Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to renew my driver's license, and being 78 that meant an eye test as well as a road test. All went fine, but then I was told that I would have to take the "road" test for motorcycles as well to keep my motorcycle endorsement. I didn't think it about it and came back with my regular ride, my Goldwing. That was a big mistake. The "test" is in a parking area by the license office, and clearly is designed for little bikes. I guess I assumed that the test would be a real road test, and not the parking lot test for initial licensing. The cone weave has the cones about 10 feet or less apart, and the u-turn is in a very small area. I missed one cone and touched my foot down on the cone weave, but then dropped the bike on the u -turn. U-turns have never been easy for me on this big bike. So it was a fail for me. After over 35 years of riding and 10 years as an MSF instructor, this was like a sledgehammer to my ego. I can return tomorrow, which I will do, with my 150cc scooter and should have no trouble hopefully and all will end well, but this was one bad day for me. Part of me is embarrassed to even write this thread, but part of me felt that writing this would help me deal with the ego blow.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,143 Posts
You'll get it tomorrow!

I hadn't heard of a person having to take the rider course at a given age. Must be a state thing, or I don't know anyone that reupped at that age.

I know old folks that hadn't oughta drive a car though, and there was no driving course to deter them from driving.

·
Registered
787 Posts
So do you feel better now? This would be the part where I make up some story to make you feel better. Truth is I've never done what you did, but it's also the truth that I would imagine a whole lot of old timers (me included) would fail just as easily as you did being caught off gaurd. Would it be fair to say you haven't practiced that course on your Wing in a long time? Any damage to the Wing?

·
Registered
82 Posts
In Ontario they measure your wheel base and adjust the cones so it fair for everyone. Dropping the bike was what did it for sure. Everyone would have a bruised ego no doubt about it. Taking a big cruiser through that scenario is a fail for more people than you would image, and why nobody does that, well except you. It's a piece of cake on a small bike I'm sure:)

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No damage to me or my Goldwing, not even a scratch. But I needed help in getting it up. Makes me more sure that my decision to trade in the Wing for a much lighter bike is the right move. Hopefully by this time next week I will be riding a Triumph T120.

Reactions: Trials

·
Banned
513 Posts
What state are we talking about? My first motorcycle road test was back around the early '80's. The state I lived in prior didn't even require it. A state patrol officer had to follow me around a neighborhood. honking the horn once for left and twice to turn right. We got back and I thought I aced it. But he said I was going to slow so he flunked me. went back the next day and had no issues. That was in Texas. Funny thing is, I had ridden the bike there. SO I asked how was I supposed to get it home. He said, I'm goin' inside, I'm not gonna see what you do. LMAO

·
Registered
2011, Kawasaki, Z1000SX, Chain, Candy Line Green
48 Posts
Interesting. I wasn't aware that there is such kind of test in the states. But as said: You'll do it tomorrow!

·
Banned
513 Posts
Interesting. I wasn't aware that there is such kind of test in the states. But as said: You'll do it tomorrow!
There is a rider endorsement on my drivers license in Georgia. But mine carried over from Florida, which carried over from Texas. I don't think there is any requirement here to retake it for age.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is a rider endorsement on my drivers license in Georgia. But mine carried over from Florida, which carried over from Texas. I don't think there is any requirement here to retake it for age.
We have something similar here in Germany if you have a HGV licence. From a certain age on, you have to deliver a physical exam that performed by a doctor that clearly states your health. But everything else is basically "ageless". Sure every 15 or 20 yrs you have to get an updated licence with a "actual" picture of yourself but that is it.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Borrow a little street legal dirt bike for the next test. Practice on it before the test. Then you will pass.

·
Secret Agent
4,143 Posts
Vito has a scooter

·
Premium Member
9,330 Posts
Once upon a time I would loan an XL250 for folks taking the test.
I am not that good around the cones, even on my XS400. UK

·
Secret Agent
4,143 Posts
I'd recommend taking your scooter out tonight as a refresher. I'm used to my heavy AT, and when I get on my 230l, I tend to toss it around a little to aggressively right off the bat and in tight turns, it's clutch feel is totally different making me take a stab no and then until I get reacquainted

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m in Illinois. My renewal will be for only 3 years I believe, then I will have to do it again. My hopes to be riding until 90 might require me to move.

I went over to the test course with my 150cc scooter. The u-turn was easy, and I think I can do the cones but it is a challenge on the little bike as well. The other parts of the test should be easy. If I knew anyone with a small bike if 150cc or bigger I would ask to borrow it, but the scooter should do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I’m in Illinois. My renewal will be for only 3 years I believe, then I will have to do it again. My hopes to be riding until 90 might require me to move.

I went over to the test course with my 150cc scooter. The u-turn was easy, and I think I can do the cones but it is a challenge on the little bike as well. The other parts of the test should be easy. If I knew anyone with a small bike if 150cc or bigger I would ask to borrow it, but the scooter should do.
May I ask if you think the test is unfair or unnecessary or totally not related to any real world driving out there? And I if you don't mind if I ask you that, do you think those tests are okay in order to keep the streets more "safe"?

Cheers!

·
Secret Agent
4,143 Posts
Everyone here takes them initially to get a motorcycle endorsement on their license

·
Banned
513 Posts
I think like everything else it is a money making scheme for the state. They make money from the test, then they make money giving people tickets for not having the endorsement.

·
Zip
2,060 Posts
I think like everything else it is a money making scheme for the state. They make money from the test, then they make money giving people tickets for not having the endorsement.
They way it's implemented in most states (including my state of Ohio) I agree with you. The tests verify that you have the mechanical skills to operate and control the vehicle, but completely ignore the safe/defensive driving aspect. Getting an Ohio driver's license no more makes me a safe driver than slapping a license plate on my rump makes me a car.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts