Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the way things are looking now, due to job opportunities and college, I might possibly be moving... to Mt. Vernon, Washington just north of Seattle.
I've been wanting to get the h*ll out of Arizona all of my life until I started riding. Now that I'm riding, I've found a new appreciation for Arizona, and I'm extremely unsure about this possible move.
So my question goes out to any of you Washington locals on here:
How is riding in Washington? I want to ride year round like I have been since I started riding. (The longest I've spent away from the bike was a week, and I was pretty sick that whole week.)
Does it rain often? Will I be able to make it work if my bike is my only vehicle (and just take a bus or something if the weather is dangerous)?
Are there as many great roads to ride in Washington like there are in Arizona?
Riding aside, Mt. Vernon is almost my dream town, but riding is a huge part of my life now and I don't want to let it suffer if Washington isn't going to be the right place.
Thank you all in advance

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Mt Vernon.

Finally someone mentions a place in the US where I have been. Mount Vernon is a real pretty place with lakes and hills, and even a few bends in I 5. It rains in the Pacific North West. You can ride year round. Check the weather met for annual rain fall. You will be close to the ocean, Everett, Bellingham, Seattle, and a bunch more places. The Cascade mountains are to the East. Highway 20 is a great ride. Closed in winter months. The East side of the Cascades gets hot, over 100. The next pass South of 20 is Stevens Pass. It is a great ride. Levenworth is a treat. Next one South is I 90. That is a fairly straight freeway.
The North South 97 and 395 are great. Takes you to Grace Shredder, Reno and South America. WA is a great State. Lots to do. Two road race tracks not too far away. Big bike event at Annacortes around September.

Hawk is probably the closest, then 85dirty and Yamix. I usually blow by there a couple of times per year. Just remembered. It can be foggy some mornings.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
If you're thinking about going anywhere where it snows. Don't. Whether you ride or not.
^^^:71baldboy:

I was stationed near Tacoma several years ago and, although I was never there for very long at one time, I thought the surrounding area was beautiful, but the weather was awfully wet and soggy a lot of the time.

Given my druthers I'd much rather live, and ride, in the South West, and I love riding in Arizona and Utah in particular.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If you want to ride everywhere at any time. the Pacific North Wet is the wrong place to be. Near the coast you can ride any time if you are OK with riding in the rain. Once you move inland as much as 20 miles all bets are off. Some of the sort of low coastal mountains are tall enough to block bike riding because their precip comes as snow during winter.
Oregon and Washington are very nice places to ride in good weather but not every weekend has good weather, nor does every weekend in Arizona. Get real. I have been there when no way would I volunteer to be out riding.

·
American Legion Rider
18,588 Posts
Spokane was the first place I ever saw streets that melted snow in the winter. Great idea but has to be extremely expensive. Being electrified that is.

·
6,500 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=Seasonal+effective+disorder&title=Special:Search

Besides depression from it being cloudy and raining all the time, the "Peoples republic of Wash," is a liberal HAVEN, WITH VERY HIGH TAXES TO SUPPORT ALL OF THE AGING HIPPIES THAT 'LIVE' THERE.

If you enjoy a landscape of mostly trees then it's beautiful. The coastal areas are very nice however.

You can't even get a decent 'Spotted Owl cheeseburger there anymore!'

Just Kidding, the place is beautiful and a good starting point to find fantastic riding in every direction.

Jut beware of Cheech and Chong who have been spotted there quite frequently:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
^^^:71baldboy:

I was stationed near Tacoma several years ago and, although I was never there for very long at one time, I thought the surrounding area was beautiful, but the weather was awfully wet and soggy a lot of the time.

Given my druthers I'd much rather live, and ride, in the South West, and I love riding in Arizona and Utah in particular.
Having spent some time near there.:frown:...Eye is absolutely correct!
Monsoon comes to mind.:mad:......flashbacks!
Ed

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Tacoma

Jammie used to live in Tacoma. Otherwise the place sucks.
Just checking my geography recall. Jammie lived in Olympia, or somewhere in between. Same comment applies.
Mount Vernon is a lot different. Do not be put off by the folks that are afraid of a little rain. I have raced at Westwood BC, Kent WA and Portland OR. And that is the order of more rain, and more heat.
It hardly ever snows in that area. I have been over the Cascade mountains during every month of the year. Heck I am a map of WA.
Spokane to the East is a lot colder, and a lot hotter. Same goes for Wenatchee, which is a really nice ride away. Where is Hawk when we need him? Lots of Indian history. Nez Pez and Appaloosas. Chief Joseph dam.

Here is a short Version: Mount Vernon is one of the nicest places anywhere. Mrs Snippets agrees.

They do tend to vote Democrat in WA. Too many bloody boaters. But that might change. More geography. There is a Vancouver in BC, and one in the bottom left of WA. Thank Captain Vancouver for that. And Chief Seattle for Seattle. What he had to say about the pakeha deal for Seattle, is probably on line. Otherwise I have it here.

Unkle Krusty* BTW. It is raining here, a hundred miles to the North.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow thanks for all the great responses! Unfortunately if this decision is finalized I won't have much say in the matter. It's either there or colorado.
Riding aside, I do absolutely love what I've learned about the area!

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Me and Ed weren't afraid of a little rain, Krusty. But living in it, working in it, eating in it, and sleeping in it for days on end gets a little uncomfortable, and tends to make a body a bit disagreeable and cranky at times.

Of course, a few small pieces of toilet paper dry enough to not fall part when you used it would likely have given me much brighter memories of the area. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Me and Ed weren't afraid of a little rain, Krusty. But living in it, working in it, eating in it, and sleeping in it for days on end gets a little uncomfortable, and tends to make a body a bit disagreeable and cranky at times.

Of course, a few small pieces of toilet paper dry enough to not fall part when you used it would likely have given me much brighter memories of the area. :biggrin:

I have spent my time ( and a few other peoples too ) in a RAINY/Monsoon environment, Fullfilled my obligation to the Rain Gods! LOL I would be quite content where it didn't rain or Snow for that matter!
To each his own, I have had my fill of it, sorry!
Florida or Arizona,Texas.... would probably be my choice...Yea, I know it rains in Florida occassionally too.....I could probably deal with it better though. Last time I was in Florida..:icon_cool:.?? Went to ...Hooters!:biggrin: Damn! :biggrin: ahmmm......Oh well, better shut up while I'm ahead! ;)LOL:coffeescreen:
Regards
Ed

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Agreed.

I agree. Having worked outside year round in a rainy place. It is my little nudge to the folks from dry places, not unlike someone's nudge from a warmer spot.
I think the area in question is a bit dryer, but do not know for sure. Inches per year of rain is what I would check. 35 or less is livable, especially if the summers are generally dry. Inland in BC and WA it is around 7 1/2 inches per year.

Couple of years ago we were anchored on the boat. A family on shore were tenting. It was pissing rain. We watched them cooking outside. The daughter was not happy. We always tented at the beach when younger. Putting the tent up in pissing rain was not fun. We needed vans to sleep in, not yet invented. I bought a 37 Ford Hearse, buddy bought a 53 Ford ambulance.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Yup

Never thought I'd see that word here Unkle K.

Ka kite ano
I understand.
I put in a strange word now and then. Just remembered I have to tell them what sprigs are. No one around here knows any Indian words. I had a friend tell me how to say crazy white guy. I forgot, but should recognize it if one of the Salish guys says it. A few of them use pakeha because they do not know the Salish word. I also got them saying tenakoe.
Brother just moved his boat from Opua to Whangaroa Marina. Taupo Bay just North of him is nice. Shoulda bought a section when they were $350-

Unkle Krusty*

1 - 20 of 41 Posts