Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first post. Hope someone can help! My buddy and I are rebuilding a 1996 Honda 600 Shadow VLX. Since the carbs were hopelessly gummed up, we removed, cleaned, and replaced them. Problem is, we cant figure out where one last vacuum line attaches. I would love to post pictures of the line and where it attaches to the carbs, but apparently forum rules wont let a newby post attachments!! A picture would save 1000 words and a lot of problems. When or how can I get permission to post a picture?
Thanks,
Jwp48

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vacuum mystery, cont.

My pics are in the computer. Is there any way to upload them to you? Sorry I'm such a novice at this.
jwp48

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clarification

Thanks for the editing Dodsfall. As the pics show, the two short ends of the vacuum line are in place on top of the carbs, below the gas tank. Its the long end that we cant figure out where to attach.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Hoses

Can I assume the fuel lines are in place?
And there is one fuel shut off on the tank?
Then one fuel line coming from the tank and feeding two carburetors.
Does the small lever on the shutoff, in small print, say, on, prime, reserve.
Remove a fuel line and put it in a container. Turn the fuel tap to prime, fuel should come out. Set it back to on or run, if that is what it says.

Is there another metal hose fitting on the petcock? If yes, then the vacuum line should go on there.

Check all of the above and report back.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
If not the line to the petcock it could be the line to the air cut-off valve. Sometimes it's mounted to the outboard side of one of the carburetors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no joy so far

The fuel lines are in place, with one line coming from the tank to the two carbs. The shutoff handle is marked On, Off, and Res. There is no Prime selection that is apparent. There is no other hose fitting that we can see on the petcock. Also, there does not seem to be an air cut-off valve visible on either carb.
The mystery continues. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could they be the overflow hoses?
That might explain it. Wonder if anyone has ever seen such a thing- overflow hoses for, I guess, gas? Seems like it would still have to be connected to something to prevent overflow from dripping down over the hot engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a "vent hose" ?

My buddy found a YouTube video of a guy disassembling a similar carb. He claims that the hose in question is a vent of some type for the carbs and the nether end simply hangs unattached below the carbs. Guess we'll try it like that and see what happens. Thanks for all the help, guys.
Jwp48

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
You should post a link to the video your buddy found so that maybe others will find it helpful. :)

Float bowl drain hoses generally just vent down underneath the bike somewhere.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
nice vid eye.
why didn't they gift wrap it!
It took me 2 days to figure out that hose pointed in the other direction on my 750f! (not kidding, not funny)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
then there is the "STRAIN GAUGE". the upside down under the rest of the stuff connection that must be proper...
(I thought it filtered the air and gas)

·
Ace Tuner
2,914 Posts
My first post. Hope someone can help! My buddy and I are rebuilding a 1996 Honda 600 Shadow VLX. Since the carbs were hopelessly gummed up, we removed, cleaned, and replaced them. Problem is, we cant figure out where one last vacuum line attaches. I would love to post pictures of the line and where it attaches to the carbs, but apparently forum rules wont let a newby post attachments!! A picture would save 1000 words and a lot of problems. When or how can I get permission to post a picture?
Thanks,
Jwp48

It is a vent hose for the carbs. The 'covered' / 'reinforced' part near the end is there to protect it from wear.
That part goes against some tight spot in the assembly but I can't remember what.

Try plugging the two ends into the carb vent spigots (top side of carbs) and see which way the hose wants to 'lay'.
Then flipping em around the opposite way and see if either way gives you a clue as to the correct direction.

A lot of times the single open end will go into the air box, but again I can't remember on this model. Do you have an extra hole in the air box?
I've done carbs on the VT600 before but I've slept since then so.........

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
SemiFast... You are correct that the hose is a vent line. The end of which connects to a white plastic "box" that is mounted right under the fuel tank, between the upper frame tubes.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Glad to see you posting again, Jack. These metric bikes confuse me and give me headaches. I try to help when I can, but they just make no sense to me.:coffeescreen:

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Glad to see you posting again, Jack. These metric bikes confuse me and give me headaches. I try to help when I can, but they just make no sense to me.:coffeescreen:

They're just motors Dude... Metric or American, they do the same thing. They require the same inputs. But yeah, the jap bikes get hit hard by the EPA and therefore require a lot of extra hoses and "empty boxes" that freak people out. California bikes are the worst!!!:biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts