Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
What?
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I screwed up my front master cylinder. I stripped the screws holding the lid down. Drilled the heads off since no other method I had thought of could loosen them, my mistake, and used an easy out to get the screws out. Work flawlessly on the first screw, broke off in the second. Went to drill the screw out and as you may know, drilling an easy out it hard as hell. The drill got away from me and I screwed up the MC itself.

Now on to my real problem. Swapped the MC from my 86 Ninja to the KZ and can't get pressure except at the very end of the lever pull. The shop I use suggested that it may not move enough fluid. So I'd thought I just by another one.

I can't find the right one to buy. Everything I've read the dual front setup uses a 5/8th or 16mm but all of the MC's I find for sale are a 14mm bore.

Does anyone know what I could use or should I go with the 14mm that claim will work on my bike. I am sure I need to bleed the hell outta my brakes but after almost a bottle of DOT3 with the Ninja MC I am getting nowhere.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Have you checked fleaBay? I get a lot of vintage parts from there.. seems like there should be at least a few.

It will have to be the correct bore diameter, and handlebar diameter.

·
What?
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
EBay ones are $75 plus shipping used so I would probably want to rebuild it. I may be able to get one from the salvage yard for $45 plus a $40 rebuild kit. Or a new 14mm for $100 that I am told should work.

It just seems that all the ones I see are 14mm and they claim it will work. In fact all universal ones I find are 14mm. It makes me wonder if what I've read is correct. But that is a lot of money to test something.

It is easy to find one that fits a 7/8th bar. It's the bore size I am having issues with.

Was looking at this one, I thought maybe a more modern one would be more powerful. www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-caferacer-cafe-racer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-brake-parts-aluminum-nissin-hydraulic-front-brake-master-cylinder-perch-lever-kit-717-652.html

Then there is this one that looks exactly like mine, and claims to be right. www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BAOIS3Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr1_2?qid=1409106538&sr=8-2-fkmr1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Both however only have the 14mm.

·
What?
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
American Legion Rider
18,518 Posts
Don't complain. Just the lever alone on a Harley is near $100.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts