Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks I’m new to this forum and I’m new to motorcycle riding, and repair. I’ve just bought this old year 2000 Suzuki marauder (800). Great ride. Lots of torque for this rookie. Just recently the idiot light for temperature has come on intermittently. Liquid cooled. It takes about 10 minutes for it to come on, and it often comes off when I’m heading straight home scared my engine is gonna warp. Of Course I’m concerned about driving it while hot. The coolant level is OK. Oil level is OK, which is likely not relevant. I never hear the fan going engine on or off, key on or off..... She idles ok; not too fast which I’ve read can potentially cause excessive heat. No visible leaks anywhere. no smell of coolant, and no odd engine noise; no difference in sound when idiot light is on. What is the next step I need to do. I think I’m smart enough with the right guidance form you folks! 🙏 😅

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,785 Posts
Can you see the overflow tank? Does the level ever change?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I can’t tell even if there is fluid in there to be honest. I’ve based coolant level being “ok” on seeing coolant right up to top when cap is off. This would be 15 mins after she’s been running. I haven’t had the tank off (if that’s how you do it) to take a close look at overflow reservoir. Hey Thanks so much for the help!

·
12,785 Posts
You are talking the radiator cap correct? Where is the level when it is cold? There should be fluid in the overflow all the time, less when cold more when hot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, I’m talking about the radiator cap. I need to verify if there’s any coolant in the reservoir. Should I be able to see that easily? I honestly thought the gas tank had to be removed.
To answer your questions,
A) Cold - when it’s cold (hasn’t run since yesterday) the coolant level when taking off radiator cap is full.
B) Warm - 10 mins after she’s been running (sometimes the last few minutes of running with the overheat light on) the coolant level is the same

Again I’m not sure if I’m seeing ANY coolant in the reservoir. As stupid as this sounds, do I have to remove the tank to see? Common sense tells me I should be able to see easily without taking anything off......

·
12,785 Posts
I honestly do not know where it is on your bike but you should be able to see it. Do you have a service manual for your bike? If not you may be able to do a search online and download one. But it is something you should have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts