Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I remember that on my VT500c of years ago, I took a 3/4 inch drill and put a hole in the baffles (dead center), thinking that it would improve the sound. I can't say that I was convinced that it did anything at ALL!!

Instead of attempting the same thing on my already pleasing pipe sounds, on this 1998 Honda Shadow ACE, "maybe the answer is" to attempt to remove the baffles?

How much of a job IS that, really? Can I just do a simple dis-assembly of some part of the pipe (after the point at which the two pipes go into one) with a screwdriver and pair of pliers, or is it more involved than that?

I see videos like THIS one, and I wanna try it!!!

-Soupy

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Some exhausts are more tamper-resistant than others. I've always thought de-baffled pipes sounded like crap and caused more engine trouble than it was worth.

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Mufflers

Honda was always good at making power, and keeping quiet. Most who tampered, increased the noise, and reduced the power.
You need an engine of known power, in a variety of conditions, connected to a dyno. Then you can experiment with pipes.
The distance from the exhaust flange to the megaphone was 32 inches around the outside, on Dave Aldana's Norton. Same as mine and the John Player bikes.
The megaphones were all the same after years of trials at the speed shop.

If i switch pipes and mufflers on the Suzuki, it will go back on the dyno. All the previous info is stored, so we will know of any changes.

If it is just sound you are after. Have fun, and mind what Dodsfall said.

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
18,588 Posts
A lot of them end up sounding tinny. And because you lose the back pressure they don't run near as well in some cases. I would not do it unless I could hear ones like yours that someone did what you are considering. Have you ever heard a single one say they sound worse after doing a gut job? People tend not to admit they should have left well enough alone.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I had to rebuild mine, they rusted free and fell off when I tried to take them off....

I took out what I think was one of those flower power inserts that smelled like roses when it got hot, it was rusted on the ends, so I shortened it to 8" and drilled 4 sets of 7 1/8" holes and 4 sets of 6 1/8" holes down the stock, like 7 then 6 then 7 then 6 around opposing sides of the piece. Then I took a center punch, and drove each of the holes inward, about 1/8"-1/4", It made a nice spark arresting noise arresting whistler, I had one prob, the left lined up with the baffle just perfect, but the right one, barely hits the baffle! it sounds yummy on the left, poppy on the right. This exhaust has a silencer tube, that runs between the megaphones, it is leaking something fierce, and I don't even know where to start to fix it, I guess cut it off, lengthen it and then clamp and donut it.

The inside of my megs have a little metal plate that sticks down into the can, which blocks the flow of the exhaust as it exits the headers...in my case... after the fumes are ribboned by my custom baffles.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had to rebuild mine, they rusted free and fell off when I tried to take them off....

I took out what I think was one of those flower power inserts that smelled like roses when it got hot, it was rusted on the ends, so I shortened it to 8" and drilled 4 sets of 7 1/8" holes and 4 sets of 6 1/8" holes down the stock, like 7 then 6 then 7 then 6 around opposing sides of the piece. Then I took a center punch, and drove each of the holes inward, about 1/8"-1/4", It made a nice spark arresting noise arresting whistler, I had one prob, the left lined up with the baffle just perfect, but the right one, barely hits the baffle! it sounds yummy on the left, poppy on the right. This exhaust has a silencer tube, that runs between the megaphones, it is leaking something fierce, and I don't even know where to start to fix it, I guess cut it off, lengthen it and then clamp and donut it.

The inside of my megs have a little metal plate that sticks down into the can, which blocks the flow of the exhaust as it exits the headers...in my case... after the fumes are ribboned by my custom baffles.
That sounds WAY over the top from what I'm thinking. I'll either just order a set of Vance & Hines pipes and a Carb kit (if needed) or just leave it alone. The sound is ALREADY somewhat beefy (Honda tried to cover ALL the bases in it's imitation of HD during the ACE years) and I like it. I just want to see if it's possible in a SIMPLE way to "beef" it up even more, is all.

-soupy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts