Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys well i'm new to this forum so i thought i would tell you about me and my bike life together. My father bought a brand new 1975 honda cb 750 k5 he road it often with my mother back before they had me and my older brother. Once they had kids it kinda fell to the back burner the last time he ever road it was when i was five he took me for a ride and i was hooked to that bike loved it nothing else compared to it in my eyes. Well she sat for about 20 years in my parents garage wasting away and it was driving me nuts id spend whatever money i had to spare buying bits and pieces that i new it would need to run again. My dad wanted to help because he wanted to ride again but he was also trying to restore his 1980 z/28 camaro so the bike wasn't in the buget at the time. Then he was struck with colon cancer and i was left to finish the restoration of his car that my older brother loved but had no time to help me so i did it for him and my dad while i watched the bike i loved sit and fall in deeper need of restoration. Towards the end of my dads life my mother had a talk to my father and i knew nothing about this till after he died last year that my mom was unhappy with the fact that my brother got a fully restored car and i was left with the poor honda that was looking well a little tired and needed lots of tlc. So the last 2 months of his life he sat me down and said to me son if i'm still here this winter me and you will restore the bike together just like we did your honda moped when i was 12 years old. Sad to say he died september 4, 2013 less than a month away from his 60th birthday but he left one last surprise for me a large chunk of money just to restore his bike and apology that we never got the chance to do it together. So about 2 months after his death the restoration began but me and my dad never realized the price of the restoration would cost so much the parts alone cost what my dad left so much of the restoration i did myself due to cost of labor. Just about a year later i have her 99% complete with tons of money and time invested i know the bike will probably never be worth what was put back in her but to me she was worth every penny, busted knuckle, and lost time with my wife and daughter. Without the support of my family i don't think i ever would of been able to bring her back to life and the first thing i did with her when i took her for the first ride in over 20 years was take to my dads grave site and said well dad we did it. So that's the life of me and my honda together and our story, i have riding most of my life just loved riding bikes always have and always will.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You may never be able to get the money back that you invested into it, thats true. But I'm sure that bike has more sentimental value to you anyways. Things like that, well, they mean more anyways.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Great account of the restoration! That motorcycle if far more valuable than any amount of money! Really would love to see pictures of the restoration!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes that is very true sentimental value is priceless between the bike and our family my mom was in the biggest satisfaction i got when i showedd her the bike when i got her most of the way back together i had never seen my mom smile that big. She was my biggest opponent when i started riding my moped when i was 14 but as soon as the bike was rideable my mom pushed my wife out of the way for a ride i was in shock. but to see my mom smile like that was priceless and she has now apologized for all the grief she gave me when i first started riding the big cc monsters i have owned like the 2 suzuki hyabusa bikes that she hated and said they would kill me but i always told her just because they are fast doesnt mean they are dangerous as long as your smart and safe.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I can relate to that. My uncle who helped me get into bikes likes the bikes less than 500cc's. Personally I like the full liter or bigger bikes. When I bought my first 1100cc bike my parents were furious. They still dont get my love of the bigger bikes, oh well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have learned as time goes by they get better with bikes just have to prove to them that you are smart and safe my mom has even been asking questions when i plan on buying another hyabusa which id love own another one just my back got broke a couple years back and its never been the same which caused me to sell my last hyabusa t it was just to uncomfortable to ride anymore.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I currently have a CBR 1000 and the Vstar 1100 classic, as much as like the CBR, it starts to hurt after an hour or so. I can ride the Vstar all day. Fortunately, I never had any back injuries.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i like the look of the v-stars heard good things about them just not sure im ready to give up my hopes of a sport bike again but if not ill probably go for a v-star or maybe a harley just kinda stuck on what to do for a daily rider my honda id kinda like to keep the miles down on it and have just something to ride to work and and daily stuff ya know.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. What a wonderful, heartfelt story about your dad and your bike. I'm sure he was watching you every inch of the way back to perfection. It's always great to hear of a rescued classic bike. Can't wait to see some pics.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
i like the look of the v-stars heard good things about them just not sure im ready to give up my hopes of a sport bike again but if not ill probably go for a v-star or maybe a harley just kinda stuck on what to do for a daily rider my honda id kinda like to keep the miles down on it and have just something to ride to work and and daily stuff ya know.
Yea the sport bikes are lots of fun.:icon_cool: The right handed grin factor plays an important role!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts