Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new in here and need help. Just got myself an R1 2008 model 4C8 and there is a bolt which secure the engine to the frame is missing, can not read the diagram properly very confused, can someone help me please, I have attached the picture. Many thanks and stay safe

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
669 Posts
Take one out of another locatin, see if it fits, then take it to whatever store in your area sells bolts and haven them give you a handfull. Get some blue locktite and some brake cleaner. Spray out the hole, put a small amnount of locktite on the bolt and install it. Maybe clean and add locktite to the other engine mount bolts one at a time so you know they won't get loose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you buddy, will try to snick in the hardwares shop. Coz with the corona stuffs we aren’t allowed outside at all except for food shopping or work.
cheers buddy. Have a great day
???

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Three basic bolt threads. Imperial, US and metric. Each divided by course or fine. Your bike will probably be metric, and I am guessing a fine thread for that job. Measure the length to where the threads start and add at least 1/2 inch. Measure the diameter. Now you can buy a 50mm X 10mm fine thread metric bolt. Alan heads look pretty. I am guessing at the size. I like the idea of finding a matching bolt somewhere else on the bike. Maybe on the other side of the engine.
If you do not use metric numbers, the guy in the store will.
Sometimes I buy spares, plus a tap and dye for the popular bolts, like the engine casings. Because sometimes the bolts the manufacturer used, are not stock lengths. Honda does this with seals as an example.
UK

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the reply. Probably will be much easier to remove the other side bolt and try to screw in the missing space see if will fit, if it does will be a bonus and will take to the shop to have a look if they have similar. Fingers crossed.
This is how the other side looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take one out of another locatin, see if it fits, then take it to whatever store in your area sells bolts and haven them give you a handfull. Get some blue locktite and some brake cleaner. Spray out the hole, put a small amnount of locktite on the bolt and install it. Maybe clean and add locktite to the other engine mount bolts one at a time so you know they won't get loose.
Hello buddy. Done exactly what you have explained and spot on. Perfect size. Now need to snick in the shop and try to find similar bolt. Can not thank you enough.
Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Can't learn without asking, I don't know, so I'll ask, does the motor mount bolt need to be a certain hardness? A graded bolt?

Just curious.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be honest I am not sure. That’s why will take to to the hardware shop to have a look. Not sure if will happen coz at the moment we are not allowed outside only for work or buying food or exercise. Will check at work if they have something similar. Hope this helps, have a look at the photos attached
Cheers

Attachments

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
To be honest I am not sure. That’s why will take to to the hardware shop to have a look. Not sure if will happen coz at the moment we are not allowed outside only for work or buying food or exercise. Will check at work if they have something similar. Hope this helps, have a look at the photos attached
Cheers
Get a picture of the top of the bolt or just look. Usually the top will give an indication of hardness. But not all factory bolts do unfortunately. But maybe we can tell. I forget what they all are but the number of lines on top is part of the key. I’d have to do a search to verify what grade some are based on those lines.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Most decent bolts are grade eight. Stainless bolts are also grade eight. If it is harder, you need to order a bolt that is harder than grade eight. Probably a chart somewhere. Search for bolt grade chart. Grade eight is pretty tough.
UK

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Morning all. I have a Engine Management light on. then went into the diagnostics to check the error - D62 Which is the memory and can see 1 error but isn’t showing any code on D60. Trying to delete but no luck. Even remove the battery for 48 hours did not help. Any help will be much appreciate
thank you

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Thank you. Very helpful, really appreciate your time and effort for your help
Cheers
Well I was hoping there would be some markings as in this chart about markings and bolt strength. If there are none what so ever, hard to say for sure in that photo, I think I'd go as UK suggests as well, grade 8 or stainless if you want to buff it up and be shiney. Although it's possible they do want it to sheer easily so a soft bolt might be in order. I'd have to go back and read what this is actually for to determine that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you buddy, very helpful. I went to couple shop and the head was different. I ordered one via eBay and in couple of days hopefully will grit and will post the picture and the link. Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts