Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 CBR600R has a " buzzing/vibration" resonance when in gear throughout the RPM band. Seems like it started ever since I had a shop put in a APE CCT manual. I tried seeing if it was too tight. I believe they overtigtend it. So I backed it out to where I thought it was inbetween too loose " ticking" and tight. I also recently had my clutch changed, I was hoping it was vibration from the clutch basket or disks. Another shop said the springs could be vibrating. I know it didn't make this sound before the APE CCT. I'm wondering if its time to take the top end apart?

Seems like the bike idles fine. Not sure whats going on.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
From my understanding on those, you finger tighten them JUST until there is no noise from the chain, then 1/8 to 1/4 more then stop there. I have heard differnt variations of this and I would only tighten until there was no noise via finger tight only. I finally decided to purchase a new one and installed it, on my 97 CBR1100XX. On the little sibling the 09 CBR600rr we took off the auto tightening type and we cleaned it and found there was dramatic improvement on its operation so I advised buying a new one and installing it. The noise from the chain sounds to me just like what it is a chain hitting things, others have described it like a box of marbles. Other noises that may not be it could be the actual valves needing some adjusting. Maybe a video of the sound? I know it is hard to capture an accurate account of the sound but it might help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for responding. Yes, its supposed to be installed finger tight and 1/2 turn or 1/8th of a turn. I just remember leaving the shop and hearing a high pitched sound, i've never heard before. So I backed it and readjusted it about 1/8th of a turn. That seemed to make it better. I would describe it as semi high pitched and like a "buzzing or vibration. " Everyone keeps telling me to not worry about it... to me my gut says this ain't normal. When you rev it becomes more pronounced. I have a video of me riding, unfortunately when riding with the Yoshimura slip on its just too damn loud to discern between the exhaust and that noise. I'll try and see if I can capture it on the act. The odd thing is when reving out of gear i'd say like 98% of that noise disappears. Its like under load something changes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts