Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out that Honda discontinued the Silverwing in 2014.

Unlike the Yamaha T-max, which underwent a major re-fresh in 2012?, the SWing was virtually unchanged since it's inception, with the addition of ABS.

Maxi-scooters are a very unique market.

For starters, I believe a lot of the smaller, scooters, 125cc and below, are viewed both by mfrs and consumers as "disposable." Especially the Chinese ones.

Maxi-scooters TEND to be, as I see it, purchased by older, wealthier folks who TEND to take very good care of them.

As a result, there is a virtual GLUT of used, low-mileage, VERY good condition maxi-scoots.

at anywhere from 1/10 to 1/3 the price of a new one.

I'm not sure if its due to first time riders but a lot of folks drop or put down a maxi-scoot once, and that's it, they're done riding. Maybe it's due to age; realizing very serious injuries don't heal when you're not 18 anymore.

I would hate to be a scooter mfr. The market is simply brutal, with the Chinese skimming the low end of the market, the price for a decent 125-250 cc Yamaha or Honda beyond what many are willing to pay, Vespa taking the yuppies for a ride, and Maxi-scoots sitting unsold on dealer showrooms and available cheap.

Where the heck would you aim if YOU were a mfr?

The best "arrow" I saw was the Vino 125 which offered traditional Italian styling with Japanese reliability, at a fairly reasonable price.

The 155cc S-Max and 150cc PCX are terrific, hi-tech, low-end bikes, the S-Max waay overpriced for that end of the market ($3699 + dealer charges)
The Smax is marginally highway capable; the PCX not so much.

The 650 Burgman Executive of course OWNS the top of the market, especially for consumers with its power windscreen, folding mirrors, cavernous underseat storage, etc. Used, they too are long on the market.

Oh, I suppose it wouldn't be fair if I didn't mention BMW and their overpriced scoots...

Anyone who thinks scooters can't provide sufficient performance needs to ride a Burg650 through some twisties sometime.

Is it strictly the stigma? It's not manly enough if you don't have to swing a leg over?

Personally I think Honda/Yamaha screwed up by not establishing separate scooter dealerships. The simple fact is most MOTORCYCLE guys don't want anything to do with them, including salespeople AND techs.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just found out that Honda discontinued the Silverwing in 2014.

Unlike the Yamaha T-max, which underwent a major re-fresh in 2012?, the SWing was virtually unchanged since it's inception, with the addition of ABS.

Maxi-scooters are a very unique market.

For starters, I believe a lot of the smaller, scooters, 125cc and below, are viewed both by mfrs and consumers as "disposable." Especially the Chinese ones.

Maxi-scooters TEND to be, as I see it, purchased by older, wealthier folks who TEND to take very good care of them.

As a result, there is a virtual GLUT of used, low-mileage, VERY good condition maxi-scoots.

at anywhere from 1/10 to 1/3 the price of a new one.

I'm not sure if its due to first time riders but a lot of folks drop or put down a maxi-scoot once, and that's it, they're done riding. Maybe it's due to age; realizing very serious injuries don't heal when you're not 18 anymore.

I would hate to be a scooter mfr. The market is simply brutal, with the Chinese skimming the low end of the market, the price for a decent 125-250 cc Yamaha or Honda beyond what many are willing to pay, Vespa taking the yuppies for a ride, and Maxi-scoots sitting unsold on dealer showrooms and available cheap.

Where the heck would you aim if YOU were a mfr?

The best "arrow" I saw was the Vino 125 which offered traditional Italian styling with Japanese reliability, at a fairly reasonable price.

The 155cc S-Max and 150cc PCX are terrific, hi-tech, low-end bikes, the S-Max waay overpriced for that end of the market ($3699 + dealer charges)
The Smax is marginally highway capable; the PCX not so much.

The 650 Burgman Executive of course OWNS the top of the market, especially for consumers with its power windscreen, folding mirrors, cavernous underseat storage, etc. Used, they too are long on the market.

Oh, I suppose it wouldn't be fair if I didn't mention BMW and their overpriced scoots...

Anyone who thinks scooters can't provide sufficient performance needs to ride a Burg650 through some twisties sometime.

Is it strictly the stigma? It's not manly enough if you don't have to swing a leg over?

Personally I think Honda/Yamaha screwed up by not establishing separate scooter dealerships. The simple fact is most MOTORCYCLE guys don't want anything to do with them, including salespeople AND techs.
I think a LOT of it is 'stigma' and how it 'looks'. Most people don't think it's 'cool' to ride a scooter like they do a 'Hog'. However, there is a small scooter shop on the main street by the University here, which seems to do a BANG up business. Since the gas mileage on them is pretty phenomenal, it's great for college kids trying to save $. Lots of those kids don't seem to mind getting them and using them on campus, but probably don't take them much OFF campus, I guess.

I knew an older guy who got one of those 650 scooters, and he actually did REALLY well in 'bike games' at a local rally, especially for the 'slow race'. With the Center Of Gravity being so LOW on those things, I can understand that, if you're great with your clutch and brake control.

Me, I just like the 'look', 'power', and 'sound' of a Motorcycle better.

·
8,572 Posts
Actually ride a Maxi-scooter sometime and watch a big smile grow on your face:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The price of a maxi scooter is high compared to a similarly-sized motorcycle. They depreciate a huge amount, so the used market has good pricing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts