Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
A set of metric wrenches(lmao!) a points file, a digital multimeter, a rope, 4different sized screw drivers, pliers, knife, a set of allen wrenches, flashlight, fuses, fluids(oil and drinking water), lightbulbs, matches, electrical tape, wire, string, bandaids, cellphone, tire patch/inflator fix. and a really nice repair manual on SD card or CD for your laptop or smartphone.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
A set of metric wrenches(lmao!) a points file, a digital multimeter, a rope, 4different sized screw drivers, pliers, knife, a set of allen wrenches, flashlight, fuses, fluids(oil and drinking water), lightbulbs, matches, electrical tape, wire, string, bandaids, cellphone, tire patch/inflator fix. and a really nice repair manual on SD card or CD for your laptop or smartphone.
you forgot the duct tape!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I really meant the points file....
that is the only tool I have, and the only tool that I have ever found, that can clean dirty contacts. really if you can find one, get it.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Some of you must pull the tool box behind the bike. Might as well tow the pickup too!

I ride naked so I don't have any room for tools.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Some of you must pull the tool box behind the bike. Might as well tow the pickup too!

I ride naked so I don't have any room for tools.
I dont quite ride this stripped down, other than the given tool kit, duct tape and zip ties.
The key to trouble free riding is maintenance, maintenance and maintenance. Fix it before it becomes a problem.:biggrin:

·
Registered
26 Posts
According to Wikipedia (who cited The Motor Cycle's August 1914 edition) dispatch riders for the UK in the Great War had to carry:

• One valve complete with spring, washer and cotter
  • One sparking plug
  • One piston ring
  • A tyre repair outfit including spares for valve
  • A spare tube
  • A spare belt and fastener (if belt driven)
  • Spare link and a spare chain if chain-driven
  • Complete set of spares for the magneto
  • Selection of nuts and washers
  • Two valve cap washers (if used on machine)
  • Complete set of tools
  • Two gaiters for tyre repairs
  • A spare 'cover' to be carried by signal units for each machine (a tyre)
I always wondered why early bikes had those toolboxes on the back. :p

I have an adjustable wrench, socket set, screwdriver, and a feeler gauge leaf that broke off from my feeler set that is for valve clearance all packed into my CB100's little tool box.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Or a roll of duct tape, a jug of gas, a bottle of water and a couple pen knives.

Oh... and some snacks or meals or coupons(ie. money or barter) for them

kind of depends on where your going, and what you are riding heh!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Depending on the bike, a spark plug wrench (which is in my factor kit).
All I added to the provided kit was allen wrenches. I need to add the zip ties and electrical tape.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Metric crescent wrench? Think about that one for a second...
Think as long as you need to....

Here's a 300mm metric crescent

and here's a 10" SAE crescent...

Let me guess, you've been using the wrong one, eh?

Now that I've schooled you, next time she tells you to "Whip out your big 10", you'll be ready, right?

As for my tool roll: The ability to fix a tire in the dark is #1... (red box is mini-compressor)

No! Not THAT red box...this one!

·
Registered
39 Posts
cell phone, water, a blanket, leatherman, allen wrenches, zip ties, duck tape, (ya just never know), crescent (cause I got no grip) :) a small phillips head screwdriver or punch, my boots and my jacket.

lol on the sledgehammer too, they are a pain to carry.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have to say no. To disparaging the Duck tape btw.
Once a broken spring on the kick stand kept stalling out my Harley. Ducked it till the parts store.
Another time a bracket on the pipes of a Vulcan was held together with wire and duck tape till we got home. it may be just a 'temporary bandage' but when you've got 100 miles to home it can mean getting there today. :)

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
Cell phone and AMA roadside assistance:wink:

I do carry some stuff.
Zipties, electrical tape, leatherman, Cruztool Outback'r, small crescent wrench, a few screwdrivers and spare fuzes.

The only thing I have needed was the electrical tape. Had to MacGyver a fix for a broken clutch cable.
Otherwise, I have only used the other tools to help other riders.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Credit card, cellphone and an AAA RV/MC insurance card. Everything else is optional.

Although a tightly folded up 55 gallon Hefty trash bag makes a damn nice rain poncho, and is ALSO useful for covering up dead accident victims.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts