Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newer rider, but I put on quite a bike of miles in my first year.

11K mikes on a 2019 YZF-R3, riding in all sorts of weather such as the heat waves of July or the cold rainy days in November.

Actually, it was less than a year because my bike was stolen four months before I had my bike for a full year.

Sold a car I bought new back in 2017 and my winter daily, replaced them a cheaper one and waiting till I have a garage situation before I pick up my new daily for most of the year.

Currently eyeing a Street Triple RS, I think it would be a good daily and something I could easily take to a track day to see if I enjoy that enough to pick up a R6 to make into a dedicated track bike.

·
Moderator - Motorcycle Repair, Building, Restore
3,873 Posts
Welcome from Granite Falls, WA. I have 3 Triumphs and all have been great bikes. My friends has a Street Triple and he loves it.

·
American Legion Rider
22,141 Posts
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us😁

And thanks for the introduction. We all appreciate it.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,290 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
On The Road Again!
3,460 Posts
Sorry to hear about your stolen bike.
Welcome to the forum from northern New Jersey.
Where are you located?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to hear about your stolen bike.
Welcome to the forum from northern New Jersey.
Where are you located?
Michigan, meth head saw my R3 and thought it was a R6; I was going to make it into a dedicated track bike at one point but life happens.

Am I upset it was stolen, of course; am I surprised, not really.

But yeah, insurance paid out and I also had a security policy which I will put towards the replacement I will buy once I have a house.

I cannot change the fact my bike was stolen, so I am focusing on what I can change instead, like selling a car I loved but did not drive as much once I started riding to give me more options in replacing my bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome from Granite Falls, WA. I have 3 Triumphs and all have been great bikes. My friends has a Street Triple and he loves it.
At this moment, I really dig the Street Triple RS, it gives me something sporty but more daily friendly, also cheaper to insure because naked bike.

Also, I am not sure how but the idea of having a Tiger 900 GT has also entered my mind since someone told me it is short person friendly.

·
3,873 Posts
At this moment, I really dig the Street Triple RS, it gives me something sporty but more daily friendly, also cheaper to insure because naked bike.

Also, I am not sure how but the idea of having a Tiger 900 GT has also entered my mind since someone told me it is short person friendly.
That wouldn't surprise me. My Scrambler is quite low for a standard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That wouldn't surprise me. My Scrambler is quite low for a standard.
I was told the Tiger 900 GT was short person friendly, the more off road focused Rally version is less short person friendly.

I like the GT as I don't see myself doing a lot of off road, but I want to be able to hit a dirt road or go off the beaten path.

·
3,873 Posts
I was told the Tiger 900 GT was short person friendly, the more off road focused Rally version is less short person friendly.

I like the GT as I don't see myself doing a lot of off road, but I want to be able to hit a dirt road or go off the beaten path.
I don't know much about the Tiger. I bought my V Strom for the same reasons. I am now selling the V Strom because, without fail, I just end up jumping on my XR650

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know much about the Tiger. I bought my V Strom for the same reasons. I am now selling the V Strom because, without fail, I just end up jumping on my XR650
The Street Triple RS I am fairly certain I want, it's sporty while being more daily-able and I dig the way the new one looks. The reason I have been thinking about the Tiger is I ride in crappy weather, so the lack of wind/weather protection on the Street Triple RS could hamper my commuting. The Tiger would see use on crappy weather days or during the colder parts of the year.

I have debated more off-road focused options, like a Tenere 700. I could pick up a bigger dual sport and that would be more street friendly. The issue is I think I would spend most of my time on the street, so maybe I would be happier with something more street oriented.

I have time to think about this thankfully. Currently, I am thinking the Tiger 900 GT will be my next purchase, to get back on two wheels and then pick up the Street Triple RS. That way I don't have to worry about going from a 42hp bike to a 120hp sport bike after having a year away from riding due to the theft.

·
3,873 Posts
The Street Triple RS I am fairly certain I want, it's sporty while being more daily-able and I dig the way the new one looks. The reason I have been thinking about the Tiger is I ride in crappy weather, so the lack of wind/weather protection on the Street Triple RS could hamper my commuting. The Tiger would see use on crappy weather days or during the colder parts of the year.

I have debated more off-road focused options, like a Tenere 700. I could pick up a bigger dual sport and that would be more street friendly. The issue is I think I would spend most of my time on the street, so maybe I would be happier with something more street oriented.

I have time to think about this thankfully. Currently, I am thinking the Tiger 900 GT will be my next purchase, to get back on two wheels and then pick up the Street Triple RS. That way I don't have to worry about going from a 42hp bike to a 120hp sport bike after having a year away from riding due to the theft.
I see older V Strom 1000's for sale for cheap all the time. My friend has (or had) one and, while it was dependable, it was a bit heavy and kind of a dog. A perfect bike for commuting in crappy weather and on crappy roads, especially if you want something you don't have to really care about. Keep good tires on it and ride it into the ground. The height thing, I'm not sure about, but my friend is about 5'9" and short legged for his height.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see older V Strom 1000's for sale for cheap all the time. My friend has (or had) one and, while it was dependable, it was a bit heavy and kind of a dog. A perfect bike for commuting in crappy weather and on crappy roads, especially if you want something you don't have to really care about. Keep good tires on it and ride it into the ground. The height thing, I'm not sure about, but my friend is about 5'9" and short legged for his height.
If you look hard enough, you can find some 2019 leftovers for a few grand off, a 2019 1000 is around the 10K mark, a 650 is around the 7K mark.

The used market when it comes to ADV bikes doesn't concern me as much as the sport bike market, so I will need to see what I can find in the area.

I am still debating what I want to go with and I will need to check out various options before I commit to anything; it's just easier to check out newer models since I can sit on a dealer's bike.

One thing I hate about searching for used listings living in MI, you can search out a 250 miles and find something that looks reasonable and realize, it is actually much further away because you have to around Lake Michigan.

·
3,873 Posts
If you look hard enough, you can find some 2019 leftovers for a few grand off, a 2019 1000 is around the 10K mark, a 650 is around the 7K mark.

The used market when it comes to ADV bikes doesn't concern me as much as the sport bike market, so I will need to see what I can find in the area.

I am still debating what I want to go with and I will need to check out various options before I commit to anything; it's just easier to check out newer models since I can sit on a dealer's bike.

One thing I hate about searching for used listings living in MI, you can search out a 250 miles and find something that looks reasonable and realize, it is actually much further away because you have to around Lake Michigan.
Gotcha. I see older V Strom 1000's for $1500-$2000 all the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gotcha. I see older V Strom 1000's for $1500-$2000 all the time.
I just checked my local Craig's List and the only V Strom I could find was a 2018 650 that was close to the price of the 2019 leftovers. Most of the time I see cruisers and sport bikes, not much else pops up in the private sales. If I check dealership inventories it tends to be newer bikes that are listed close enough to new that I would rather go new or much older bikes with a lot of miles on them. Even then the cheapest bike I found was still around the $4000 mark.

The only reason I lean towards newer bikes is because I am going to use this as my daily for most of the year. So, it makes sense for me to buy a newer bike compared to someone who only plans on riding on the weekends and when the weather is nice. If I buy something like a new Tiger 900 GT, my intent is to get my money's worth out of it. I put 11K miles on my R3 in less than a year, so if I do around 20K miles a year commuting and taking longer trips, I think the purchase would be justified.

I am also not super comfortable interacting with people and this private sellers are something I am not hugely confident in dealing with. I think once I know more about wrenching and what to look for, I will consider picking up used more often depending on my intended use, for something like a dedicated track bike a new bike makes zero sense. Also, in some cases will have to buy used, like when I go to find an old school bike like a gray import 1990 NSR250 SE.

I sold my car for the sole reason to make this next bike purchase more affordable if I decided to go with a more premium option. I am putting away money in the mean time, I am going without things like cable TV to make saving up easier and I tend to plan out anything bigger like a motorcycle purchase. However, I still want to consider any and all options before I commit to anything.

·
3,873 Posts
I just checked my local Craig's List and the only V Strom I could find was a 2018 650 that was close to the price of the 2019 leftovers. Most of the time I see cruisers and sport bikes, not much else pops up in the private sales. If I check dealership inventories it tends to be newer bikes that are listed close enough to new that I would rather go new or much older bikes with a lot of miles on them. Even then the cheapest bike I found was still around the $4000 mark.

The only reason I lean towards newer bikes is because I am going to use this as my daily for most of the year. So, it makes sense for me to buy a newer bike compared to someone who only plans on riding on the weekends and when the weather is nice. If I buy something like a new Tiger 900 GT, my intent is to get my money's worth out of it. I put 11K miles on my R3 in less than a year, so if I do around 20K miles a year commuting and taking longer trips, I think the purchase would be justified.

I am also not super comfortable interacting with people and this private sellers are something I am not hugely confident in dealing with. I think once I know more about wrenching and what to look for, I will consider picking up used more often depending on my intended use, for something like a dedicated track bike a new bike makes zero sense. Also, in some cases will have to buy used, like when I go to find an old school bike like a gray import 1990 NSR250 SE.

I sold my car for the sole reason to make this next bike purchase more affordable if I decided to go with a more premium option. I am putting away money in the mean time, I am going without things like cable TV to make saving up easier and I tend to plan out anything bigger like a motorcycle purchase. However, I still want to consider any and all options before I commit to anything.
This is why they still make them. For every guy like me, there's a guy like you. To each their own :)

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,664 Posts
I contemplated buying a 14 1k V strom complete with luggage, excellent condition and less than 7k miles for 2900 awhile back. Intentions were for my son, but ultimately I decided it was too much bike for him and I've got enough. Still seemed like a heck of a deal. It was only two hours away.

Much like OP, around here, it's mostly cruisers for sale, and any city area is generally cruiser and sport bikes. Adventure bikes and enduros for sale used are few and far between in the advertised areas.

·
3,873 Posts
I contemplated buying a 14 1k V strom complete with luggage, excellent condition and less than 7k miles for 2900 awhile back. Intentions were for my son, but ultimately I decided it was too much bike for him and I've got enough. Still seemed like a heck of a deal. It was only two hours away.

Much like OP, around here, it's mostly cruisers for sale, and any city area is generally cruiser and sport bikes. Adventure bikes and enduros for sale used are few and far between in the advertised areas.
That's a screaming deal.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,664 Posts
I thought so, it was over in Joplin Missouri. Even though it's too much for my son right now, it was probably well worth that price to park it for a couple years until he's ready. However... I didn't.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts