your customers that you have the knowledge and experience to be able to service their bikes correctly and safely.

Stocking oil and filters and other parts to be able to service a wide variety of bikes is going to be expensive and take a lot of effort and investment. Are you planning on using an enclosed trailer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I will be using a 8.5x16x7 enclosed trailer and I don’t want to do it in full time job knowing that it’s almost impossible in my area. It’s not a garage with full time mecanics! I already have a 6x12x6 enclosed trailer so I will sell it and buy a bigger one what I think it will not a lot more and I have all the tools I need. It will not be a big investment for me and if it does not work I will not have lost much.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
While I like the idea, personally I would not want someone coming to my home to do those things. No offense, I am not aiming this at you in particular, but you hear things about people coming to your home for stuff and things disappearing. I have some cool stuff and I don't necessarily want people to know that.

Now what I WOULD be interested in is a guy that could roll up to my place of business and throw my bike up on a stand and do some maintenance while I am inside working. I knew a guy once that installed trailer hitches on pickup trucks this way, and he made a killing. I think the key thing would be for you to be able to roll the bike up into your trailer or truck and do the work inside. Most employers wouldn't be too keen on a guy tearing a bike apart in their parking lot, especially with the chance of spilling oil and whatnot.

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,499 Posts
I don't trust the Mobil units beyond emergency repairs. Even then I am over their shoulder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts