Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Very Famous Person
10,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--

Here's a link about a blowout I got several years ago on my 'new to me' Gold Wing. It was on a decent looking stock motorcycle tire.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-general-mc-message-board/195401-blown-out-rear-tire.html

If you wonder, yes, it hurt. Totaled the bike and put me in ICU for three weeks with lots of physical damage. I was traveling on the freeway in southern Texas about 70 mph when it started to blow and I high sided.

That's one reason (in fact the main reason) why I want to put a run-flat car tire on my new touring bike. They don't make run-flats for bikes that I know of.

--

·
On The Road Again!
4,649 Posts
Ron, I have read many reports of those damned Metzlers coming apart like that.
I'd never buy one.
I have a car tire on the rear of my Goldwing and I love it. I currently have around 11,000 miles on it and it shows no sign of wear. Holds the road like glue in the twisties, and I'm a fairly aggressive rider.
Haven't tried a run flat though.
Good luck with yours!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ouch! Glad to see you healed up. I had a Metzler sidewall blow out on a gl1800 while pulling a bunkhouse on the interstate about 12 years ago. Definitely not fun, but nowhere close to the experience you had. No more Metzler's for me

·
Registered
454 Posts
Wow. Ronk that thread scared me! What model Metzeler was that? I have been using Metzeler marathon 880's on my vtx forever with no problems and several people on the x forums have been using them and have 100's of thousands of miles on them. I wouldn't put anything else on my x. No cracking or anything like the pics on that gl forum. I ride that thing like my sportbike . I know the gw is a lot heavier and you were pulling weight. Im glad you are ok.
Weeks ago I had a nail in my rear tire (they were ready to be replaced anyway). But I got home safely riding on, 2up, with the nail in it and didnt even notice it till the next day. It was 15 psi .It must have lost the air sitting in the garage IDK. Ride on sealant got me home. It was about 45 minute drive.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
@RonK: Yikes! It's scary how that tire separated.

I ran Metzeler Sportec M5 Interact tires on my bike for a while. Sticky tires but steel cords peeked through before 3,500 miles. I'm thinking back about how hard I was on those tires and now feeling like I was damn lucky.

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,445 Posts
That tire looks exactly like what might have happened to me on my Indian if it didn't have TPMS. I could have easily gone miles with zero air which would have got the tire hot enough to separate. Well except my tire already had a quarter inch hole in it so it wouldn't explode but certainly would have separated. Really like this TPMS once I got used to seeing high pressure on hot tires that is normal.

·
Very Famous Person
10,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
--

Even though my new bike didn't come with TPMS, I have added a set that works on the valve stem. I can move it to whatever bike I'll be riding. Already used it a week ago when I got on the bike and it said 11#. Plugged a hole. I'll feel a lot safer when I get a run-flat tire on the rear.

I know some riders have said they check the pressure every time before they ride. That might be okay if you ride just once per week, but since usually I ride about 3 times per week, I don't like the hassle of getting down on the ground so I can reach under the bags to check the rear every ride. And to do that while on a trip is a pain, too.

--

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,917 Posts
You forgot the hard part Ronk. You have to roll the bike so the valve is at the bottom so you can actually get to it. On my bike with the hard bags that is usually get down on the ground to see if you can see the valve. Nope, so you roll it, put it back on the stand, get down and look again. If you are lucky you can get at it, if not repeat until you can. I have a very narrow window where I can get at it because of the pipes and hard bags.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,917 Posts
I also invested in a set of TP valve stem sensors.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would not ride a motorcycle tire on the highway that was older than three or four years even if it had low miles. Time takes it's toll. If I bought a motorcycle with OEM tires and the motorcycle were older than three years, especially if it is a garage queen, I think that would be job number one, ride it slowly to a tire place and get new rubber.

We tow our Boston Whaler Outrage 19, living in Kansas but being from the Gulf Coast, down to the Gulf multiple times per year. Long tows, I always put new tires on at four years even if they have good tread. Just over the years, my dad the same way with his trailer boats, it has proven to be wise.

·
If in doubt...what?
105 Posts
The tire blew, BUT, that bead held!! Mezler could run a add for that "Our bead will hold even after catastrophic failure!" I think the problem has been identified, older tire and low air pressure. I've run Metzler Tourances on my GS for as Long as I've owned it and have had nothing but superior performance from them. I related a story earlier about a dunlop loosing rubber due to age and asked if anyone had an opinion on how old is too old for a tire. I got no answers but see

I would not ride a motorcycle tire on the highway that was older than three or four years even if it had low miles.
I related a story earlier about a Dunlop loosing rubber due to age and asked if anyone had an opinion on how old is too old for a tire. I see 3crows thinks 3-4 years. Any other opinions?

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,445 Posts
I'm not sure there is a certain number of years. A tire stored outside in the daylight won't last as long as one stored in a climate controlled warehouse. So which one do you choose as to how old is old? One might be 1 year and the other 7 years or more. So are you asking about new tires or used tires? There are just too many variables in my opinion. Pick an average. Maybe something like a helmet. Say 5 years and be done. But you know people go much longer. In my case a 3 year old tire is too old. It will have too many miles on it to be safe any longer. In fact it's more like 2 years but I'm giving you 1 more for free.:grin: You have to look at the tire and look at it's manufacture date. Then decide and continue to look at that tire before each and every ride. As fast as I go through tires I could easily take a 3 year old tire and run it bald. I think. If any dry rot started showing I'd have to make a choice. So all I'm saying is I don't really think you can make a blank age statement. Just too many variables.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.