Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have my mirrors set so the right one focuses more to the back of me than to the immediate right, while the left on focuses on the left lane next to me for multi-lane riding.

This seems to work well as I am a conservative rider and can move to see things to my right when there is a lane there.

So how do you setup your mirrors?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
About the same, but I don't move around to see in the mirror, I just turn my head and look.

You can turn the mirror arm forward then readjust the mirrors and it will give you a better view.

Some slightly wide angle mirrors are great, the only ones I've seen are bar end mirrors.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
my two cents ... your mirrors should each cover the lane immediately on each side.

lane changing works in BOTH directions.
your mirrors need to cover a lane change ... to the left or the right.

it's absolutely important that you look over your shoulder and check before you make that lane change. WHY? because your mirrors will never catch all drivers. the kind of driver who hops across multiple lanes, and then zooms past you, may not be seen with mirrors. so you have to look.

a few years ago I came pretty close .. .was gonna make a lane change to my RIGHT - to the slow lane. But a car passed me on the right - doing 90 mph. I never saw him in my mirrors, and I was looking at them. I just got lucky and made the move very slowyly - and became aware he was shooting by. He coudl have taken me down. THATS when I realized two things: (1) Lane changes to the right are just as important, (2) You GOTTA turn your head always - and never assume the way is clear just because your mirrors said it was OK.

good luck,
dT

·
A legend in his own mind
2,599 Posts
I'm happy if I can see behind me, I can adjust my mirrors out away from my arms but then only see the other lanes. If I adjust them to see behind me then at least half of the view is my arms.
Obviously I need longer stalks for my mirrors, problem I have is finding them with large mirrors I like. But personally I prefer to see behind me in them, I want to see what's happening back there. That idiot not paying attention that might run me down is my concern with mirrors. I'm going to turn my head before changing lanes to see beside me anyway.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I have right and left set pretty much the same.
I like to be able to see directly behind by glancing at either mirror as well as the adjoining lane. My arms get in the way a little on my current bike.
Before I make any lane change, my head always rotates to that side first.
I do not rely on the mirror.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Currently I have my mirrors set so the right one focuses more to the back of me than to the immediate right, while the left on focuses on the left lane next to me for multi-lane riding.

This seems to work well as I am a conservative rider and can move to see things to my right when there is a lane there.

So how do you setup your mirrors?
My mirrors have a click stop every few degrees so I can't get them exactly where I want them. Both mirrors are set up to show me the lane directly behind me but the right one is set to show me more of the lane to my right than the left one shows me to the left. I figure that I usually ride in the right lane so when I am not there I want a good view because I will shortly be returning there. On either side I must do a head check before moving because the mirrors still leave me a blind spot on both sides. I don't want to start moving over and suddenly see a car in a mirror that I didn't already know about.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
What's behind me issa notta important...

This seems to work well as I am a conservative rider and can move to see things to my right
I'm a liberal rider. I avoid moving to the right at all costs. I like to BELIEVE my view forward AND backwards is centered, "fair and balanced," however conservatives have told me it is not so.

To actually answer your question, my left mirror is aimed to spot cars I MIGHT NOT HEAR coming up on my left (through traditional "blind spot") and my right mirror to see further directly behind me.

Like when I'm in the left lane...."moving along," so to speak.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have both mirrors positioned so I see the slightest bit of my elbow in the inside edge of each mirror - I feel I have some sort of calibration as to what I'm seeing if I can also see my elbow. That means I'm looking back down the lanes to my left and right.

However, I also have a small circular convex mirror (about 25 mm/1" in diameter) positioned in the top outside corner of each mirror and this gives me a greater view of whatever is just behind me and alongside me.

But I always turn my head and look when changing lanes too, whether going into a slower or faster lane. There's a huge blind spot out there alongside and slightly behind you, big enough to hide a large car.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that the head turn is a must. A couple of times I have not turned my head and each time I came close to having a problem.:frown:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
good discussion on this thread.

and it looks like we've all learned the same lesson the hard way - those mirrors don't tell the whole truth and they cant be relied on. they are useful, but they don't beat a turned head :)

I have a Gremlin bell on my bike - it hangs from my right mirror (stem). that reminds me to be looking just as hard, and cranking my neck, on those lane changes to the right side :)

dT

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
..........It's absolutely important that you look over your shoulder and check before you make that lane change. WHY? because your mirrors will never catch all drivers.
Very good advice! Your mirrors are a help, but you MUST turn and look (unless you like being dead, that is!).

As for "Mirror" position..........I have them both pointing "just to the outer edge of my arm" on both sides, (left/right setting) and "just above my shoulder" (up/down).

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,501 Posts
I have my mirrors adjusted to see the lanes right and left of me. If someone is directly behind me they are in a blind spot. But if they start around either left or right I spot them. This is different than my 85 Electra Glide. The mirrors there were on the handle bars by clutch and brake and stuck out farther so I could actually see someone right behind me. The 07 has the mirrors on the fairing and much closer in. There is still nothing that works better than moving the head though. Someone can be right next to you before you know it. Especially another motorcyclist.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'm a liberal rider. I avoid moving to the right at all costs. I like to BELIEVE my view forward AND backwards is centered, "fair and balanced," however conservatives have told me it is not so.
Wade, what can I tell you? I try to never move left unless I am forced to do so. I vastly prefer to stay firmly in the middle, around what liberals might call a nazi point of view. I think that every action by an individual should reflect back on that individual completely. I am responsible for every one of my actions and take no shelter from any outside organizations. If I am having any trouble with the law, it is my problem, not the problem of the liberal press or the ACLU. Stay the heck out of my business and we will get along just fine. I am a true centrist in my attitudes. I ask nothing from liberals or extreme conservatives. I am simply me and I accept full responsibility for all of my actions. Do you do the same?

·
Registered
535 Posts
In my left mirror I see what's behind me in the lane left of me, same for right. When I move my upper arm a little, I can see the edge of a car behind me. But generally, what's behind me is not so important, because I ride faster than the cars do.

·
American Legion Rider
18,501 Posts
Those are the ones you want to watch out for. They can be next to you before you realize it. REALLY!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I keep mine equal on both sides. I need to see equally well on both sides. I don't ride in the right lane all of the time

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Goliath .. i switched to Kury long stems several years ago. there are pros and cons. you can definitely get a better angle on the traffic behind you. but there is substantially more mirror vibration and so the reflected images are more blurred. there is a possible fix ... buy a unit called The Vibranator that installs in the end of ONE of your handlebars. that reduces the vibes a lot.

otherwise my eyes and brain have got fairly good at recognizing fuzzed-out images from the mirrors. but some time i need to get rid of the handlebar vibes myself :)

dT

1 - 19 of 19 Posts