Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime it dies sitting in idle, sometimes it shuts down driving down the road. I can start it right back up, but then it will die again. Sometimes it has done it several times, then it runs fine. I have a 25 mile ride to school, it died 6 times on the way, then made it the rest of the way fine, and back home fine. Sometimes after it starts back up it backfires...not all the time. Thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
additional note- all the lights stay on, so it does not seem to losing power. Maybe some sort of sensor malfunction?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
If you could mention the year and model????

For example,a 1983 V-45 [750cc] has a fuel pump that is electric. A poor connection there might explain it.

Pulse generator and spark box failures can occur,but that is usually a failure in which two cylinders quit working and then come back for a time. A loose connection at the 4 pin plastic connector coming from the pulse generator might explain all 4 cylinders failing to fire.

Also check the dog bone fuse of thin metal close to the battery. If you do check it,have a replacement right there as they are hard to find and may have to be ordered. I replaced mine with a fuse holder and modern fuse.

I have lived through your issues with a Magna,so keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you give a brief history? Was the bike running good all summer and then just started having this problem?
Ok- say maybe 3 or 4 months ago I was riding and the bike shut off and immediately fired back up and kept cruising. It was a half second no power-then back to power. One time, that's it. Did that same thing again maybe a couple weeks later. (Mind you, I ride everyday- not to far most of the time my commute to work is 1.5 miles). Anyway, then one evening coming home from school it died, only this time I had to start it back up - which it did, no problem. Then maybe a couple months ago it died a few times on a trip. Everytime starting right back up, sometime without me having to actually start it. Then maybe a month ago, it started happening more frequently. On my trip to school, (night class- about a 25 mile ride) it died on the freeway about 6 times. Finally shutting down to where I had to pull off on the side of the highway. It took a few tries, got it started and not a problem the rest of the way, nor on the 25 miles back. Now it will shut down sometime on my 1.5 mile to work, sometimes it won't. Sometime just idling, and it will start right back up, sometimes times riding. I noticed yesterday now it doesn't seem to be idling at a steady RPM...

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
I wonder if its a bad kickstand switch? A clogged tank vent shouldn't allow the bike to fire right back up (especially while still moving, as it sounds like you're describing).

·
American Legion Rider
20,037 Posts
Maybe not a bad switch but a loose one or a stretched spring allowing the side stand to move. But on a side note, you use the bike for a little 1.5 mile jaunt to work??? That is causing or will cause more problems than you can imagine. Plus you are missing a great opportunity for a little exercise. Hope you don't turn around and ride to the gym too. That short jaunt is not long enough to burn off any moisture that may have collected.

Short trips like that can be murder on a internal combustion engine. You may never see the problem if you don't keep the bike long enough but that practice can and will cause problems down the road.

Generally you want an engine to get to operating temperature and stay there for at least 15 minutes. 20 is better. Just a FYI.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
shut down...

probably a plugged gas line, bad fuel filter(installed backwards) or a jet plugged up.

might be a short waiting to happen, or a seriously mis-connected but simple to reconnection but serious.

check anything that might just quit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
TSmitty- These are all good suggestions. I would check wiring harness plugs and make sure the are not corroded or burnt. Make a list of things you are doing and check them off as you go. Check wires going into ignition coils front and back. Have you done any maintenance lately? Your carbs may need a good run through with Seafoam. Check your secondary air filter to see if it has not turned to mush and that mush getting sucked into your engine. There is a free downloadable service and owners manual on v4musclebike.com if you need it to help you find locations of parts on your magna. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TSmitty- These are all good suggestions. I would check wiring harness plugs and make sure the are not corroded or burnt. Make a list of things you are doing and check them off as you go. Check wires going into ignition coils front and back. Have you done any maintenance lately? Your carbs may need a good run through with Seafoam. Check your secondary air filter to see if it has not turned to mush and that mush getting sucked into your engine. There is a free downloadable service and owners manual on v4musclebike.com if you need it to help you find locations of parts on your magna. Let us know what you find out.
Ok- thanks. FYI- what I have done today- took gas cap off and rode- no change. I started the bike, put it in first then jiggled the kick stand. It won't shut the bike off until it is close to fully extended. I don't think that is it. I downloaded a manual a while back. I will start checking the other things. The new thing today...not sure if this will have bearing, but the neutral light is not coming on, unless I am squeezing the clutch, so even though I am in neutral it it will die when I put the kickstand down. Now I can tilt the bike to the right, and the neutral light will come on, and I can extend the kickstand. But once I lean back to the left, the light goes off and it shuts it down. Related? Thinkin maybe there is bad connection somewhere....

Thanks to everyone for the input!

ONE MORE NOTE: Bike seems to running rich. Smells a little like gas in the exhaust.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
It sounds like you may have found the issue. Before digging too deeply, check the simple things first like a slightly loose battery connection or unsecured battery. If the battery is sliding around and contacting the frame, it can short out. Also if the battery connections are even slightly loose, all kinds of gremlins can pop up.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I"m not sure if the Magna have and tilt sensor on it like the Goldwing, but if it does that sounds like it could be the problem.

The early 1500 Goldwings had a problem with the sensor shutting the bike off while running, then starting right back up. Honda had a recall on them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts