Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a newbie question, but i own a car and i have a understanding of how many miles on a car deem it to be "old" or "used heavily"
For example 100k mark, 200k mark

Do miles run the same on motorcycles?
For example is 10k or 20k miles a lot?

I'm shopping around for my first bike and have not seen many bikes past 20k miles.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
I've had bikes with around 80,000 miles on them, and they still ran great.
It's all about maintenance, and lubes u use.
I have 33,000 miles now on a 2012 Ninja 650, and....(Bought New)..
I plan to get 100,000 miles from it.
I don't run the crap out of my stuff.....
But i do use them n add up miles....

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
It all depends on what kind of bike, what it was designed to do, how it was ridden and kept, and most importantly how it was maintained. Routine maintenance is much more critical on a bike.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
Daytona......
U lucky son of a gun u....
I lived in Florida 7 years, but now up here in Winter wonderland...Maine..
Been trying to get the wife to go back to Cocoa now 14 years....
I loved Florida.....
So much to do outdoors....
Great fishing n hunting, etc....
NNnnnn.....No dang Snow.....

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
Smaller bikes last shorter times than do larger engines, assuming both are well maintained. Air-cooled engines run hotter, and last a shorter time than water-cooled engines, again, assuming they are well maintained. Engines with oil-coolers are in between air- and water-cooled, for longevity.

My 1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII (1200 cc, water-cooled), is known to reach 300k miles, if well maintained, and ridden without being beaten/abused. It all depends on maintenance, and how they are ridden. My 1979 Honda CB750 was known to go 70k miles before needing major work. I added an oil cooler, which should have doubled the engine's life. And that was a 1979 bike! My Voyager will outlive me, barring accidents, as I average 5k miles per season, and its clock reads 60k, currently... Hope that gives you an idea of what you can expect. Cheers!

:coffee:

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Daytona......
U lucky son of a gun u....
I lived in Florida 7 years, but now up here in Winter wonderland...Maine..
Been trying to get the wife to go back to Cocoa now 14 years....
I loved Florida.....
So much to do outdoors....
Great fishing n hunting, etc....
NNnnnn.....No dang Snow.....
That's why I'm here. I grew up cold, wet, and hungry and have been getting as far away from that as I can. :biggrin:

Cocoa is nice! C'mon back. They still have some room left.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Mileage on any vehicle should be averaged over years, 10,000 to 20,0000 miles a year on a car is considered average. Bikes are more considered toys or recreational vehicles, 10,000 to 20,000 miles a year is considered a lot. the better question would be are the average miles consistent over the years or has it been sitting for a year or more without being ridden, that might indicate a mechanical problem that needs to be fixed.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Mileage doesn't mean much, when you have evidence of good maintenance (both in performance as well as written records).

-soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,575 Posts
Mileage doesn't mean much, when you have evidence of good maintenance (both in performance as well as written records).

-soupy
You can go by that either soupy all the time. I had a bike that was maintained exclusively by it's dealer when every service was required. Not a bit late on anything. I wouldn't sell it to anyone. It was a royal pain with extra repairs required. It truly is dependent on the bike. Would have been real easy for me to not disclose those extra repairs and I then had good records to show it was kept perfect.

BTW...I sold it back to the dealer with a welded wheel bearing/axle/frame. After 10 years it still sat in their storage room. Someday someone will get what they think is a prize but it wouldn't have come from me.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
There is a common belief that smaller bikes will not last as long as bigger bikes, but l am not fully convinced of that. I think the more likely truth is that smaller bikes are usually owned by new riders who do not have a lot of knowledge and/or experience with owning a bike and, therefore, maintaining it. A guy gets his first bike with the intention of learning how to ride so he can move up to the big beautiful machine he REALLY wants. The last thing on his mind is routine maintenance. By the time he gets to that point he will be buying his new bike and selling this one on Craigslist. Drop a couple hundred bucks off the price and let the next guy worry about it. Not to mention the abuse the bike gets just because the new rider doesn't really know how to ride yet. Clutches get hammered hard, it gets dropped a time or two...two or three people own it for a few years apiece and it is essentially a 10 year old parts bike. I'm not saying everyone treats them this way, but l think it does happen quite a bit.

·
American Legion Rider
18,575 Posts
You are forgetting that smaller bikes, once the riders get experience, at some point begin to run them wide open all the time. You really think that doesn't take a toll on the smaller engine and bike hawk?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts