Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever put aftermarket handle bars on a 98' Honda Shadow 1100? I customized a set of z-bars for a friends 87 vt1100 because they weren't uniform diameter at the controls and risers. Im looking to put a set of baby apes, maybe 12 inches on my A.C.E. any thoughts?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I can't see where it would be any problem. You would more than likely have to change the clutch and throttle cables but a bike that old probably could use new ones anyway.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Probably have to splice some extensions to the wiring harness too.
Ya know Eye......That made me remember.......way back in the dark ages....oh around 1974-1975 when I wasn't on Post, I was hanging around a bike shop
( Reb's Cycle Shop!! In S.C.) that was operated by a Rotary Winged Aircraft Maintenance guy
( MSGT), I think) who was almost ready to retire and didnt worry about too much..he was only open ..on weekends when he was off duty. Believe it or not....the guy always stayed super busy! I was kinda like his Apprentice / "Helper":icon_cool:
I remember changing the bars on my new Harley at the time at his shop and this guy helped me 'cause I was a very young Newby at the time, and frankly glad he did! he taught me several neat tricks about extending the wires ( harness) which I am sure you use anyway, but he was really good at soldering, and he taught me that you never cut and splice at the same point in harness, he spaced the cuts and splices out.. otherwise you end up with a bulky mess, He had a neat way of applying Flux, then actually twisting the wires or "weaving" them together so they looked like they were meant to be that way? Then he soldered them....and he used some type of ( Excess Military ,I am sure :biggrin::biggrin: ) Sleeve or heat shrink , by the time he finished , it Looked factory:71baldboy:. That pretty much how you do it too?
Or is there an even better way nowadays??
Ed

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
That's pretty much it, Ed. Space out the splices so you don't have a big clump, wrap each one and solder, then heat shrink them individually and put it all in a larger heat shrink tube or a wiring conduit. (They call it a "NASA" splice around here, I guess because the Space Center is right down the road.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts