Motorcycle Forum banner

Missed by inches

3K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Critter 
#1 ·
Yesterday I went for a ride, although I am not sure why. It was really, really hot, and the air hitting me while moving did little to cool me off. I was about 30 minutes into the ride and thinking that I should just turn around and head home before I melted into the asphalt when a deer jumped out of nowhere right in front of me. I guess I caught a glimpse of it in my peripheral vision because I did grab some front brake and slowed just enough that I missed hitting that doe by literally inches. I have to admit it shook me up a bit. I found a spot to turn around, headed home and said to myself that this was more than enough of a ride for one day.

#5 ·
Always a bit unnerving when we just miss a deer. Happens often enough on my Island.
Rob, a local rider, hit one about 15 months ago, and is still a bit structurally messed up.
When I pulled in to my drive last Friday night, my cargo trailer jumped out and smacked me.
There should be a law prohibiting seniors from drinking and riding. Especially after dark. UK

#7 ·
New fridge quit, reel to reel running slow, turntable plays one channel, ran over some rocks with the van, Deep Purple fell over, brock one of the new cabinets, another cabinet is the wrong unit. My week so far. Soooooooooooooooo, I have a new self imposed limit of beer, while out. Something that I preached to a couple of Indian kids I counselled a while back. I need to follow my own advice. But sometimes the born again teenager overrides the senior logic.
The problem is simple. If I can get the stupid thing started, and going down the road, I am fine. Stopping is the issue. they can fall over. UK

#8 ·
Stupid forest rats! I think it was last October that the wife and I were just south of Springfield MO nearing the end of a week's ride in Arkansas and Oklahoma and a deer jumped across the road in front of us. It was just like you described. We missed it by less than a foot with only time to grab a little brake. It shook me up pretty bad, but the positive I took from it is that I am more careful around trees and corn fields than I was before. It took all the fun out of the last day of riding, but that was only temporary. All life is risk. Give yourself time.

#10 ·
If there was ever an animal that needs to be population controlled it's the damn deer, we are over run with them here and even all the hunting doesn't seem to help, we have more every year, they reproduce faster than they get shot!
They are so unpredictable, all you can do is keep your eyes open and hope for the best.
Glad you missed it!

#12 ·
Fewer and fewer people are hunting. The Left is successfully convincing a larger and larger portion of society that hunting is cruel and unnecessary, and that those that hunt animals are retarded wackoes of the Right. At one time the anti-gun crowd would affirm that they had no objection to firearms intended for hunting, including most rifles and shotguns, saying that they wanted to control the firearms intended for criminal activity, i.e., handguns. But they have tasted the blood in the water with the control that the Left has achieved politically (at least at the Federal level) and now has many, if not most people convinced that commonly owned rifles, often used for hunting, are really "assault weapons". and need to be banned. So the net result of all of this is that hunting is disparaged, and fewer and fewer people are out there culling the herds of deer that end up in front of our motorcycles, cars and trucks. I really don't know how to reverse these trends, since despite doing some hunting as a kid with my Dad, I personally never had much interest in doing it as an adult, and maybe as a result of that, not one of my five grown kids, their spouses or any of my 12 grandchildren are hunters.

Reactions: Steele11b
#14 ·
I really don't know how to reverse these trends, since despite doing some hunting as a kid with my Dad, I personally never had much interest in doing it as an adult,
My family was big in to quail hunting when I was a kid. About my mid 20's, quail was getting scarce, probably a little to do with farming practices I'd guess. Turkey came in heavy, so I switched to turkey. Now they're not nearly as thick as they were just 10 years ago.

Deer remain the same. I deer hunted from my 20's on, but quit when I had kids. Processing fees for deer was ridiculous, if I'm paying that kind ofoney, I'm buying beef.

About the only way I like deer is in jerky, not that ground up jerky, actual meat strips. Only one if my boys was interested in deer hunting when I said if we shoot a deer, we process it. So that's what we do. And we only do it when we get a hankering for another batch of deer jerky.

Fish and game still treat deer better than people. They need to lower tag fees and raise limits.

