Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what tools do bikers carry with them on the road, things you can't be without. How do you carry them on your bike. Looking to put together a kit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, I mean tools you carry in your bike, not necessarily tools you ahve in a shop or garage to repair your bike. things just to get by on the road.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've been able to strip my bike down on the side of the road with just the factory tool kit that it came with plus a leatherman style multi tool. Add a flashlight, zip-ties, and a few spare bulbs and that is all I carry.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the 6way screwdriver ,small slip joint pliers, 6-inch adjustable, the 4 allens used on my bike, a 1/4rat**** with a 3inch ext and a 10,12,13mm socket. Bike jumper cables, a tiny flashlite,4 zip ties,1/4 roll ele. tape. And yes, i pull over and help,,even cars. I been stranded,help by strangers,and left in the rain. Pay it forward..

·
HellBilly
243 Posts
A multi-bit ratcheting screwdriver, a set of Wrenches common to my bike, a set of sockets, flashlight, knife, allen keys, tire pressure gauge. mini-roll of duct tape, lighter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just started to ride street bikes this last month, so thanks for some ideas. I do have a small vice grip a 8 inch cresent wrench a 6 way screwdriver and a grease rag and a rag to clean off the bike and me.:biggrin:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a tool kit specific for BMW bikes. It has everything I need to take anything and everything apart. Also cary some zip ties and electrical tape, you just never know. I have the luxury of hard side bags and top case, so carrying it is never an issue, though its rolled up and packs pretty small.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a tool kit specific for BMW bikes.
Did it come with a big wad of cash?
HAHA Just kidding, seriously though, where I live, beamer bikes are EXPENSIVE, I can't imagine what it costs when you have to start replacing parts on one.

As for me, I always bring at least the provided tool kit, 1/4 in ratchet and some sockets. Kinda depends on where I'm going though. If I'm crusing around town I don't worry too much, I can always call a friend for some help if something goes wrong. On the other hand, if I'm going to be doing some country riding, I bring whatever I can carry with. Still, when you get stranded, your always going to need the one tool you didn't bring. Murphy's Law.:icon_mad:

·
2,827 Posts
A fully charged cell phone should be the #1 tool.

Having a large network of true friends is #2. You know, the kind you can call up at 2am, say your stuck 200 miles away, and will get dressed to go help you out. I have been on both sides of that equation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I keep a cresent wrench, 6-way screwdriver bungee cords and electrical tape, and a multipliers, so far haven't really needed anything more

·
Registered
21 Posts
i was about to make a thread about this exact thing and then saw this one so thanks guys, also i think #1 tool should be tripleA :)

·
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
501 Posts
A fully charged cell phone should be the #1 tool.

Having a large network of true friends is #2. You know, the kind you can call up at 2am, say your stuck 200 miles away, and will get dressed to go help you out. I have been on both sides of that equation.
Agreed. #2 tool should be an attractive chick on the back of the bike. That way you know the guy with a pickup full of tools will stop to see if you need anything.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts