Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just before Labor Day weekend I left with my wife on what turned into a six week road trip with our camping trailer and no motorcycle. The trip went great, seeing my two oldest sons and their families, visiting some old friends who are now retired in AZ and TX, and visiting some of the national parks we had not yet visited. But seeing the endless number of motorcycles on the road while I was driving my SUV pulling along my travel trailer at 60 mph was frustrating. I knew I was missing on some of the best riding of the year, when summer heat has passed and the Fall is not cold enough to interfere with good riding. We got home last night to a cold rain, so I am not sure when I can get out and ride again. I now regret not spending the big bucks to get a "toy hauler" camper that I can take along my motorcycle on such a trip, even if that means needing a truck instead of an SUV to tow it. But hopefully, being only early October, I will still have some good riding days before the snows of winter again descend upon this part of the Midwest.

·
Registered
775 Posts
A light dirt bike or a scooter can be shoved inside the camper or perched up into a dedicated nest on the trailer tongue or attached to the back end of the camper. Also makes for a nice backup if your RV develops issues.

I know a guy who has taken a few trips to florida sleeping next to the Harley shoehorned into the back of his Dodge Caravan. They fit, but only ass end first, through the side door.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I didn't realize how much less riding I would be doing when "papa" volunteered to watch grand daughter when school started. Even with Nana working, it was supposed to only be a half a day.

Things aren't working like they were supposed to. Oh well, I love her, but I don't think I'll ever be a good Ken to her Barbie. ;)

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I'm with ya, Vito. This weather sucks. I'm already switching to my cold gear and it's not even mid October. There's even a freeze warning tonight! My Goldwing is sure to enjoy that...

Thankfully it does appear we'll hit the 60s again next week, but who knows how much rain will come with it.

As for your camper, have you considered adding a hitch on the back? That way you can get one of those motorcycle carriers, though I'm not sure how much weight they can handle.

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,445 Posts
You bet the weather sucks. We just went from summer straight into winter. Brrr. At least we aren't getting the snow. But I bet we do before this winter is up. Man I hate talking about winter, let alone try to ride in it:smile:

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I had a hitch built that I mounted on the rear of my fifth wheel trailer, then I bought a small, enclosed trailer to haul my bike in.

I had to run a fiberglass pole across the back of the trailer and tie on some flags so I would know it was still back there. My only "major" problem was I couldn't backup more than 5 or 6 feet.

And some states do not permit pulling doubles, so I didn't go there. :)
A welding shop in Louisianna built my hitch for me.

·
On The Road Again!
4,649 Posts
I'm with ya, Vito. This weather sucks. I'm already switching to my cold gear and it's not even mid October. There's even a freeze warning tonight! My Goldwing is sure to enjoy that...

Thankfully it does appear we'll hit the 60s again next week, but who knows how much rain will come with it.

As for your camper, have you considered adding a hitch on the back? That way you can get one of those motorcycle carriers, though I'm not sure how much weight they can handle.
Boy, what a thousand miles difference can make.
It's 70 here today and it's supposed to stay that way for the next few.
Looks like we are going to have a perfect "Shirt Sleeve Weather" day for our last club ride tomorrow.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
769 Posts
If you think motorcycling is weather dependent, try snowmobiling. :)
My wife and I realized a long time ago that our definitions of an ideal vacation are different. She'll spend a whole week visiting with friends and family. I'm good doing that for a day or two, then I'm looking at the door. If we are planning to visit someone across country, she'll often fly out and I'll ride the bike or load my dog, my new favorite traveling companion ;) into the roadster and see stuff along the way that would only interest me. That way neither is limited by the other's schedule.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.