Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the forum. I've seen motorcycles parking between parked cars at parking meters. I've seen motorcycles parked at the end of streets where cars cannot fit. If there are no specific parking for bikers, do we have to pay at parking meters? It's getting close to riding season and I am tired of paying $250 a month parking in a garage here in Washington, D.C.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Parking

What is a parking meter?
It will depend on the city your are in. They all make their own rules.
In Taurangu NZ, the meter maids put money in the meter, if you are downtown.
In Olympia WA, if you are obviously from out of town, they might give you a welcome to Olympia card.
In Victoria BC if you park in the triangle spots of a parking lot controlled by Robbins, they will not ticket you. If you do that in an area controlled by the city, they will. I can show you mine.
We do not have any parking meters, or traffic lights, on my Island.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
I've seen some bikers leave their bikes on sidewalks and some other sort of "you shouldn't really park there" kinda spots.

It's made me wonder what a biker really CAN get away with.

That said, it sounds to me like the bikes you've seen, are (obviously) breaking the rules; but it also makes me wonder if there ought not to be some sort of consideration given, (by town parking ordinance or something) to the lesser amount of space requirement that bikes, by their very nature, need.

Should a town have special "motorcycle/motorscooter" parking areas? (for example). Is this something worth presenting at the next Town Hall Meeting, when they open the floor to "New Business?"

Paying $250.00 a month sounds like it COULD be a strain on the budget, but what are you getting for that money? Is the value worth the cost?

I think of a fellow rider where I work, who doesn't have a garage, who during Winter, has to rent a space in one of those very typical Storage Facilities that seem to be cropping up all over the place. He rented a space that he has to do some fancy "back-n-forth" maneuvers, to get his bike into. Could he have bought a bigger space? I suppose.

Folks are going to bend the rules in life......that just IS "life." What they pay for doing that (in potential damage and fines) is the thing you have to ask yourself about. Are you willing to assume the cost? The risk?

-Soupy

·
Registered
886 Posts
I do understand your problem Jahuth, I used to work for a plumbing company that did work all around the Md./Va./DC area. DC was the one city that had nonexistent parking places. For a "planned" city the planning didn't account for being able to park unless it is far away from where you need to be and very expensive to boot. Apparently the plan was for the majority to use public transportation but a lot of the people that work there come from the surrounding areas where everyone drives to get around. The only solution I hate to say is riding to someplace just outside the city and use the bus or Metro system to get around if your job doesn't require you to carry too much with you. The only problem then is leaving a nice bike in a parking lot that could be a smorgasbord for thieves.

·
Registered
943 Posts
The nearby city here (Winnipeg) is so anal about ticketing anything and everything they can think of - if in doubt, write a ticket! - I wouldn't dare park without plugging the meter unless it is on private property!

·
Nightfly
3,717 Posts
Capital city Harrisburg has just installed new "smart meters." Enforcement will be 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. 6 days a week. Standard rate of $3 per hour, payable in 15 minute increments. All payments can be made only with a smart card, no cash. There are no provisions for motorcycle parking although a few clubs on the main street where the night clubs are located will sometimes allow a few bikes to park in front of their business, but they only have space for a few special riders. The meter maids are like vultures, the city needs every dime it can get its miserable paws on.

It's a dangerous place to be, I have seen gangs of teens going around and kicking bikes over just for the fun of it. Crime is on the upswing and that is not good news for the night club scene.

·
Registered
215 Posts
In Seattle you don't even need to go there to get tickets. I got a letter saying I owed a bunch for many parking tickets because they hadn't updated there records and were using a license plate # that no longer was mine.
They were really a-holes about it and after finally realizing the plate now belonged to someone else the guy says well let me check your records, I hung up the phone.

·
Left. No, the other left.
209 Posts
NYC has dedicated motorcycle parking in a few areas. For the rest, if you park creatively, you get a ticket or not depending on the mood of the meter reader.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
there's nothing like parking tickets to bring out the "Nazi mentality" in city authorities. talk about a little power going to peoples' heads!

it makes a lot of sense to cut some slack to motorcycles. that way the full-size parking spots CAN be used by cars. but in practice, it depends a lot on wherther they cut you some slack. New York City - Wow that one is a challenge.

Look around, Jahuth, and see what you can find. maybe there's some free spot that you can ..

I have often parked my bike in parking garages, in those small corner spots where there isn't enough room for a car. nobody has given me a hard time about that. I think most drivers are just glad that I didn't take a regular place.

dT

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
These accounts make me appreciate small rural towns all the more... NO parking meters. My hometown used to have them but took them all out.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Question for the forum. I've seen motorcycles parking between parked cars at parking meters. I've seen motorcycles parked at the end of streets where cars cannot fit. If there are no specific parking for bikers, do we have to pay at parking meters? It's getting close to riding season and I am tired of paying $250 a month parking in a garage here in Washington, D.C.
The law varies completely city to city. Here in Montreal, you can legally share a parking space with a car or bikes at a meter as long as the meter is fed and you are within the line markings of the space. Thing is, if buddy takes off and the meter expires, you're up for a nice little fine from the city. Parking spots are for vehicles - be it a car or a bike.

" If there are no specific parking for bikers, do we have to pay at parking meters?"

There is no specific parking for cars either, they are for motor vehicles that fit within the markings. Bike, Trike, Canam, truck, car, van whatever...

Dab

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Parking

When I go to the village up Island, I park in spots where a car can not park. Often I will have a granny type thank me for being considerate. Most of the bike and scooter riders do this.
In White Rock BC, there are smaller spots for bikes, with the same hourly fee. So a bike rider can rightly park in a car spot. A wide side walk would make for good parking spots, but the footsies would complain. In Victoria the bicycles park on the side walk, where there are lots of racks for them. The bicycle police do it too. But they also ride on the side walk, as do many bicycle riders.
All are supposed to follow the road code.
The lack of motorcycle spots tends to make a mockery of any cities clean environment efforts. My monthly parking in Victoria BC was $50- in a car park, using any spot not marked for cars.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies. Just seems like a waste of money during riding season. My plan is to pay the monthly fee during the winter months and park on the street during riding season. I haven't given up my space in the garage yet, but I think I will starting in May. It's not a strain but that $1,000 for four months of parking can be used for other things. That could be used for some new riding gear and bike upkeep.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I grew up in NY. I cant imagine what a monthly parking fee is up their. They park scooters on the sidwalks down here all the time.(and you dont even have to take off the plates)

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
We got a ticket for parking three motorcycles in one car sized parking spot. Even though we payed the parking meter.:mad: They had a little metal box with a slot for parking fines. Since I rode the area regularly, I payed mine, the others did not, and chose to never return. :rolleyes:

·
On The Road Again!
2,654 Posts
We got a ticket for parking three motorcycles in one car sized parking spot. Even though we payed the parking meter.:mad: They had a little metal box with a slot for parking fines. Since I rode the area regularly, I payed mine, the others did not, and chose to never return. :rolleyes:
There is a little touristy type town just across the river in Pennsylvania called New Hope. Lots of little shops selling artsy fartsy stuff to the tourists. From what I've read, there was a showdown over there a few years back. They decided to start ticketing bikes that parked more than one to a parking space.
Sooo........
All the bike clubs in the area got together and declared war. Lots and LOTS of bikes would arrive in town early on weekend mornings and occupy all the parking spaces in town....one per space. Then the bikers just spent their time walking around but not buying anything. And now there was nowhere for the auto tourists to park. It didn't take long for all the business owners to start screaming bloody murder and bikes were quickly allowed to park several to a parking space again.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Olympia

Nope, they'll write you a ticket faster than you can blink. They've gone to electronic central parking meter machines too mixed with stand alone machines.
Just not like the old days.
Well, I will just ride right on by, on my way to Shelton.
Maybe I was in Tacoma.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 20 of 25 Posts