Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a cheap chinese digital multimeter I got at the HF store.
I have had fairly good luck with it, but I would really like to get one that either speaks english or flys a speeder.

I am worried that it is failing me, and I am beginning not to trust my own work.... I do know how to use one, and I am a crack mechanic. What would you do about this cheap thing that jumps all over the place?

·
Registered
26 Posts
First off, what are you measuring? My cheap HF multimeter works fine. You could be experiencing induction if you're trying to measure the resistance of a stator.

Resistance is the most stable measurement you'll get out of all the electronic measurements possible.

Voltage will fluctuate while the bike is on depending on where you're measuring. (It doesn't FLUCTUATE exactly, it's that different components have different voltage drops. In the end it all adds up to the input voltage from the battery.)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
meter reader

I think I remember that when your meter starts to fail, you should replace the batteries in it rahter than throw it at a chunk of iron across the shop right?

So if your battery is connected when you change the rectifier-regulator, and in hooking it up you ground out the red wire to the frame, would that ruin the regulator part of the rectifier? The main fuse blew, you would think that would save it, but you can't tell with oriental bikes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts