Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Moderator - Motorcycle Repair, Building, Restore
3,873 Posts
I thought so, it was over in Joplin Missouri. Even though it's too much for my son right now, it was probably well worth that price to park it for a couple years until he's ready. However... I didn't.
I bought mine from Sam a year ago, it's a 16, and I think it was $5300, and that was a great deal at the time. It didn't have a scratch on it until some jerk vandalized it in a hotel parking lot in Iowa.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This is why they still make them. For every guy like me, there's a guy like you. To each their own :)
I will admit, depending on your area, the used market in the US is full of lightly used options. It blows my mind when I see someone buy a new Harley or Ducati that cost as much as my car did and then put only a few hundred miles on it before selling it. Seems like they would have been much better off picking up a used bike in that case.

·
Moderator - Motorcycle Repair, Building, Restore
3,873 Posts
I will admit, depending on your area, the used market in the US is full of lightly used options. It blows my mind when I see someone buy a new Harley or Ducati that cost as much as my car did and then put only a few hundred miles on it before selling it. Seems like they would have been much better off picking up a used bike in that case.
A lot of people buy bikes - as well as quads, waverunners, snowmobiles, and all sorts of other toys - with the intention of playing all the time, but the toy ends up becoming a garage emblem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
A lot of people buy bikes - as well as quads, waverunners, snowmobiles, and all sorts of other toys - with the intention of playing all the time, but the toy ends up becoming a garage emblem.
While I understand that people have the best intentions when picking up such things, I just find it odd that people buy something that is a good chunk of money and then not make good use of it. At the end of the day, it's not my money they're spending. I have had some run ins with people who love their bike but then seem to avoid riding it. Like I said, maybe I am the crazy one for using mine as a daily when I could easily take a car.

·
Visionary
3,950 Posts
I bought someone's garage queen, and I got the story of how it happened while picking it up, the owner was a nice guy and we chatted for a bit.

He bought the 2011 Kingpin new as his first bike, he told me the story was he was watching Son's of Anarchy and thought it would be cool to ride a bike. The Victory dealer was closer than Harley so that's what he ended up with. He rode it 2800 miles in 4 months, then he did something that scared his wife ( he didn't really explain but he said she JUMPED off the bike and scratched the back fender 1/2 inch with her heel !..the only mark on it) and he never rode it again except once a year he took it to the dealer for service, I have no idea if he rode it or trailered it but the oil was changed every year. It basically spent 6 years wrapped up and plugged into a battery tender in his heated and cooled garage, alongside a spotless RV, spotless quad, spotless jetski, and a spotless Mustang and a spotless Corvette, all plugged into tenders. His rather impressive toy collection.

I'm not complaining, I got a basically brand new $15,000 bike for $6000. He was totally horrified when I picked it up that I didn't bring a trailer and that I was intending to ride it home 50 miles in 25F and snow flurries.. I think he thought I was joking up to the point that I rode away.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I bought someone's garage queen, and I got the story of how it happened while picking it up, the owner was a nice guy and we chatted for a bit.

He bought the 2011 Kingpin new as his first bike, he told me the story was he was watching Son's of Anarchy and thought it would be cool to ride a bike. The Victory dealer was closer than Harley so that's what he ended up with. He rode it 2800 miles in 4 months, then he did something that scared his wife ( he didn't really explain but he said she JUMPED off the bike and scratched the back fender 1/2 inch with her heel !..the only mark on it) and he never rode it again except once a year he took it to the dealer for service, I have no idea if he rode it or trailered it but the oil was changed every year. It basically spent 6 years wrapped up and plugged into a battery tender in his heated and cooled garage, alongside a spotless RV, spotless quad, spotless jetski, and a spotless Mustang and a spotless Corvette, all plugged into tenders. His rather impressive toy collection.

I'm not complaining, I got a basically brand new $15,000 bike for $6000. He was totally horrified when I picked it up that I didn't bring a trailer and that I was intending to ride it home 50 miles in 25F and snow flurries.. I think he thought I was joking up to the point that I rode away.
People who buy something new and then put a small amount of miles on it are definitely good for the strengthening the used market. It is part of the reason new bike sales in the US are such a small percentage compared to other parts of the world. Which both helps and hurts us, since we usually can pick up something slightly older for cheaper but sometimes we miss out on models or have less influence in what the market offers.

I haven't rode in 25F yet, the lowest I have done was just above freezing, around 35F. Once it snowed in MI, I would ride on nicer days but I would avoid my fun side roads unless it had been nice for an extended duration. I found out some of my favorite roads would still have plenty of snow on them due to being more shaded and less travelled. I might ride more in winter weather if I end up going with a Tiger 900 GT, it has heated grips/seats and I would pick up heated gear.

·
Visionary
3,950 Posts
People who buy something new and then put a small amount of miles on it are definitely good for the strengthening the used market. It is part of the reason new bike sales in the US are such a small percentage compared to other parts of the world. Which both helps and hurts us, since we usually can pick up something slightly older for cheaper but sometimes we miss out on models or have less influence in what the market offers.

I haven't rode in 25F yet, the lowest I have done was just above freezing, around 35F. Once it snowed in MI, I would ride on nicer days but I would avoid my fun side roads unless it had been nice for an extended duration. I found out some of my favorite roads would still have plenty of snow on them due to being more shaded and less traveled. I might ride more in winter weather if I end up going with a Tiger 900 GT, it has heated grips/seats and I would pick up heated gear.
Heated gear is a game changer, and the heated seat and grips help a lot too. I found that without heated gear I can take just about anything for about an hour but then I start getting cold and start to shiver as time goes on. With the heated gear my core temperature never drops so there is no limit to my ride length.

I doubt I would have survived this ride without the heated grips, jacket and gloves, and I actually missed the heated seat that my 16 has but not my 08.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts