Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend would like to make a copy of his Yamaha R1 key, is there at chip in it? Can he bring it to a regular locksmith or does he have to go through Yamaha to get a copy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Even if it is chipped, a quality locksmith can have them in stock. Tell him not to hesitate asking one. He will save big money by being able to avoid the dealership.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Even if it is chipped, a quality locksmith can have them in stock. Tell him not to hesitate asking one. He will save big money by being able to avoid the dealership.
Agree. I had no difficulty getting a local Locksmith to make me a duplicate.

-soupy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the replies. Earlier tonight he went to a local locksmith and he just tried the key....it turns but won't start the bike. Any thoughts on this?

·
10,763 Posts
Did the locksmith say if it has a chip in it? If it does, it will need to be set. The owners manual will tell you how to do that. If not, I would take it back to the locksmith and tell him the problem.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Did the locksmith say if it has a chip in it? If it does, it will need to be set. The owners manual will tell you how to do that. If not, I would take it back to the locksmith and tell him the problem.

"Ditto" again.............a key is just a key without a chip!

-Soupy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I failed to mention that his bike is a 2005. I heard that some years don't have a chip. Does this year have? I think he just made a copy with no chip.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
A qualified locksmith should know if the key has a chip in it or not. If you are getting one cut at Walmart or a hardware store, odds are they don't know what they are dealing with.

A chipped key will be a lot more expensive to copy!

·
Registered
153 Posts
We are all saying things like "qualified locksmith" for a reason.
Every key I've ever had made at Home Depot or Lowes has not worked. Sometimes not at all, another time they got it right on the THIRD trip back to them. I only use a large, established locksmith near my home, or there is also a hardware store guy ( the owner ) that gets it right every time too. You just can't take a guy from the paint department and tell him to work hardware for a day or so here and there and make keys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts