Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pilot air screws have frozen solid on my 650 V-star. I suspect that the O rings didn't like corn gas and swelled. I've managed to booger the screw heads, even an impact driver won't budge them. Fortunately the adjustment is fairly close. I got a tank of bad gas that is leaving a gummy deposit behind and I suspect that also has tied up the screws. I can't afford new carbs, I'd be happy to find a set of rebuildable cores.

Any help is appreciated.

Ops

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Impact driver on a pilot air screw?

That's like using a shotgun on an ant.

Hopefully we're just not using the same terms and are having some commo problems here.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the tap it with a hammer impact driver, not a rattlegun. I have an old Chicago Pneumatic that would have flipped the bike over if the screw caught.
I do have a few limits..

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
The carb screws are hard to get out if you use a Phillip's head screwdriver, they are a JIS head and that is what is in the original tool kit. A good chance now that you will have to remove the carb to get them out. You will probably need to use a dremel and cut a slot in them to get a regular screwdriver in to get them to turn out. Then it will mean a trip to the dealer for replacement parts.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
L2P, tried that too. I've never seen screws locked up like this. I've considered heat, but heat and carb don't belong in the same paragraph. I was hoping someone had a quick trick to get them out. Maybe I can drill down just past the O ring and try an EZ out...

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I've done that with idle screws before - but mine were brass. Not sure what your pilot screws are made of. Also, if you break the EZ out off you're really in trouble..

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking drill and easy out.

Let me know if you want to bring the carburetor by the house this week. We can put our heads together to see if we can come up with a way to destroy it together. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts