Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
Wide load!馃き

What do they do if you show up on my Can-Am Spyder??? o_O

FIG 8's and sharp U-turns on a Goldwing is stupid unless you are a Pro on YouTube.:rolleyes:

The last riding test I took was my first one, in 1962.:D

My Son took his test on his 250cc Honda scooter and aced it the first time.(y)

Some bikes have a very wide turning radius, lock to lock. If I remember, my Ducati's did. I'd check the Trumpet T120 for that myself.;)

Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
I just renewed my license in MD, No tests at all including eye test. She did ask me if I still wore corrective lenses? I said I haven't since I got my cataract surgery. She changed my license to read none. I am good for another 10 years. We will see what happens then when I am 85.

Reactions: Porky

Very Famous Person
--

I remember when I drove for Trailways a long time ago. In Utah you could get a bus license even driving a 2.5 ton truck. But I took the test, including parallel parking, in a real 40' bus as I figured if I couldn't pass the test in the bus, I probably shouldn't be driving it.

There might be a lesson in there somewhere. :unsure:

--

Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
My only experience is administering the skill test to 500cc or smaller bikes. But we have markings on our range for the BRC2 for bigger bikes for U-turns. The box for 500cc or smaller is 20'x60'; for 501cc-749cc it's 24'x60'; for 750cc and up, it's 28'x 70' (I think it's 70'; I'm not sure, but I know it's longer). There are also different spots for the swerve cue cones that are farther from the obstacle. Vito, did the licensing agent set the course up for a bike the size of yours? If not, it's virtually impossible to expect you to do it (assuming you're not one of the Goldwing Drill Team experts--even then, I don't know if it's physically possible:unsure:).I was able to do the 28' box on my NINJA 1000 easily. I was also able to do it in the 24' box--once; the second time I dumped it on the right turn:giggle: I was just practicing with a friend, so I wasn't too terribly embarrassed, but I was EXTREMELY unhappy that my head hit the ground wearing my brand new Arai that was being worn for the FIRST TIME.:mad::mad::mad: Fortunately, I was able to send it into them for an examination and it was fine.

When I totaled my NINJA 1000, it took a huge emotional toll on me. I thought, if there's anyone who shouldn't be totaling a bike, it's me. But I misjudged an unfamiliar corner in the twisties. It took me a long time to realize that no one (not even a RiderCoach) is perfect. I was worried about my job status until I found out that a couple other coaches whom I know and who are awesome coaches and great riders have been in at-fault bike accidents. Then the lightbulb came on: I asked myself if I would carry auto/bike insurance if it weren't legally required. The answer is an absolute YES. Why? Because anyone can make a mistake--including me.

Good luck with your scoot! You've got this!(y)(y)(y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
When I taught the MSF Basic Course, passing our range test earned the student their license without any State testing additionally. Our cone weave was much, much more reasonable. Our u-turn area was significantly wider. The state test, in my opinion, bears little relevance to real world riding.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Now I鈥檓 really screwed. Since my scooter is 149cc I am losing my motorcycle license for bikes bigger 150 or more. I will have to buy r rent a small bike somewhere and then reapply for the regular license. Until then I am illegal on my Goldwing. I feel like my life is over.

Visionary
Now I鈥檓 really screwed. Since my scooter is 149cc I am losing my motorcycle license for bikes bigger 150 or more. I will have to buy r rent a small bike somewhere and then reapply for the regular license. Until then I am illegal on my Goldwing. I feel like my life is over.
That stinks but it鈥檚 easy enough to fix. Rent a 250 or something and go take it again. You know you can do it easily enough on a small bike, don鈥檛 wait, get going and fix the problem. I wish you were closer, I鈥檇 be more than glad to loan you my Honda 400, it would be a breeze on that bike. The offer stands if you want to come pick it up and trailer it there and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CRracer712

Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L

I've never heard of such a thing! At least not here in the states.

Registered
Google says the GL1800 has a 3.4 meter turning radius and weighs over 800 lbs.
that would be a brutal machine to take any closed course test on. It's a two wheeled two person land yacht.
:cool: I think you should consider purchasing a second motorcycle. One for solo riding only.

Registered
I missed one cone and touched my foot down on the cone weave, but then dropped the bike on the u -turn. U-turns have never been easy for me on this big bike.
Sorry hear about your minor mishap, glad you didn't damage the bike or yourself.
As you say, the Wing is probably not the ideal bike for a tight obstacle course.

Just one of those days. You will be fine on the next attempt.

Registered
You guys are gradually moving in the same direction as the EU.

If you want to take the category A (any motorcycle) test here, you must use a
bike with engine capacity greater than 595cc, weight of at least 175kg (386lb)
and engine power of 50kW or more. Different rules apply for electric motorcycles,
although there aren't many of those on the roads here yet...

The weight requirement rules out some of the lighter sports bikes. The 50kW
power requirement excludes a lot of single and twin cylinder machines.

As a born-again biker in 2012, I had to do the mandatory training and take
the practical test. Happily, my Suzuki Bandit ticks all the boxes, so I was
able to use it for the test.

Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
When I taught the MSF Basic Course, passing our range test earned the student their license without any State testing additionally. Our cone weave was much, much more reasonable. Our u-turn area was significantly wider. The state test, in my opinion, bears little relevance to real world riding.
When MSF updated the curriculum in 2013, the skills test was changed to be the same as most or all (not sure) of the state administered tests, with the addition of a curve. Many states (including Missouri and some sites in Illinois) offer the skills test waiver in the BRC. Sometimes as experienced riders we forget how much slow speed maneuvering we have to do on our bikes such as straight lines, tight turns from stops, and, yes, the dreaded U-turns. It's just a part of everyday riding to us so we do it without thinking. It makes sense to test riders on these skills because at some point they'll be doing this stuff on public streets and the state wants evidence that riders aren't likely to crash every time they try to do it. Same with quick stops, swerves, and curves (although curves are an MSF thing, and a good thing IMHO). My objection to the updated testing is that a rider can flunk on the slow stuff because there is no maximum number of points that can be accumulated, but they can go 10 or 15 feet long on a quick stop and only be docked 5 points; the swerve has a max of 5, too. Things that can save your life aren't weighted as heavily as a stupid U-turn. It didn't used to be that way. No one from our state office can explain the rationale behind it (it's not their call, so I'm not calling them out on it in any way). Our failure rate for first-time student testers went up A LOT since they changed the test. In Missouri we have a threshold for the maximum number of points a student can get and still be eligible for a retest. The rationale here is that some critical skills weren't learned in the BRC and so it should be retaken. Makes sense. Thus, most students pass on the second try. I think it was another coach who said once that the skills test is like taking a selfie. Some days you snap one and you look dynamite; others somehow get posted to FB to your major embarrassment.:giggle: Vito, I'm sure that if you can get ahold of a suitable bike or scoot, you'll nail it. (y) (y) (y)

Premium Member
I will take Greta my Kawasaki 100 if I have to take a test. Defensive riding, stopping and cornering ability, plus common road sense, are more important IMO. I never did like the cone test. There are places I can ride that few can dream about, but that does not help with the license test. I also failed the depth perception test back in 69. I had a few words for their faulty machine after that.
The cops crash often when they do their tight cornering practice and drills. They ultimately are better at it than most others. Funny commercial up here, where the baddies are pushing their car up a snowy hill, and the cops in hot pursuit, are pushing theirs. UK

Registered
For a long time all you needed in Arkansas was an Operators license. When the state started requiring a "M" motorcycle endorsement, when you renewed your drivers license they asked if you rode a motorcycle, if you answered yes, you got the endorsement.

Not pertinent to this conversation, but that's just the way it was "a hunnert years ago.";);)

Registered
Maybe now is the time to buy the T120 and take the test on it? It's half the weight of your Wing. I'm really sorry to hear this Vito :(

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The T120 is supposed to be arriving any day now. I will get it, trading in the Goldwing, and then take the test again. I actually have until 8/1 to get this all done. But I think that this test will be a challenge even with a 500 pound bike. I'm thinking of trading in the 149 cc scooter for a used 250cc Nighthawk if I can find one at any dealer anywhere in the area.

Reactions: BAZININJA

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Don鈥檛 know. The local Yamaha dealer carries very little in his showroom

21 - 40 of 52 Posts