#15 ·
Stupid deer. That happens allot here, even to car drivers. The road is called Space Center, it rolls right past NASA. People race on that road all the time, they hit deer all the time to. Its not uncommon to see a dozen deer blasting out the front gate onto NASA road 1. Glad you missed it.
My family was big in to quail hunting when I was a kid. About my mid 20's, quail was getting scarce, probably a little to do with farming practices I'd guess. Turkey came in heavy, so I switched to turkey. Now they're not nearly as thick as they were just 10 years ago.

Deer remain the same. I deer hunted from my 20's on, but quit when I had kids. Processing fees for deer was ridiculous, if I'm paying that kind ofoney, I'm buying beef.

About the only way I like deer is in jerky, not that ground up jerky, actual meat strips. Only one if my boys was interested in deer hunting when I said if we shoot a deer, we process it. So that's what we do. And we only do it when we get a hankering for another batch of deer jerky.

Fish and game still treat deer better than people. They need to lower tag fees and raise limits.

not that hard to process it your self. Doves are big here, but we do more talking and catching up then hunting.

#20 ·
Yesterday I went for a ride, although I am not sure why. It was really, really hot, and the air hitting me while moving did little to cool me off. I was about 30 minutes into the ride and thinking that I should just turn around and head home before I melted into the asphalt when a deer jumped out of nowhere right in front of me. I guess I caught a glimpse of it in my peripheral vision because I did grab some front brake and slowed just enough that I missed hitting that doe by literally inches. I have to admit it shook me up a bit. I found a spot to turn around, headed home and said to myself that this was more than enough of a ride for one day
Yesterday I went for a ride, although I am not sure why. It was really, really hot, and the air hitting me while moving did little to cool me off. I was about 30 minutes into the ride and thinking that I should just turn around and head home before I melted into the asphalt when a deer jumped out of nowhere right in front of me. I guess I caught a glimpse of it in my peripheral vision because I did grab some front brake and slowed just enough that I missed hitting that doe by literally inches. I have to admit it shook me up a bit. I found a spot to turn around, headed home and said to myself that this was more than enough of a ride for one day.
Hope your drawers handled the load you left.😁

#21 ·
In SW Missouri, we have Mountain Lion's, Black Bear's, Thousands of Turkey's and Deer are everywhere.

I allow no hunting on our Farm land and every morning 30 or more deer are around our home.

The other day on my commute to work, about 1/2 mile South of my Home, a huge Doe jumped out of the Corn Patch, right into the middle of the road and her new born Fawn, not much larger than a Puppy, ran straight down the road, right towards me and just right on past my Pickup. Good thing I was stopped.

Black bear sightings are becoming more numerous and so far all have been in residential neighborhoods.

I hate to ride my Motorcycle's at night in this area because of the Deer situation, there are just Sooooo many of them!

Sam:)

#22 ·
sadly those deer need to bw thinned out. Here, they juat poison them. When i lived in Cali, there was a place called "Tods Valey". the deer got fed all spring, then in the winter when all the rich folk went back to sacremento ahead of the snow we got to sit around and watch all the deer starve. It was then they would come out of everywhere. A weekend diddnt go by without deer and cars meeting. And here, we had a fatality where a guy in a race car hit one going over 100 MPH. Sadly he died. I love watching deer, but man they can be a PITA.

#23 ·
I hate the long legged rats myself. Now if they would just stay on your property I might like them, but they don't. And here they are still giving birth to twins. So the numbers are growing rapidly in competition with hogs I guess.

Reactions: Porky
#25 ·
Hogs are gross. It sounds awful, but when I can I shoot them in the same manner I smash roaches. When I lived over towards Beaumont, I was practicing my old man moves buy making a garden. Me and my kid. so just when it starts getting good, we head out one morning and found we had been raided. That's when my neighbor showed me his AR with a binary trigger installed. Basically a 100 percent legal bullet hose. I hate hogs.

#24 ·
Today was a busy day for deer, I was behind a semi truck that hit one, it bounced off the bumper and onto the side of the road and a few miles later I saw 2 others standing on the side of the highway looking stupidly at traffic. I don't understand why they have to hang out right there, there is plenty of perfedtly good grass and woods away from 80 mph traffic...stupid animals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.