Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often times when I ride, I don't have a "gotta go here" route planned, I just point and go. I think this is one of the joys of being a solo rider and enjoy these trips to nowhere more than anything.

As I haven't had time to ride lately, rather haven't made time, I jumped on the bike this cool fall afternoon for a ride to nowhere. Layered up, fueled up, plugged in some tunes and headed west. After a few short minutes of traffic, I hit a mostly empty highway and left my life behind for a bit. No work deadlines, no honey do's, just me and this wonderfully built machine.

Trying to hold her back to a legal speed, I roll through the hills of northwest Louisiana enjoying the peace and joy of truly living. The smooth, raw power of the Valkyrie is a well known secret to anyone who rides her. Even so, I am always amazed and surprised by it, feeling like a kid on Christmas morning after he received his Red Rider BB gun.

As I roll on, my focus changes and the bike and I become one unit. With every corner I hit, the throttle twists wider, along with my smile. Pegs dragging, counter steering this big girl, blowing past traffic, damn this thing is fun. Before I know it, I approach my driveway and am sad. But that sadness is short lived as I know I can do another 100 mile lap tomorrow...

·
7,763 Posts
That was some beautiful poetry Brain:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

Reactions: TheBrain

·
American Legion Rider
21,756 Posts
I got some much needed wind therapy yesterday. Was a beautiful day too. Even though it was to stand a flag-line, that part is always a challenge, but the rest of the day and ride was great. Only ~130 miles but I truly needed it.

Shut up before you even start.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sun was out Sunday so I took a 275+/- mile trek – supposedly to test my new ECU (reflash) which is the conservative Mountain Runner, so I headed to the mountains (or at least that’s what they call the apple-chain hills). Went over one way east to west, go a bit south, come back the other way (90-degrees to Skyline drive) west to east, then got lost, saw signs that Richmond is not far off; say oops, turn around and head back towards F’burg. My riding was absolutely terrible – only defense is that it has been 12-15 years since I’ve been over there except about 8-10 years ago in my wife's Miata, and never on a bike with C14 capabilities… on the other hand, the only bike that passed me was a very well ridden KLR, who blistered me with little fanfare… my cornering technique was unique; rather than the old-fashioned analogue style – smooth trail-brake in, late apex, and power out, mine was more in the contemporary mode – very digital, characterized by multiple apexes, connected with abrupt acceleration, then an OH #$%!! expletive and sharp braking, on to the next incremental apex, more accel/decel cycling and so on – string enough of them together and you can get through any corner… Surprisingly, my fuel mileage was about 10% better through the day than previous steady riding – most of it spent in 3rd-4th-5th gear rather than droning along, so that was a happy result – I suspect it will be better still when not mistreated so badly, but I’m happy… thankfully the reflash smothered some of the rider-induced-abruptness (or something did), but I didn’t test the 89 octane capability until I was back on the flat…

·
On The Road Again!
3,388 Posts
my cornering technique was unique; rather than the old-fashioned analogue style – smooth trail-brake in, late apex, and power out, mine was more in the contemporary mode – very digital, characterized by multiple apexes, connected with abrupt acceleration, then an OH #$%!! expletive and sharp braking, on to the next incremental apex, more accel/decel cycling and so on – string enough of them together and you can get through any corner… Surprisingly, my fuel mileage was about 10% better through the day than previous steady riding – most of it spent in 3rd-4th-5th gear rather than droning along, so that was a happy result – I suspect it will be better still when not mistreated so badly, but I’m happy… thankfully the reflash smothered some of the rider-induced-abruptness (or something did), but I didn’t test the 89 octane capability until I was back on the flat…
Mama said there'd be days like that.....

I hate when I look forward to a ride, and then have an 'off' day where
I feel like I'm about half a second behind the bike.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,127 Posts
There are some great roads out in that area DCS

·
Registered
376 Posts
There are some great roads out in that area DCS
Yep, no question about it -- although generally I've tended to ride over by/around the Bay when I need t clear my head; but it is pretty obvious I'd get smoked by my great-grandson on his bicycle if I tried to race him on any technical pavement... :nerd:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,127 Posts
Southern MD has some nice roads and scenery as well. I am up closer to Annapolis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts