Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a magnetic tank bag (Eclipse) and silly me I read in the instructions "blah blah..do not place audio, credit cards, etc etc ) OOps I hadn't thunk of that.

How serious is this? First I think it's silly that the bag comes with a handle and a shoulder strap for easy take away, and I can not put my wallet and ipod, and phone in it?

Are they covering their [email protected]@ or is this a for real warning. The magnets do look big and there are 8 of them. Science question.. Thank you

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I wouldn't place anything with a magnetic strip in one. The magnets are pretty strong and there is the real possibility of corrupting the data on the card.

I'm not sure that a phone or Ipod would be damaged in any way, but if there is a warning, why take the risk?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Another thing to remember - try to avoid putting the tank bag on the ground. My tank bag picked up a piece of gravel when I strapped it on to a rented motorcycle, and it scratched the paint so badly cost me a new gas tank. :eek:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
the magnets in those suckers really ARE strong.
But the effect on credit cars is not as bad as you might guess.
I'm sure if you put any magnetic strip right against the magnets - it would be wiped.

But I used an MC tank bag as a kind of personal wallet for a long time. Put my normal wallet in there, plus a bunch of minor stuff (like checkbook, ID badge from work etc.). Nothing ever de-magnetized. and all that stuff was directly inside the tank bag.

On the positive side ... one day I forgot that I left the tank bag sitting on the hood of my Jeep. Duh. Drove all over town, got back home, and there it was - still locked onto the hood by the magnets. Cool! I loved it!!

But the dang things will attract all kinds of steel. The stupid tank bag kept picking up my car keys, and sometimes I didn't know they were locked onto the side of the sucker. Looked all over the house & garage ... dang it - try the tank bag. Hahahaha!

Have fun :)

dT

·
Registered
218 Posts
I put my wallet in mine and have never had an issue. The guys from mythbusters tested the whole idea of magnets and a credit card and they come to the conclusion that it takes a serious magnet more then anything available on the market to erase a credit card.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I haven't had a problem with the magnets messing with my electronics, or cards, but it does do a number on your gas tank after a while. Especially if you forget to wipe the magnets off before placing it on the tank. I'll never get a tank bag ever again.
One time I took one of the magnets out of the pocket, and stuck it on the fridge to see how it compared to other magnets, and I couldn't get it back off. Lol fail.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I made the mistake recently of putting my turnpike ticket in my phone case since I didn't have a pocket readily available. The magnet in the case totally erased the strip, much to the consternation of the tollbooth attendant.

·
10,756 Posts
I had a magnetic tank bag that totaly freaked out my MP3 player. It did not permanently hurt it, but the thing refused to play at all if in or on the bag.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wouldn't place anything with a magnetic strip in one. The magnets are pretty strong and there is the real possibility of corrupting the data on the card.

I'm not sure that a phone or Ipod would be damaged in any way, but if there is a warning, why take the risk?
I agree with this person! It would suck if you were to take a long nice 3 day ride and put your wallet in the bag and then when you went use it you couldn't. I wouldn't chance the iphone or ipod either they cost to much money to take the chance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Never had a problem with magnets and CCs, however, I did leave my wallet in my pocket and had an MRI done. Wiped them all. I guess that magnet was big enough.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
When my tank bag is on my bike, the magnets are on the side of the tank -- nowhere near my wallet, phone, etc. I have not had a problem. When I come to a stop, I take the stuff out of the bag and do not carry my valuables in the tank bag when off the bike.

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
Depending on darkness of your paint color on a tank, any magnet can cause imperfections to occur on the paint. Reasons are you get dust particles over time get under the magnet even if say you placed it on when surface was clean. I've seen magnets as small as refridgerator weakness magnets mess up a finish over time. Worse colors are black that get effected easily by magnets. I once applied silicon over magnet surface of roof strobes on my company work truck and to my surprise it did not show any real paint damage when I took them off to inspect the surface down the road. Though I also have a tolerable color (grey) which doesn't really show magnet imperfections on paint on my truck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
your ipod should be save since those use ssd tech, now an HDD, yeah, magnets will screw those up easy.. still takes a hefty one though.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
You can put wallets and stuff in a pocket away from the magnets or you could get a lead foil bag and keep your stuff that could be affected in the bag. They're used for that sort of stuff in airline bags, meant for film from cameras that could be ruined.

The point about keeping the magnets clean is really important. Do that and they don't really affect the paint o the tank.

·
Registered
41 Posts
wallets in pockets

Wallets do not belong in the bags - tank or saddle, magnetic or otherwise. While what you do when you run around the town is not terrbily crittical, on a cross-country motorcycle trip, my "common sense rules" are:

1) keep the money and the docs (driver license, insurance/registration slips, credit cards, passport, whatever... etc.) in two separate containers (wallets, pouches, CC cases...).

2) keep both of those on your person, in different pockets, and be consistent in what you put where.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts