Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
I looked for an SR400 when I started riding again in 2017. They were not very popular and none of the dealers in my area had them, but said they could bring them in from other dealerships if I wanted one. It's probably a bike that you could get a great deal on brand new that's a year or two older model...if you can find one. And I agree that it would be a great little bike. Kick start only though, if that's an issue.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,115 Posts
I looked for an SR400 when I started riding again in 2017. They were not very popular and none of the dealers in my area had them, but said they could bring them in from other dealerships if I wanted one. It's probably a bike that you could get a great deal on brand new that's a year or two older model...if you can find one. And I agree that it would be a great little bike. Kick start only though, if that's an issue.

I'm 53 and I don't want no stinking kickstart daily riders. I doubt I'll have a different stance on that if I'm still lucky enough to be riding at Vito's age🙂

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
666 Posts
My local dealer had one. One of my student graduates almost bought it, but then he fell in love with a CB500X, I think it was. Supposedly the kickstarter was really easy, but I wouldn't want to mess with it. We had both a kickstarter and an electric starter on our '78 KZ400 and I ALWAYS used the electric one. I was thinking about a dual sport for awhile and found an older used one nearby, but it was kickstart only. Honestly, I never would have learned to ride if I had to kickstart bikes.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
The T120 is supposed to be arriving any day now. I will get it, trading in the Goldwing, and then take the test again. I actually have until 8/1 to get this all done. But I think that this test will be a challenge even with a 500 pound bike. I'm thinking of trading in the 149 cc scooter for a used 250cc Nighthawk if I can find one at any dealer anywhere in the area.
Sounds like you have a plan, but testing on a new, still heavy and large displacement bike might night be the best idea. If it has a clutch cable, it's going to be new and stiff which doesn't help with the slow stuff at all. I like the Nighthawk idea (although the drum brakes are pretty sucky) or some other nicely broken in 250cc bike. (y) If all else fails, you could just take the BRC again (never hurts!) and take care of the testing there. Isn't the BRC pretty much free in Illinois?

·
Registered
2011, Kawasaki, Z1000SX, Chain, Candy Line Green
48 Posts
You guys are gradually moving in the same direction as the EU.

If you want to take the category A (any motorcycle) test here, you must use a
bike with engine capacity greater than 595cc, weight of at least 175kg (386lb)
and engine power of 50kW or more. Different rules apply for electric motorcycles,
although there aren't many of those on the roads here yet...

The weight requirement rules out some of the lighter sports bikes. The 50kW
power requirement excludes a lot of single and twin cylinder machines.

As a born-again biker in 2012, I had to do the mandatory training and take
the practical test. Happily, my Suzuki Bandit ticks all the boxes, so I was
able to use it for the test.
Is Ireland already that far?

go dtí sin: bí cúramach!

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
My local dealer had one. One of my student graduates almost bought it, but then he fell in love with a CB500X, I think it was. Supposedly the kickstarter was really easy, but I wouldn't want to mess with it. We had both a kickstarter and an electric starter on our '78 KZ400 and I ALWAYS used the electric one. I was thinking about a dual sport for awhile and found an older used one nearby, but it was kickstart only. Honestly, I never would have learned to ride if I had to kickstart bikes.
WHAAAAAAT? Kickstarting is half the fun of it!!!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I had a Honda FT500 that was electric start only, the starter was the worst thing on the entire motorcycle.
Woody's Cycles has a Yamaha SR500 and a Yamaha SRX6 in his collection, I was looking them over today, that SRX6 is a nice little bike I always wanted one of those and I really need to stop looking at his motorcycles, it could get expensive.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
WHAAAAAAT? Kickstarting is half the fun of it!!!
Not when you're a wienee girl like me. That, and I can barely touch the ground on most bikes well enough to use an electric starter. No way I could balance a 400+ bike on my left foot AND be leggy enough to reach the kickstarter with my right.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
The way we used to start a big thumper, when we were just young'uns, was to stand on the right side of the bike, jump up as high as you could and as you started back down, stomp on the kick starter as hard as you could with your left foot.

After 10 or 12 tries, or when you got too tired to do it anymore, the next guy got to jump/stomp on it awhile. Seems to me it was a dirt bike and we just weren't long legged enough to straddle the bike and try to start it at the same time.

Eventually someone got the right combination of choke and throttle and it started, then we took turns riding the p*$$ out of it and not shutting it off until we were done riding. We had a lot of fun back then and we had never even heard of a cell phone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think at 78 its amazing pass or not. Im 37 and I have all sorts of pains and bones scraping inside my body. 🤣 I would not try a gold wing for sure. But if I did, Im sure I would fail as well. But in sure you will nail it on the next one.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts