Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's still not clear how to effectively use a horn while riding, since for me at least, I can't get to it until after an alarming situation has passed. Clutiching/breaking/accelerating/swerving all come first, and by the time danger has been avoided it's too late to honk. While on the freeway I'll sometimes ride with thumb on horn in case someone starts moving into my lane, but that's about the only situation where I'm horn-ready. Ideally it would be great if some throttle manipulation could honk the horn. Maybe an extra hard squeeze. Or perhaps something related to squeezing on the tank with your knees. Just something that allows it to be deployed when it still can make a difference.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I can't hardly hear the horn on my Yamaha when I'm sitting on it and its idling. First time I tried the horn on my Harley, it startled me!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Way back in the late '70 an American car manufacturer invented a horn button that went around the inside rim of the steering wheel. Sounded like a good idea. You wouldn't have to move your hands to honk. I don't why it never caught on. For bikes, I like your idea about your gas tank having a devise to honk the horn. That sounds better than a sphincter pressure indicator to honk the horn. And the hassle of wiring yourself up.:surprise:

·
On The Road Again!
4,204 Posts
The secret is....
Get rid of that damned little "beep beep" horn that they put on most bikes and install a LOUD HORN!
My Goldwing has a pair electric horns that sound like a big car, AND a damned loud air horn!
When I hit the horn, all three blow and they DO pay attention!
How to use.....
When I see anything up ahead, such as someone at an intersection, or pulling out of a driveway, my left thumb is immediately covering the horn button. That way I don't have to feel for the button if something DOES happen!
Quite often I'll give a quick toot as I approach them just to be sure they see me.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Like OC said...get a real horn. Bike horns are and always have been useless. Especially these days with the 'sound proof' cages.

Or you can do like I do......work around it. Why use something that nobody can hear?

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
A horn is a situational device. By that I mean that sometimes it can be used effectively to alert a driver of your presents. But other times there are more pressing needs like avoiding some yoyo. I think I've used mine twice on my current bike and not at all on the previous 2. But both times I used the darn thing it was an after thought anyway. I'd rather use my throttle than the horn. Getting away from a bad situation seems like a better choice to me. I did change all the horns to louder ones. That was a just in case kind of thing.

Reactions: ketchboy

·
Registered
607 Posts
I make 2 modifications right away on any bike I buy. One, I add an SAE standard pigtail to the battery, which is convenient for using a trickle charger or an auxiliary power port; and two, I dump the stock horn and put on a Freeway Blaster horn -- inexpensive, easy to install, and makes your bike sound more like a Buick than a kiddie's pedal car.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I used my horn once to prevent a disaster.

I was leaving the liquor store and waiting for some guy in a Toyota to clear the exit. Suddenly and without warning, he started backing up. Slowly and inexorably, the rear bumper of the tiny sedan bore down on me. Then, I beeped the horn, he stopped, crisis averted.

In India, motorcyclists use their horns with meaning and nuance. Sometimes it means "Coming through!", other times "Hello", or "Go ahead", it's all in how you press the button. It's a fact that the owner's manual for my Royal Enfield says in the section entitled Rules of the Road to, "Always sound your horn, .... when passing other vehicles going in the same direction."

I haven't taken that advice. Here in Chicago, honking at people as I pass seems like a good way to get shot.

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
In some key moments, I use the horn when it is worthwhile. Otherwise, I don’t rely on it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Don't have much to add to what has already been said except I think I've done/tried all of the above!

Many situations where the horn might be helpful seem to happen too quickly to give it a thought. There have been times where, when I have given it a thought, I've hit my starter button or the turn signal cancellation button by mistake. Hilarious! :smile_big:

When has it been useful? At stoplights when someone (or everyone) has their head down for techno-prayers... or when traffic is close. I've been able to ward off one or two lane wanderers with a hit of the aftermarket highway blaster.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
This comes back to riding like the Oldsmobuicks are trying to kill you. I cant remember ever using my horn to avoid an accident. My full attention is spent spotting potential threats and avoiding them. I liken honking a horn on a motorcycle to a bug buzzing louder before it gets squashed by a windshield. The bugs energy might have been better spent not wandering into the windshield's path instead. JMO.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Even if they hear the horn they might not respond as you'd prefer.
The horn signals DANGER! and they might respond by stomping on the brakes right in front of you while they look elsewhere for the honker,
or they might suddenly get out of the passing lane and into yours,
or they might stomp on the gas thinking that the horn means hurry up.

To me, a horn means HURRY UP but more often gets used by someone as an auditory raised finger.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
By the time I remember to use the horn, I've already passed the situation where I should have used the horn.

Sorry about the "can't hardly", done it without thinking about what I was doing. On the other hand, I probably do it a lot more often than I even know. :)

English class was nap time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
When I need my horn to avoid an accident I'm more focused on swerving, braking or speeding up. Sometimes I'll honk after. But I use my horn a lot to get people off their phones. They always hear my Fiamm Freeway Blaster low-tone behind them.

·
Registered
473 Posts
After getting swamped in a rain storm with cars splashing tidal waves on my car, my horn sounded like it was gargling. I put on a WOLO and the thing in plenty loud. I do a lot of driving in stop and go traffic so when someone moves from one lane to mine without looking, I can't accelerate out of danger. The WOLO is a good wake-up call.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts