Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Huh..........????

I know lots of folks have some form of homeopathic solution to almost anything........but.......

Marvel Mystery Oil at every fill up???

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes me think of those folks who were strong proponents of "STP" as well, (yet another additive).

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
The only thing I use it for is removing oxidation on aluminum parts. Works great. Look it up on YouTube. Supposed to be good for the engine but never tried it. Figured it was just more snake oil but many swear by the stuff.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All you'd be doing, in theory, is adding viscosity to the gas, right? Or is it changing the burn characteristics in some way?

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Oh you want to add a oil supplement to the fuel. Enjoy. I have no freaking idea.

·
8,579 Posts
An ounce in a 5 gallon tank won't hurt a thing and it's a good valve stem, seat and valve guide lubricant. It's cheap too. I don't use it but many I know do.

Harley used to actually sell an additive to keep the plugs and combustion chamber clean. I used it on long touring trips.

I use Lucas or Seafoam in my gas about once a month.

Chevron, Techron is the best for cleaning any bikes fuel system, especially good for injectors and carbs.

Sam:71baldboy:

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Dang that must get expensive. I just fuel and go.:)

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Oh you want to add a oil supplement to the fuel. Enjoy. I have no freaking idea.
Old timers have been adding Marvel to their fuel for ever. I doubt it does much good in today's engines.
Snake oil in today's cars IMO.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
See, told ya I didn't know what it was used for except what I'm using it for.:)

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I remember my Grandad's old Ford fishin' wagon was sludged up from using Pennzoil (used to be Fords and Penz. didn't go together for some reason). My brother put two bottles of Marvel in it and filled it up with Quaker State and it broke all the sludge free, plugged up the oil pump screen and seized the engine. So it must have some anti-sludging abilities when used in the crankcase. But oils have come so far since then, I don't see any need for it.

FYI, since I was 14 or so when it happened, I didn't do any research on the subject. ;)

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I remember my Grandad's old Ford fishin' wagon was sludged up from using Pennzoil (used to be Fords and Penz. didn't go together for some reason). My brother put two bottles of Marvel in it and filled it up with Quaker State and it broke all the sludge free, plugged up the oil pump screen and seized the engine. So it must have some anti-sludging abilities when used in the crankcase. But oils have come so far since then, I don't see any need for it.

FYI, since I was 14 or so when it happened, I didn't do any research on the subject. ;)
I use it as an oil flush after starting an old bike for the first time.. 25% MMO in the sump, idle (or slightly above) until warm, dump the oil, filter, and screens.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Claimed benefits
Marketing literature makes claims about lubricating qualities, cleaning and friction reduction capabilities. However, little robust evidence exists documenting these purported benefits. The product has previously been marketed for use in all kinds of engines, including aircraft engines. However, it has been implicated in one aircraft crash where an engine suffered catastrophic damage during take-off after Mystery Oil had been used as a fuel additive. The engine damage found was attributed to detonation, which would be consistent with the octane reducing effects of Mystery oil.

The name Mystery Oil comes from Burt's answer to the question, "what kind of oil is this?" to which Pierce would respond, "It's a mystery!"

Composition
The product is composed of 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.

Dichlorobenzene (1,2-Dichlorobenzene (ortho-dichlorobenzene))0 – 5% , Fine White Mineral Oil 70 – 100% , Mineral Spirits 20 – 30%

Pass...

And that goes double for oil additives...

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't add anything every fill-up. I will run some Lucas now and again in the gas.

BUT: My GL1200 Goldwing started making a ticking noise up front in the motor. The Goldwing Docs told me to try a little MM a little Seafoam in the oil.

I did, the noise completely stopped after about 500 miles. I changed the oil shortly after that but added a little MM back in.

MM is suppose to help lube the top end. A little transmission fluid will do the same thing. I think its suppose to help break-up carbon deposits when used in your gas.

·
8,579 Posts
If I eat a double cheeseburger and then put ear plugs in before I ride, I notice my engine runs much smoother--I don't know about the bike but MY engine runs much smoother:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
If I eat a double cheeseburger and then put ear plugs in before I ride, I notice my engine runs much smoother--I don't know about the bike but MY engine runs much smoother:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:
Well, there ya go... an additive that works! Just has to be put in the operator rather than the machine. :biggrin:

(I will concur that above does indeed work.)

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
MM oil works wonders in air systems, compressors, tools, etc... I bought a used air horn from somebody on one of these forums 6 or 8 years ago, they stated it was weak....

I treated the small compressor with MM, and it worked better than new.

A capfull in your tank wont' hurt anything.

Not saying it is going to help anything...

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
A capfull in your tank wont' hurt anything.

Not saying it is going to help anything...
Best Answer .. I do use Seafoam Now and Then and not really sure it truly helps anything .. But it doesn't hurt anything for sure either ..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts